That Mad Belgian

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: That Mad Belgian

Postby stepbystep » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 10:18 pm

He'd be super satisfied now. Epic job. He may well trot down to Cox's for midnight..!!
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby mikeb » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 10:21 pm

What an amazing days effort. Hope the walkers hut is warm and comfy. He might even be able to dry his sleeping bag.
mikeb
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby jmac » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 10:27 pm

Eagerly awaiting the evening tweet!
jmac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby mikeb » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 10:29 pm

mikeb wrote:What an amazing days effort. Hope the walkers hut is warm and comfy. He might even be able to dry his sleeping bag.

He might still be on the move - just targeted junction north of Cox Bight...
mikeb
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 10:45 pm

jmac wrote:As you arrive by vessel there's a pretty sternly worded sign prohibiting unauthorised vessels from entering the lagoon (sensitive bird nesting habitat) and insisting all vessels proceed to the jetty. Whether he could see it in the half-moonlight is another question.

Would he be able to see the signage in the dark? Or did you inform him prior?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby jmac » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 10:59 pm

GPSGuided wrote:Would he be able to see the signage in the dark? Or did you inform him prior?

Probably barely, and no.

I only remembered the sign from last summer's packrafting trip to the Solly and Old Rivers via Bathurst Harbour and the Ray Range.
jmac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby mikeb » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 11:05 pm

mikeb wrote:
mikeb wrote:What an amazing days effort. Hope the walkers hut is warm and comfy. He might even be able to dry his sleeping bag.

He might still be on the move - just targeted junction north of Cox Bight...

Looks like he’s staying put and we can all get some sleep tonight. Will be good to see him reach the South Coast tomorrow!
mikeb
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby doogs » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 5:35 am

day 47- 19 Sept. Boring rainy morning on Port Davey Track till Spring River. Mostly
sunny in the afternoon. Paddling to Melaleuca in the moon light. Un peu
tardif mais: Joyeux Anniversaire Sacha! Tomorrow South Coast Track with
30kg. 4 days maybe!

#TasmaniaWinterTrek

Excellent effort yesterday :) I'm now, finally, confident that he's going to make it to Cockle Creek.
Happy birthdsy Sacha!!
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lizzy » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 6:20 am

Well the packrafting nearly killed him but it’s also certainly saved him! Huge effort Louis :)
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 6:43 am

doogs wrote:
I'm now, finally, confident that he's going to make it to Cockle Creek.
!

I never had any doubt. He seemed very very keen on walking out to meet his sponsors, tv crews, helicopters and fans at Cockle.... :?
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby doogs » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 8:01 am

ILUVSWTAS wrote:
doogs wrote:
I'm now, finally, confident that he's going to make it to Cockle Creek.
!

I never had any doubt. He seemed very very keen on walking out to meet his sponsors, tv crews, helicopters and fans at Cockle.... :?

I'll get you a T-shirt. :)
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 8:09 am

Ah the merchandise van too of course.....
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MrWalker » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 8:28 am

He did really well yesterday, but I'm not convinced he can get to Cockle Creek in 4 days.
That will need about 21 km/day and his track speed is never over 2km/hr for the day. So he needs over 11 hrs walking each day.
Even he does some walking after dark in the moonlight that's going to require long days on little food.
If he does do the four days, then his reception committee will need to stay up until midnight to greet him at Cockle Creek. :roll:
MrWalker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby north-north-west » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 8:31 am

GPSGuided wrote:If LP hits Cox Bight in the coming days, he would have completed the north-south winter traverse of Tasmania. He doesn't need to reach Cockle Ck to claim that crown.

I don't get this. We have four seasons, not two. It's spring. How can travelling through the three weeks prior to the equinox be considered "winter"?
Yeah, pedantic again, but seriously . . . this is not winter.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 8:49 am

MrWalker wrote:He did really well yesterday, but I'm not convinced he can get to Cockle Creek in 4 days.
That will need about 21 km/day and his track speed is never over 2km/hr for the day. So he needs over 11 hrs walking each day.
Even he does some walking after dark in the moonlight that's going to require long days on little food.
If he does do the four days, then his reception committee will need to stay up until midnight to greet him at Cockle Creek. :roll:

We taking bets? I'm in for 4 days from here....
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 8:59 am

north-north-west wrote:
GPSGuided wrote:If LP hits Cox Bight in the coming days, he would have completed the north-south winter traverse of Tasmania. He doesn't need to reach Cockle Ck to claim that crown.

I don't get this. We have four seasons, not two. It's spring. How can travelling through the three weeks prior to the equinox be considered "winter"?

Although we usually go by calendar months, where Winter is June, July & August, it's arguably more technically correct to say that Winter is from the Winter Solstice, to the Equinox. This still caters for 4 seasons.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 9:01 am

north-north-west wrote:I don't get this. We have four seasons, not two. It's spring. How can travelling through the three weeks prior to the equinox be considered "winter"?

Yes, I didn’t get the definition of ‘winter’ either. But that’s another story.

The north-south coast to coast traverse is valid though.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby beardless » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 9:21 am

He well and truly started in winter
beardless
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Mark F » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 9:29 am

The winter solstice to spring equinox is considered winter in much of Europe. Similarly for the other seasons. I find this makes more sense of the climate living in Canberra than June 1 - August 31. It better accounts for the energy balance in the environment.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rangersac » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 9:29 am

Not an early starter is he? Almost 9:30am and no movement. Hard to get the SCT done in four days leaving several hours after sunup.
rangersac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Azza » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 9:42 am

Gotta get to Louisa River or somewhere within striking range of the Ironbounds today, then the rest of the days should fall into place.
Over Ironbounds to Prion Beach, then to Granite, should be able to make Cockle Creek the next day with an early start over the South Cape Range. They've recently fixed up the mud fest (a bit) haven't they?
Azza

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 9:51 am

rangersac wrote:Not an early starter is he? Almost 9:30am and no movement. Hard to get the SCT done in four days leaving several hours after sunup.

After the effort and late finish yesterday, I’d think he is exhausted. The aches and pains of this morning...
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 9:53 am

Mark F wrote:The winter solstice to spring equinox is considered winter in much of Europe. Similarly for the other seasons. I find this makes more sense of the climate living in Canberra than June 1 - August 31. It better accounts for the energy balance in the environment.

Thanks. Makes sense.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby AndyR » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 9:58 am

Son of a Beach wrote:
north-north-west wrote:

Although we usually go by calendar months, where Winter is June, July & August, it's arguably more technically correct to say that Winter is from the Winter Solstice, to the Equinox. This still caters for 4 seasons.

Winter is defined by meteorologists as the 3 months with the coldest average temperature which is why it's June, July and August (in the SH) which is in turn caused by the earth's tilt. So really, the tilt causes winter, it doesn't define it :D

Andy
AndyR
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 10:11 am

AndyR wrote:Winter is defined by meteorologists as the 3 months with the coldest average temperature which is why it's June, July and August (in the SH) which is...

The other practical reference is the Chinese lunar calendar, one that has seasons and astronomical dates defined and used by the farmers for a few thousand years. In it, the seasons are similarly divided per solstices and equinoxes. There’s no understanding of the months based seasons.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MrWalker » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 10:19 am

AndyR wrote:
Son of a Beach wrote:
north-north-west wrote:I don't get this. We have four seasons, not two. It's spring. How can travelling through the three weeks prior to the equinox be considered "winter"?

Winter is defined by meteorologists as the 3 months with the coldest average temperature which is why it's June, July and August (in the SH) which is in turn caused by the earth's tilt. So really, the tilt causes winter, it doesn't define it :D

Andy

I was going to point out that most Australians consider winter to be June to August, but I happen to have handy some figures on Chill Index.
Chill index combines the effect of temperature, rain and wind, so is a good measure of what it feels like out there.

For the coast between Cox Bight and South East Cape, the period with more than 97% chance of moderate or worse chill index on a given day is from about 10 July to 5 October.
So I think we can safely say that if Louis finishes before the end of September, this counts as a winter traverse.

This result surprised me a bit, but although July may have the coldest temperatures, August is wettest and September is windiest.
MrWalker

Postby AndyR » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 10:27 am

GPSGuided wrote:
AndyR wrote:Winter is defined by meteorologists as the 3 months with the coldest average temperature which is why it's June, July and August (in the SH) which is...

The other practical reference is the Chinese lunar calendar, one that has seasons and astronomical dates defined and used by the farmers for a few thousand years. In it, the seasons are similarly divided per solstices and equinoxes. There’s no understanding of the months based seasons.

That was sort of my point, "We" define winter, it's arbitrary based on what works for where you are. China covers something like 26 degrees of latitude and 40 degrees of longitude and thousands of years of history, they probably have different definitions in most provinces. I'm sure the Tasmanian indigenous groups had their own definition. I wouldn't go to China (actually where i am now) and tell them their definition of winter is wrong and the same in Tasmania, our definition is what it is for practical reasons, nothing else.
AndyR
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby mikeb » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 10:53 am

There are two different definitions of winter: the astronomical (using the dates of equinoxes and solstices) and the meteorological (starting the seasons on the first day of the months that include the equinoxes and solstices). The astronomical is a more accurate reflection of the period of the year that receives the least amount of solar radiation, while the meteorological involves a 'rounding down' to fit the monthly calendar.
https://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/aboutseasons.html
Mike
mikeb
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Mountain Rocket » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 10:58 am

Zzzzzz. No doubt he is suffering from his big effort yesterday, but if he hopes to reach Cockle Creek within 4 days he cannot afford to rest. Every single one of those days will have to be big, and that means getting up early and finishing late. I'll be very surprised if he makes it there by Sunday, more likely Monday/Tuesday imo, provided he doesn't faint of exhaustion first.
Mountain Rocket

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 11:04 am

Surely now he can start to consider discarding some of his gears to bring the weight down. Packraft can go for a start, right?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

PreviousNext

Return to Tasmania