That Mad Belgian

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: That Mad Belgian

Postby mikeb » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 11:11 am

GPSGuided wrote:Surely now he can start to consider discarding some of his gears to bring the weight down. Packraft can go for a start, right?

Suspect there aren't any rubbish bins at Melaleuca? He could possibly gift it to one of the Orange Bellied Parrot staff currently there but offloading equipment (and rubbish) might constitute support?
mikeb
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby mikeb » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 11:13 am

And he's finally off...
mikeb
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby bernieq » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 11:15 am

There is already enough crap dumped along the SCT - I certainly dont want any more !

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 11:19 am

mikeb wrote:Suspect there aren't any rubbish bins at Melaleuca? He could possibly gift it to one of the Orange Bellied Parrot staff currently there but offloading equipment (and rubbish) might constitute support?

I can imagine there'd be a rush of walkers to claim that packraft should he discard it. :mrgreen:

Historically explorers have always discarded gears or even ate camels to survive and claim their title. He can certainly return o retrieve them.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby RicktheHuman » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 11:32 am

Home stretch, he is on an actual track, less weight, 1 tough dude - Won't be surprised if he makes it out on Sunday. Much respect to Louis
I lika do da cha-cha
RicktheHuman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Overlandman » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 11:42 am

Whatever, Wherever, Whenever
Overlandman
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 12:18 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:I never had any doubt. He seemed very very keen on walking out to meet his sponsors, tv crews, helicopters and fans at Cockle.... :?

Are any of the Tassie crew going to meet him at Cockle? Being a unlearned mainlander I have no idea how you feasible it would be to there though... :P
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 12:20 pm

Mark F wrote:The winter solstice to spring equinox is considered winter in much of Europe. Similarly for the other seasons. I find this makes more sense of the climate living in Canberra than June 1 - August 31. It better accounts for the energy balance in the environment.

I can see the logic of that, but the days are lengthening, the weather is warming (erratically) . . . it makes more sense to me to make it 45 days either side of the solstice. But as there's a sound reason for it, I shall cease to quibble (aloud).
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby north-north-west » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 12:20 pm

wildwanderer wrote:
ILUVSWTAS wrote:I never had any doubt. He seemed very very keen on walking out to meet his sponsors, tv crews, helicopters and fans at Cockle.... :?

Are any of the Tassie crew going to meet him at Cockle? Being a unlearned mainlander I have no idea how you feasible it would be to there though... :P

It's not that far for a southerner. Less than two hours from nipaluna.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jmac » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 1:20 pm

There has been a generous offer from one member of this forum to meet, feed, collect him if he finishes between Sun PM and Tues. Not sure if the offerer is happy to be outed, or keep the offer on the quiet.

I think the more there to welcome him, the better. Wish I could go too, but I just don't think I can; Monday is reporting deadline and I have about 190 to do.

Steps are also being taken to encourage media.
jmac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mark F » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 1:44 pm

north-north-west wrote:
Mark F wrote:The winter solstice to spring equinox is considered winter in much of Europe. Similarly for the other seasons. I find this makes more sense of the climate living in Canberra than June 1 - August 31. It better accounts for the energy balance in the environment.

I can see the logic of that, but the days are lengthening, the weather is warming (erratically) . . . it makes more sense to me to make it 45 days either side of the solstice. But as there's a sound reason for it, I shall cease to quibble (aloud).

It is actually more about retained energy in the system rather than the amount of solar radiation received. The soil warms while more energy comes in from solar radiation than needed to maintain soil temperature and cools when there is a deficit. This means that soil temperature lags the highs and lows of solar input once you remove the daily peak and trough (upper 600mm or so of the soil profile). You will see from this graph that the lowest three months for soil temperature are late December/January to March while the highest soil temperature occurs in AUgust. Soil temperature is a key factor in determining plant growth.
https://www.researchgate.net/figure/225874880_Figure-1-Annual-soil-temperature-profile-for-South-East-UK
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mowser » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 2:05 pm

GPSGuided wrote:Surely now he can start to consider discarding some of his gears to bring the weight down. Packraft can go for a start, right?

There's no where to 'dump' gear unless he gives it away to someone, although there always seems to be plenty of gear 'forgotten' in the food drop room at the airstrip. And he'll want the raft for the Prion Crossing so he doesn't have to stuff around with boats. He does come across as having an ethos of 'leave nothing behind'....
Mowser
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 2:10 pm

jmac wrote:There has been a generous offer from one member of this forum to meet, feed, collect him if he finishes between Sun PM and Tues. Not sure if the offerer is happy to be outed, or keep the offer on the quiet.

It’d be a nice opportunity to turn the event into a BWA Meet-Up!
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby mikeb » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 2:47 pm

Less than 500m to the coast - wonder if he will wade in or have another swim to celebrate reaching this goal.
mikeb
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby north-north-west » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 2:53 pm

He seems to be getting slower the closer he gets to the coast. Get on with it!
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby gayet » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 3:19 pm

He is at the outlet of Freney so certainly made the South Coast. probably half way to Pt Eric by now
gayet

Region: Victoria

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 4:18 pm

north-north-west wrote:He seems to be getting slower the closer he gets to the coast. Get on with it!

Now he's actually made it to the south coast, he was probably spending some time to reflect on his past month... :mrgreen:
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Warin » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 4:23 pm

GPSGuided wrote:
north-north-west wrote:He seems to be getting slower the closer he gets to the coast. Get on with it!

Now he's actually made it to the south coast, he was probably spending some time to reflect on his past month... :mrgreen:

Extending the 'holiday' :?:
Or dragging out the suspense.

Could be trying to hit a news/press timing thing.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby mikeb » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 4:27 pm

Looks like he's heading for the Louisa River tonight to enable a possible Sunday finish
mikeb
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Mountain Rocket » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 4:28 pm

I reckon he's just buggered/exhausted, I know I would be! Those long beach walks won't be fun, especially still carrying a 30k pack. :shock:
Mountain Rocket

Postby Warin » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 5:12 pm

If you look at the elevations alongside the sea today .. they are upto 70 metres in error (e.g. -70 metres elevation when alongside the sea = impossible along that coast line. This goes back to that 50 metre error from a past posting here. The demonstrated vertical error here is fairly typical.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby rangersac » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 5:16 pm

Louisa River will be a stretch. The Louisa Creek campground is more likely now
rangersac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mark F » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 5:55 pm

I feel he would do himself a big favour by stopping when it gets dark and not pushing on. Then, reasonably rested, he can get going at first light and make the most of the free, very powerful, headlamp in the sky. It will also lower the risk of injury and shorten travel time - I reckon it takes 50% more time to cover the terrain he is in at night compared to daylight.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby geoskid » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 6:30 pm

Woohoo! Fantastic effort. I was sitting in my ute having a break and saw the 2.30 ping, but couldn't sit around long enough to see him reach the sea. Congratulations Louphi! Definitely earnt the #Mad tag.
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid

Postby wildwanderer » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 7:48 pm

I do wonder how much he can see... negotiating a bush track with only a partial moon. All while hauling 30kg.. a bit treacherous! :shock:
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jdeks » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 8:25 pm

north-north-west wrote:
GPSGuided wrote:If LP hits Cox Bight in the coming days, he would have completed the north-south winter traverse of Tasmania. He doesn't need to reach Cockle Ck to claim that crown.

I don't get this. We have four seasons, not two. It's spring. How can travelling through the three weeks prior to the equinox be considered "winter"?
Yeah, pedantic again, but seriously . . . this is not winter.

Not pedantic, entirely accurate. I agree, its not a true winter traverse, not based on our seasons.

Also - how in the hell is he at the end of his rations and still carrying 30 kilos? Did he ever publish a kit list? I cannot even figure how you'd get a base weight that high, let alone why you'd set off on a thru-hike carrying that. Really interested to understand his equipment rationale abit more...
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby Warin » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 8:35 pm

jdeks wrote:
north-north-west wrote:Also - how in the hell is he at the end of his rations and still carrying 30 kilos? Did he ever publish a kit list? I cannot even figure how you'd get a base weight that high, let alone why you'd set off on a thru-hike carrying that. Really interested to understand his equipment rationale abit more...

I'll never carry a pack raft for starters. Must be a few kg in that. Then add gopros, inreach, batteries for same,

There is still some 2 days of food .. so a kilo or so there, base weight for winter? 15 kg?
Leaves ~13 kg for the pack raft etc.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 8:50 pm

Maybe 3kg for the packraft, 600g-900g for the paddle. 2 kg dry suit. Plus pump, maybe a pfd..

He is probably carrying batteries for all the camera gear.

Plus expedition class tent, pack etc. And all the spares/repair stuff. He might have even bought along spare boots.. as it's a critical item he can't have fail.

I'm sure it all adds up.

Maybe he is not carrying 30kg anymore... Doubt he bought scales.. but after 47 days and reduced rations I'm sure it feels like he is carrying a house.
Last edited by wildwanderer on Thu 20 Sep, 2018 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Guido » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 9:21 pm

That, and he is carrying out all his waste as well, possibly including empty (and full) gas canisters et cetera.

Pushing on to Louisa River now. The man is a machine. He does not cease to amaze me.
Guido
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Postby MrWalker » Thu 20 Sep, 2018 9:34 pm

Well, I was totally wrong yesterday when i said he couldn't possibly do it in 4 days because he couldn't average the required 21 km/day.
He's done 22km and still going after 10 hrs. It looks like he doesn't plan to stop until he gets to Louisa River camp.
MrWalker

PreviousNext

Return to Tasmania