That Mad Belgian

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: That Mad Belgian

Postby north-north-west » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 4:23 pm

Unsupported and unresupplied. That means he probably can't even grab a hot shower. But he's probably allowed to kip under a roof at the visitors shelter and patch his mat there.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby MrWalker » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 4:59 pm

Overlandman wrote:Can he have a steak and spa at Cradle?
Read where his air mattress has a leak and needs to be blown up regularly.

No his trip is "unresupplied" so the steak is out. The spa might be OK, provided it doesn't use heated water.
He probably has a puncture repair kit buried at the bottom of his pack, under the inflatable raft. so It might be hard to get at, but I assume he'll fix it today, if he hasn't already.

He made quite good time today, but will need to camp just outside the park, since he won't make waterfall Valley tonight.
MrWalker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Warin » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 6:22 pm

MrWalker wrote:will need to camp just outside the park, since he won't make waterfall Valley tonight.

Humm looking at the Cradle Mt-Lake St Clair National Park boundary .. it is actually quite close to Pencil Pine Creek ... the western side is 'Reynolds Falls Nature Recreation Area' ... He has stopped well outside the NP .. but still a fair hike to Waterfall Valley! About 6km to get to the very start of the OLT.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby MrWalker » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 6:55 pm

Warin wrote:
MrWalker wrote:will need to camp just outside the park, since he won't make waterfall Valley tonight.

Humm looking at the Cradle Mt-Lake St Clair National Park boundary .. it is actually quite close to Pencil Pine Creek ... the western side is 'Reynolds Falls Nature Recreation Area' ... He has stopped well outside the NP .. but still a fair hike to Waterfall Valley! About 6km to get to the very start of the OLT.

Yes, he's obviously enjoying the wide open spaces and is spending a fourth night in a row out in the most exposed places he can find. I thought he would at least continue to the forest edge.
At the current rate of progress he won't make Waterfall Valley tomorrow.
MrWalker

Postby north-north-west » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 7:19 pm

He's halfway across Speeler Plains - I suspect he's pitched on the first flattish spot he cam to around dusk. Maybe two km to Pencil Pine, then the timber track to Ronny Creek. That much will be easy. Once he starts climbing again it's going to be worse than what he's already been through, although the forecast is for improved weather from Wednesday. Maybe going around to Scott Kilvert for the night would be a better option? Whichever way he goes, he can plead emergency and overnight at Kitchen or Rangers if necessary. Then Windermere the next day, which actually breaks up that part of the OT much better.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MrWalker » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 7:31 am

After 17 days and not quite finished the PCT he's still optimistic that he can finish it. His food weight must be only 2/3 by now, so that helps. And the track will be much better down the Overland Track, so that's all good. The snow might melt soon, but that will leave lots of slush and mud, which may cause some problems. But the snow melt will make the rivers he's rafting much faster, so he'll get down them in jiffy time, if he doesn't capsize.
Personally, I think he should stop here and try again next year, with a single resupply at Lake St Clair. That would dramatically speed up the PCT section.
MrWalker

Postby north-north-west » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 7:43 am

The rivers will be higher and faster and much more dangerous. How much white water experience does he have?
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 8:23 am

north-north-west wrote:The rivers will be higher and faster and much more dangerous. How much white water experience does he have?

Who knows.. but then his name isn't the sane Belgian is it....
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 3:23 pm

Using emergency shelter would have to mean 'supported'? (meh, we appreciate the effort so far, just have a steak/ relax in the spa)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Warin » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 7:49 pm

Not camping ... just resting ... :lol:

Don't think there is an 'emergency' shelter there. Think he'd be off early tomorrow to avoid visitors.
Unless he is planing on walking during the night :shock:
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby MrWalker » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 7:55 pm

If he started his previous walk to the south coast from Ronny Creek, then he has now walked from the north coast to the south coast, although in two separate trips.
After his rest there, he could stop and leave it at that, since he is well behind his planned time.
MrWalker

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 8:23 pm

Seems to me people here want him to stop ? Why do you want him to stop??
I don't know Louis at all but the person I see from his online posts will not stop. He will ration the food he has and go on. Even if it means not eating for a day or 2.
I'm heading off to do the OT tomorrow and am hoping to pass him on the way and simply say gday mate, you go. You just keep on going!
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bumpingbill » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 8:47 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:I'm heading off to do the OT tomorrow and am hoping to pass him on the way and simply say gday mate, you go. You just keep on going!

Have a chat to him, get some of his stories, and report back!

I'm really enjoying following his trek. I check in every night, see where he is.
bumpingbill
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby beardless » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 8:49 pm

I am cheering him on. If he completes the walk it will be an amazing feat. Inspiring as to what is possible. And he is doing it for science. I think others are just being realistic about his chances.
beardless
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Warin » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 9:02 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:I'm heading off to do the OT tomorrow and am hoping to pass him on the way and simply say gday mate, you go. You just keep on going!

By all means say gday. Let him know that people are following. Oh.. and take some snacks off him :)

I'm not discouraging, nor encouraging, but observing with interest. It is his trip so he sets the 'rules'. As long as he does not disadvantage others then there is no problem.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jdeks » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 9:08 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:Seems to me people here want him to stop ? Why do you want him to stop??
I don't know Louis at all but the person I see from his online posts will not stop. He will ration the food he has and go on. Even if it means not eating for a day or 2.
I'm heading off to do the OT tomorrow and am hoping to pass him on the way and simply say gday mate, you go. You just keep on going!

I think it's more that many people familiar with the area think he's not fully appreciated/planned/prepped for this one, and see stopping as an inevitability, with only a question of how much suffering he inflicts on himself out of pride before coming to this conclusion himself.

Having had a chat with someone whom he 'consulted' with (talked to, then ignored) for his failed Simpson foot crossing, I tend to see where they're coming from.
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby doogs » Wed 22 Aug, 2018 7:15 am

Go for it loopy LouPhi.
He will be able to save a couple of days by not climbing the peaks on his itinerary. Also by not doing the SCT and popping down to the south coast and flying out from Melaleuca (still a N-S traverse). Plenty of time to still complete the trip or he wouldn't be still out there.
He hasn't called a chopper or changed his plans to make it a incomplete walk and he certainly seems to have captured the imagination of many on here. He's also got a 'true' winter traverse on his hands!
Ignore the naysayers LouPhi. Keep on trucking on!
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Wherever I may roam » Wed 22 Aug, 2018 8:43 am

According to his itinerary he intends to climb Cradle Mt. This is a view from the carpark this morning. Good luck Louis!!!
Attachments
Cradle Mt 22 Aug 2018.PNG
Cradle Mt 22 Aug 2018.PNG (705.57 KiB) Viewed 21301 times
Wherever I may roam
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby bushwalker zane » Wed 22 Aug, 2018 10:02 am

He's also got a pretty good looking forecast for the overland (As do you ILUVSWTAS - enjoy!).

Weather.jpg

I think it's all a good bit of fun! :D
bushwalker zane
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Warin » Wed 22 Aug, 2018 10:28 am

Off at 10.08.. see what you mean about late starts.
That does not leave much time to climb Cradle and get to Waterfall Valley...
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby MrWalker » Wed 22 Aug, 2018 11:46 am

Warin wrote:Off at 10.08.. see what you mean about late starts.
That does not leave much time to climb Cradle and get to Waterfall Valley...

Given he picture of Cradle Mt shown above, I suspect he'll skip the climb and make up time by going straight to Windermere.
With his pack a bit lighter now and a good track he should be able to make it.
Or he might just walk until 6:30pm and stop wherever he is at the time.
MrWalker

Postby jmac » Wed 22 Aug, 2018 1:10 pm

Picture just sent through by Graeme Pennicott, from the Crater Lake overlook.
Attachments
39954945_650851815296427_5501687359093080064_n.jpg
39954945_650851815296427_5501687359093080064_n.jpg (73.09 KiB) Viewed 21246 times
jmac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jmac » Wed 22 Aug, 2018 1:49 pm

There has been some discussion and speculation about his paddling experience and plans. He seems to have done a bit of paddling in the past, most notably on the Maranon River in Peru; although he would agree it is not his area of technical strength. I spent quite a bit of time discussing his options with him, and advising him on what he should consider paddling. Basically I advised him to paddle L St. Clair, L King William, L Gordon and L Pedder, depending upon wind conditions. I suggested he could look at the Derwent between L St Clair and L King William, with a caveat that it includes fast and difficult sections without eddies, that he should walk around.

Between L King William and L Gordon will be the interesting section for route choice. I expressed upon him in the strongest possible terms not to attempt the Gordon Gorge, but he remains very keen to look at it. He wants to ascend the southern KWs from the gap, traverse south and drop off towards the air strip, then work his way towards Gordon Vale and the Gorge. He remembers some of that line from last time. He knows the Gordon can possibly be paddled from about Gell River junction down, with an interminable number of logs to negotiate. I proposed two routes to him; 1) I showed him the traverse from Gell River via the Spires, Shining/Conical/Pokana to L Gordon, in an attempt to dissuade him from considering the Gorge, and 2) the clear ridge from the low northern end of the Stepped Hills down to Boyes Basin for a similar result.

He tried to find a paddler willing to do the Gordon Gorge with him. There was no acceptance at the time he departed. He was still indicating that he wants to at least enter it's top end and look at it; although I advised him that escape routes from it are few and difficult.

In terms of safety; one other piece of important advice I gave him was to always wear his drysuit whenever on water, with his PLB secured within reach, on his person.

J.
jmac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jdeks » Wed 22 Aug, 2018 5:51 pm

jmac wrote: I expressed upon him in the strongest possible terms not to attempt the Gordon Gorge, but he remains very keen to look at it. He wants to ascend the southern KWs from the gap, traverse south and drop off towards the air strip, then work his way towards Gordon Vale and the Gorge. He remembers some of that line from last time. He knows the Gordon can possibly be paddled from about Gell River junction down, with an interminable number of logs to negotiate. I proposed two routes to him; 1) I showed him the traverse from Gell River via the Spires, Shining/Conical/Pokana to L Gordon, in an attempt to dissuade him from considering the Gorge, and 2) the clear ridge from the low northern end of the Stepped Hills down to Boyes Basin for a similar result.

He tried to find a paddler willing to do the Gordon Gorge with him. There was no acceptance at the time he departed. He was still indicating that he wants to at least enter it's top end and look at it; although I advised him that escape routes from it are few and difficult.

He's disregarded advice before. With his schedule slipping, I wonder what his intentions are now regarding Gordon Gorge....
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby Overlandman » Wed 22 Aug, 2018 6:45 pm

Thanks for the info jmac
He has summited Cradle Mountain and maybe overnighting at Kitchen Hut.
Magic day up there today. :D
Regards OLM

Edit. Heading towards Waterfall Valley.

https://eur-share.inreach.garmin.com/louphi

http://www.louis-philippe-loncke.com
Last edited by Overlandman on Thu 23 Aug, 2018 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Whatever, Wherever, Whenever
Overlandman
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby MrWalker » Wed 22 Aug, 2018 7:03 pm

Overlandman wrote:He has summited Cradle Mountain and maybe overnighting at Kitchen Hut.
Edit. Heading towards Waterfall Valley.

He couldn't stay in Kitchen Hut because you can only use that in an emergency. And this is clearly not an emergency because he didn't need to spend three hours climbing Cradle Mt. :roll:
MrWalker

Postby Warin » Wed 22 Aug, 2018 7:23 pm

MrWalker wrote:He couldn't stay in Kitchen Hut because you can only use that in an emergency. And this is clearly not an emergency because he didn't need to spend three hours climbing Cradle Mt. :roll:

I don't think he is supposed to camp where he is tonight or the last night...
At least he is in close proximity to a toilet, assuming it is still functional for winter.

edit -
Humm stopped at 20:40 not where I thought he'd stop. (no toilet there)
Trying to make waterfall valley ? .. but no chance given the time and distance.
If he had not spent time cresting cradle then I think he may have made it.
Last edited by Warin on Thu 23 Aug, 2018 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mechanic-AL » Wed 22 Aug, 2018 8:33 pm

bushwalker zane wrote:
Weather.jpg

:D

Gotta love the BOM. All that snow laying around and they still think it necessary to advise of " morning frost '. :P
"What went ye out into the wilderness to see?
A reed shaken in the wind"?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Nuts » Thu 23 Aug, 2018 4:58 pm

MrWalker wrote:He couldn't stay in Kitchen Hut because you can only use that in an emergency. And this is clearly not an emergency because he didn't need to spend three hours climbing Cradle Mt. :roll:

Oh :(
Came to see how he was going, just lost interest.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bumpingbill » Thu 23 Aug, 2018 8:40 pm

Big day today.

He made it to Windermere camp around 8:30pm for night 20.
bumpingbill
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

PreviousNext

Return to Tasmania