That Mad Belgian

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: That Mad Belgian

Postby NickMonk » Tue 25 Sep, 2018 10:42 pm

jdeks wrote:
north-north-west wrote:There's a good bit of public roads and MVOs on the PCT. Plus he walked from the top of McPartlans, over the bridge and down to the boat ramp on the Gordon River Rd (which is possibly a bit picky, but if he's claiming no road walking then anything other than unavoidable crossings are an issue).

Yep. And they're still referring to it as unresupplied and unsupported too, with LouPhi declaring it a "world record" in that regard.

I guess we're all being expected to overlooked these little details.

Having spent a fair old time with LP yesterday I can tell you in no way is he claiming unsupported. He reeled off about board walks, GPS, messages, paths, advice, people that assisted when he nearly drowned in The Derwent etc all as examples of support. He didn't mention the term 'world record' and I suspect some of these 'issues' you are raising are semantics and misinterpretation from the media.

Why are we being pedantic and negative about this?
NickMonk
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Postby NickMonk » Tue 25 Sep, 2018 10:45 pm

Also, while his English is very good, it's not perfect. It's my understanding his aim was to use as few roads as was possible. But clearly there are linkages on the PCT so it makes perfect sense to use them.
BTW he described the PCT as incredibly dangerous in places, and in his opinion needs to be closed.
NickMonk
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby mikeb » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 4:11 am

For those that haven’t already seen it ABC story available at 19:00 here: https://iview.abc.net.au/show/abc-late- ... 824H172S00
mikeb
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby durks » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 6:09 am

NickMonk wrote:BTW he described the PCT as incredibly dangerous in places, and in his opinion needs to be closed.

Would any locals care to comment on the state of that track? Anybody else been on it relatively recently?
durks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 6:40 am

durks wrote:
NickMonk wrote:BTW he described the PCT as incredibly dangerous in places, and in his opinion needs to be closed.

Would any locals care to comment on the state of that track? Anybody else been on it relatively recently?

A group were rescued by helicopter a year or so ago after finding sections too dangerous to proceed. I have not heard of anyone doing this walk since then.

Have to agree with Nick, people are way too picky and quick to point out the fact he walked on a road... oh no he walked on road........... he was still the first person we know of to do a full Tasmania traverse carrying all his food and gear the entire leg. It is a mammoth achievement. To be honest those picking holes in the story just come across as being bitter and grumpy.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby durks » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 6:49 am

ILUVSWTAS wrote:A group were rescued by helicopter a year or so ago after finding sections too dangerous to proceed. I have not heard of anyone doing this walk since then.

Thanks for the info.
durks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jdeks » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 6:56 am

NickMonk wrote:Having spent a fair old time with LP yesterday I can tell you in no way is he claiming unsupported. He reeled off about board walks, GPS, messages, paths, advice, people that assisted when he nearly drowned in The Derwent etc all as examples of support. He didn't mention the term 'world record' and I suspect some of these 'issues' you are raising are semantics and misinterpretation from the media.

You might want to have a talk with the ABC then. http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-2 ... fmredir=sm

A Belgian adventurer has emerged from the Tasmanian wilderness cut, bruised and 15 kilos lighter.

But, he's got a new record under his belt.

Louis-Philippe Loncke has acquired the nickname "Mad Belgian" after spending the last 52 days completing the world's first un-resupplied winter crossing of mainland Tasmania from Penguin, in the state's north, to the South Cape, a distance of around 550 kilometres

During this incident he lost his day bag.

"There's now a reward if you find my bag with my camera in there, you can keep the sunglasses," he said. "I've lost equipment, but I've earned this world record."

He also lost his head torch, and on some nights could only see by moonlight.

That's them directly quoting him on the world record claim. They also talk up the torch los, but then completely omit that he picked up a replacement.

NickMonk wrote:Why are we being pedantic and negative about this?

The real question is why are you, and others, trying to invalidate factual accuracy by directing petty personal attacks at anyone who examines the details?

Its not semantics at all. This is being called a world record winter unresupplied crossing, when he did half of it in spring and picked up gear along the way. That's factually inconsistent, plain and simple.
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby Orion » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 7:55 am

ILUVSWTAS wrote:A group were rescued by helicopter a year or so ago after finding sections too dangerous to proceed. I have not heard of anyone doing this walk since then.

I heard that some Belgian guy did it recently. :-)
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 7:56 am

Orion wrote:

I heard that some Belgian guy did it recently. :-)

Huh, he must be MAD!
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 8:12 am

Put a question to clubs /local walkers or even a search here would hint at what he was up against, fallen logs and slippery, steep banks. With 60+kg would have been an obvious nightmare.

Who cares regarding 'records' though, I don't get that.. he did an awesome job..so he's the first cross in winter only needing to replace his sunnies.. beat that.
And there is, goodness me, the real concern. Quaint little 'corner of the internet' and would have very likely stayed right here but then bloggers, photogs (who rarely bother sharing a breath) and da media.. arrive... here's me concerned that Loius-Phillipe decided to use a tracker but ta-da - the media, with their evocative terms like 'record'.. implying a challenge, spread to the world. So now- China? Really?

It was great to see friendly locals making an effort for him but why not just simply do that? Low-key you know, like last time.. :roll:

(I think this is the first topic on here I have regretted )
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 8:56 am

In what ways was the track dangerous? Cliffs?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby doogs » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 9:06 am

Without wanting to upset anyone *flap* I don't really care to be honest, but.. It appears to be mainly folks who haven't done many multiday off track walks and packrafting trips that are picking holes in his achievements and those who have experienced some of what he has that are applauding his efforts. Just sayin'.
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Orion » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 9:08 am

Took a look back in older threads and found a report of a helicopter rescue in February 2017. They got off route and someone fell and was injured. Is that the one you're thinking of?

In January 2017 someone did it solo in 4 days!

I couldn't find anything more recent though... well until recently that is.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 9:15 am

tastrax wrote:Nursing a few wounds but arrived at Cockle Creek. Enjoyed the Belgian chocolates!

4D71A3E5-FADF-4C15-A823-B4B50E5CBFD4.jpeg

FS['TAS] Bushwalking and packrafting equipment. Full winter standard kit including drysuit amd snowshoes. Only used on one trip.
Price negotiable. Prepared to swap for first class ticket to Port Douglas or Margot Robbie's address.

(NB: some minor repairs may be needed.)
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby north-north-west » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 9:33 am

NickMonk wrote:Having spent a fair old time with LP yesterday I can tell you in no way is he claiming unsupported. He reeled off about board walks, GPS, messages, paths, advice, people that assisted when he nearly drowned in The Derwent etc all as examples of support. He didn't mention the term 'world record' and I suspect some of these 'issues' you are raising are semantics and misinterpretation from the media.

Why are we being pedantic and negative about this?

I'm not being negative. I'm in awe of his achievement. It was a phenomenal performance. I'm being pedantic because I am pedantic. Welcome to AspieWorld.

Words have meaning. There has to be some sort of consensus as to that meaning or real communication is impossible. No claim to a major achievement can be valid if it is not subject to examination. If you define unsupported as including a complete avoidance of road-walking, any road-walking apart from crossings negates that.

The Leven Canyon section is the only dangerous bit and while it would be particularly iffy in winter or after heavy rain it is still a viable route for experienced and properly prepared walkers. His problems - and his perception of the track - are mostly due to the season, the load he carried and his being unaware of the true nature of that stretch.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jdeks » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 11:39 am

doogs wrote:Without wanting to upset anyone *flap* I don't really care to be honest, but.. It appears to be mainly folks who haven't done many multiday off track walks and packrafting trips that are picking holes in his achievements and those who have experienced some of what he has that are applauding his efforts. Just sayin'.

Oh look, more specious character attacks.

So "without wanting to upset anyone", youre making a bunch of baseless, irrelevant and false assumptions against other forum members in an attempt at adhominem by typecast, because we're upsetting the narrative you want to build around this, by pointing out established facts?

But thanks for highlighting exactly why its important that the details need to be divorced from the sentiment when it comes to claimed record-setting.

As NNW has pointed out, criteria become meaningless if people.change the meaning to whatever suits them at the time.
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby doogs » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 12:10 pm

jdeks wrote:
doogs wrote:Without wanting to upset anyone *flap* I don't really care to be honest, but.. It appears to be mainly folks who haven't done many multiday off track walks and packrafting trips that are picking holes in his achievements and those who have experienced some of what he has that are applauding his efforts. Just sayin'.

By being a pedant you are attacking the character of Lou Phi. I am merely trying to highlight this point. He can't and has no reason to lie as his trip is recorded in his blog reports and inreach plot. English is not his first language so what he meant by world record may be completely different to how we interpret it.
He has just walked out of the bush after a gargantuan few weeks, for *&^%$# sake leave him alone!!!!!

Oh look, more specious character attacks.

So "without wanting to upset anyone", youre making a bunch of baseless, irrelevant and false assumptions against other forum members in an attempt at adhominem by typecast, because we're upsetting the narrative you want to build around this, by pointing out established facts?

But thanks for highlighting exactly why its important that the details need to be divorced from the sentiment when it comes to claimed record-setting.

As NNW has pointed out, criteria become meaningless if people.change the meaning to whatever suits them at the time.

Not nice to have your character atracked is it?
By being a pedant you are attacking the character of Lou Phi. I find that highly rude and unfair. This guy has just walked out of the bush after a gargantuan couple of weeks. English is not his first language so wehat he meant to say by world record may be completely different to how we interpret it.
He has no reason to lie and can't as his trip is detailed in his blog reports and his inreach plot.
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jdeks » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 12:39 pm

doogs wrote:By being a pedant you are attacking the character of Lou Phi. I am merely trying to highlight this point. He can't and has no reason to lie as his trip is recorded in his blog reports and inreach plot. English is not his first language so what he meant by world record may be completely different to how we interpret it.
He has just walked out of the bush after a gargantuan few weeks, for *&^%$# sake leave him alone!!!!!

By being a pedant you are attacking the character of Lou Phi. I find that highly rude and unfair. This guy has just walked out of the bush after a gargantuan couple of weeks. English is not his first language so wehat he meant to say by world record may be completely different to how we interpret it.
He has no reason to lie and can't as his trip is detailed in his blog reports and his inreach plot.

You can find it as rude and unfair as you like - you're the one building strawmen then throwing tantrums because they offend you.

Nobody here has attacked LouPhi even once, certainly not like you are towards others. We've done nothing more than pointing out the facts of his trip, as LouPhi has published himself in the very blog you refer to. That's not a character attack by any measure, no matter how.much you you jump upnand down with hysterical double posts riddled with profanity and name calling.

Stick to the facts please.
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby doogs » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 12:55 pm

jdeks wrote:
doogs wrote:By being a pedant you are attacking the character of Lou Phi. I am merely trying to highlight this point. He can't and has no reason to lie as his trip is recorded in his blog reports and inreach plot. English is not his first language so what he meant by world record may be completely different to how we interpret it.

You can find it as rude and unfair as you like - you're the one building strawmen then throwing tantrums because they offend you.

Nobody here has attacked LouPhi even once, certainly not like you are towards others. We've done nothing more than pointing out the facts of his trip, as LouPhi has published himself in the very blog you refer to. That's not a character attack by any measure, no matter how.much you you jump upnand down with hysterical double posts riddled with profanity and name calling.

Stick to the facts please.

Wowsers. All facts and no tantrums from me.. and certainly no profanity.
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 1:15 pm

Regarding the road walking. In the context of other walks across Tassie, that would be the correct way to define Loupi's walk from all those who have walked eg. The Tassie Trail.
'World Record' is also correct, just clumsy isn't it? (from wherever it came); Nobody had done/ or recorded doing anything like it to compare, so there were no 'records'. 'World First' or some such? (Anything but 'record'). It's done, been done, well done, move on..
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jdeks » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 1:17 pm

doogs wrote:.... for *&^%$# sake leave him alone!!!!!

doogs wrote:All facts and no tantrums from me.. and certainly no profanity.

Well, that explains your flexible standards on definitions I suppose :lol:
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby farefam » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 1:19 pm

Getting back on track.......

Congratulations to Louis on his big trip. Regardless of how anyone wants to view the merits of it, I think the one thing we can all agree on, is that a life with some genuine adventure in it, is a life well lived. And isn't an adventurous life, something great to look back on, either when we finally end our days in a nursing home, or use the memories as motivation for our next adventure?

Perhaps the communal sharing of his motivation is Louis' greatest achievement.
farefam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 1:35 pm

Nuts wrote:Regarding the road walking. In the context of other walks across Tassie, that would be the correct way to define Loupi's walk from all those who have walked eg. The Tassie Trail.
'World Record' is also correct, just clumsy isn't it? (from wherever it came); Nobody had done/ or recorded doing anything like it to compare, so there were no 'records'. 'World First' or some such? (

World First works for me.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby doogs » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 2:38 pm

north-north-west wrote:
Nuts wrote:Regarding the road walking. In the context of other walks across Tassie, that would be the correct way to define Loupi's walk from all those who have walked eg. The Tassie Trail.
'World Record' is also correct, just clumsy isn't it? (from wherever it came); Nobody had done/ or recorded doing anything like it to compare, so there were no 'records'. 'World First' or some such? (

World First works for me.

+1.
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby slparker » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 4:05 pm

I am sure that Aboriginal Tasmanians did a few unsupported, off-road winter north south traverses in the last 30 000 years but I doubt if they were 'mad' enough to do it over the mountains.

Not taking anything away from the Mad Belgian but this isn't a world first. Although it does somewhat depend upon your definition of un-resupplied, I suppose - living off the land probably wouldn't count - (and I do see there has already been an argument about whether Loupi's winning of water from creeks counts as a resupply...)

best I bow out of this discussion before someone passes the semanticometer over it...
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 5:24 pm

Its taken 33 pages for people to start having a go at each other. Most forums, that starts on about the 5th post! We have done well so far.
Walking on road. Sometimes that is unavoidable.
Keeping it low key. That is a very Australian thing but these sort of adventures don't fund themselves and if getting some free gear/cash means promoting yourself, well that's what you need to do. He doesn't come across as a narcissist to me. Quite the opposite.

Inspirational, for me most definitely. I'm already dreaming of walking the AAWT unsupplied. I'll be sleeping in any hut I can find though and I wont need any assistance (unassisted) finding them :D

It is inspirational and I love his quote "You might fail on the first day or the last 200 metres" (sic)
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 5:48 pm

I agree that there needs to be some clear definitions when records are claimed. Also agree that our Belgian friend has done a fantastic job and should be congratulated, something that's completely separate to verification of his record. A properly defined record is but necessary to assist others in future to match or exceed or be inspired, irrespective whether those differences are worth anything. It's just the proper process for historical documentation, as any archaeologist, historian or even Guinness Book of Record would do. No need to get emotional over it. Fact is, no one here is not inspired by his incredible feat of last 2 months and being entertained.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wildwanderer » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 6:19 pm

One thing I believe is often overlooked in debates such as these is that we are talking about a real person. It’s not some arbitrary object like refrigerator that may or may not have met a range of criteria for a certain standard.

Lou Phi has just come from a 52 day massively physical and mentally challenging expedition. We don’t know what his support base is at home. Maybe there are 1000 Belgians all ready to cheer and welcome him home... or maybe this forum is the biggest support base he has.. If I was Lou Phi and I had a look at the last couple pages of this thread, honestly Id feel quite deflated and wouldnt be jumping on to say hi.

I guess we all watch the news and see the media tear people to shreds and so it kind of desensitizes us to it all. (not saying we are doing the same here but I think the time for a robust debate on criteria is not 24 hours after someone has just done a 52 day absolutely exhausting expedition, especially when that person may read our comments)
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mowser » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 8:36 pm

wildwanderer wrote:One thing I believe is often overlooked in debates such as these is that we are talking about a real person. It’s not some arbitrary object like refrigerator that may or may not have met a range of criteria for a certain standard.

Lou Phi has just come from a 52 day massively physical and mentally challenging expedition. We don’t know what his support base is at home. Maybe there are 1000 Belgians all ready to cheer and welcome him home... or maybe this forum is the biggest support base he has.. If I was Lou Phi and I had a look at the last couple pages of this thread, honestly Id feel quite deflated and wouldnt be jumping on to say hi.

I guess we all watch the news and see the media tear people to shreds and so it kind of desensitizes us to it all. (not saying we are doing the same here but I think the time for a robust debate on criteria is not 24 hours after someone has just done a 52 day absolutely exhausting expedition, especially when that person may read our comments)

Great point Wild Wanderer. I spent about 6hours with LouPhi yesterday and spent most of that time chatting with him. Fact is, his support base is not massive. When he finished he called his mum to let her know he was alive and well. He has a day job that helps him support these adventures. He's not particularly looking to have his name etched somewhere - he'll put the all the documentation up in regards to his trip and people can judge for themselves from there. Give it some time.

He does acknowledge that he had to trek a bit of road at the start and do a couple of road crossings but in my opinion, and having done a large portion of the route he has completed (in many many separate trips and not the pack rafting!), he has done something pretty special. He is well aware of this forum and the fact it is now some 33 pages long and did comment to me that he'd have a read. Without me bringing it up, he did mention that his definition of un-resupplied was to not take on any additional food or fuel for stove. He didn't mention the words 'world first' or 'world record' to me. He was a little down on the fact he didn't walk out to South East Cape. I think a trek from Bass Straight to the south coast without taking on any additional food is an amazing feat in the modern age. And in winter, well that's next level stuff.

His passion for Tassie and its wilderness is amazing. He loves the place and I hope he returns for another Mad Adventure soon! Bravo LouPhi.
Mowser
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby jmac » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 9:36 pm

The infamous dodgy sleeping mat with multiple patches.
jmac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

PreviousNext

Return to Tasmania