That Mad Belgian

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: That Mad Belgian

Postby wildwanderer » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 11:10 am

mikeb wrote:He's on the move again, heading towards the Gordon River Road. Wonder why he is staying away from the easier road along the canal?

He may not be aware of it. From the sat photo looks like some trees obscuring vision of the road from his postion.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 11:13 am

mikeb wrote:He's on the move again, heading towards the Gordon River Road. Wonder why he is staying away from the easier road along the canal?

It's not shown on some maps so he may not know it's there. Then there's the scrub along the side of it. The line he has taken from his camp this morning has been good, as it avoided the worst bit of that creek crossing.
If he's close enough he should see some open bits between the scrub a bit further along that would get him to the vehicle track, and make the last bit to the road easy.

stepbystep wrote:If he gets to Cox Bight he's done a true north to south solo winter traverse, he could then fly out of Melaleuca...job done!

Yep. Not like he was aiming at northernmost to southernmost, so as long as he hits the coast it qualifies. Not exactly unresupplied or unsupported, but still a stunning effort.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby north-north-west » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 11:15 am

north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rangersac » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 11:29 am

He does say on his expedition bio that he is actively avoiding vehicle tracks and asphalt roads so it's probably a deliberate decision.
rangersac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wildwanderer » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 11:46 am

north-north-west wrote:Yep. Not like he was aiming at northernmost to southernmost, so as long as he hits the coast it qualifies. Not exactly unresupplied or unsupported, but still a stunning effort.

Maybe not technically unresupplied as he needed to get new safety equipment when his washed down the river. (head torch). However in my book the trip still counts as unresupplied as he carried all the food and equipment for the entire journey with no equipment/food drops along the way. Unsupported.. well maybe not by old explorer standards seeing as he gets inreach weather updates, gps tracking and also route advice from jmac but its the modern era so some coms are expected. Its not like someone came and carried his pack for him for a day.

So personally Id be happy to refer to his trip as unresupplied and unsupported. others may have different thoughts.

Amazing skill, effort and determination to get this far! Go Louis!
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby gayet » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 12:08 pm

Looks like he is at the road. Just under 2hrs from the start this morning.
gayet
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 12:11 pm

The marker is on the bridge. Just a couple of minutes to the boat ramp and then we'll see how he goes with the next bout of paddling.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby mikeb » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 12:23 pm

north-north-west wrote:The marker is on the bridge. Just a couple of minutes to the boat ramp and then we'll see how he goes with the next bout of paddling.

Still pretty windy out there!
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDT60801 ... 5958.shtml
mikeb
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby north-north-west » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 12:43 pm

Awkward direction - he can pick up some shelter in Hermit Basin and Stillwater Reach, but he's still paddling into the wind. Glad I'm not him.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jmac » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 12:54 pm

Lou-Phi has just been met at the bridge with a friendly chat; apparently he looks fine; in good condition with strength to continue. Report is also that the weather is quite good at the lake right now, in which case he should make the most of it and get as far towards the PD Track as possible while conditions aren't too bad.
jmac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mountain Rocket » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 12:56 pm

Excellent news thanks for the update jmac! Geez he must be getting hungry, that last 4.7kg would be so hard to resist.
Mountain Rocket

Postby doogs » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 12:58 pm

I'm working on a boat today in The Channel and the winds would be pretty favourable for heading South East. Let's hope it's similar on Lake Pedder.
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Warin » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 1:16 pm

jmac wrote:Lou-Phi has just been met at the bridge with a friendly chat; apparently he looks fine;

That is very good news.

The track alongside the canal was not in OSM. I have just put it in. My usual practice when planning a trip is to look at the data in OSM and compare it to the satellite views. What is missing I'll put into OSM so I can use it while away. This has to be done at least 2 months out to get the data through to my preferred map renderings.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Graham17 » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 1:32 pm

Yes excellwnt news thanks jmac
Graham17
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 1:50 pm

When I saw him at pelion he mentioned unsupported is almost impossible as the boardwalk is support... the smiles from fellow walkers and encouragement is support. It seemed he was a bit vague in that area. Unsupplied did seem to be the important bit. I think he has tv or radio commitments on or after the mentioned return date and that's why he wants to be in town by that date. Great effort so far and I can see him making it to Cockle from here. If he has 4.5kg of food left that would give him about 500grams per day which should be plenty to finish the trip.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jdeks » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 2:07 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:Unsupplied did seem to be the important bit.

Well, he's going to be disappointed in that regard - he resupplied himself , simple as that.

wildwanderer wrote:Maybe not technically unresupplied as he needed to get new safety equipment when his washed down the river. (head torch). However in my book the trip still counts as unresupplied as he carried all the food and equipment for the entire journey with no equipment/food drops along the way.

Just because it wasn't a 'planned' drop doesn't make it any less of a resupply. I'd say depending on outside support for hard equipment is far more significant than a food drop. One could argue that sparing food resupply is just a low environmental impact simulation for hunting and gathering along the way. But if you're going to say just popping into a shop to pick up some new gear halfway is still 'unresupplied'....well then where does one draw the line exactly?
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby bushwalker zane » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 2:29 pm

jdeks wrote:
ILUVSWTAS wrote:Unsupplied did seem to be the important bit.

Well, he's going to be disappointed in that regard - he resupplied himself , simple as that.

wildwanderer wrote:Maybe not technically unresupplied as he needed to get new safety equipment when his washed down the river. (head torch). However in my book the trip still counts as unresupplied as he carried all the food and equipment for the entire journey with no equipment/food drops along the way.

Just because it wasn't a 'planned' drop doesn't make it any less of a resupply. I'd say depending on outside support for hard equipment is far more significant than a food drop. One could argue that sparing food resupply is just a low environmental impact simulation for hunting and gathering along the way. But if you're going to say just popping into a shop to pick up some new gear halfway is still 'unresupplied'....well then where does one draw the line exactly?

He lost some important gear in his Derwent tumble, so he bought a $15 headtorch. And nabbed some sunnies from a lost and found bin. I reckon that's far less significant than a planned food drop that would save him ~10kgs.
bushwalker zane
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 2:31 pm

You seem to hold a personal grudge against this guy jdek?

As someone else said he just replaced some stuff he had originally set out with but lost along the way. No issue there for me.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby beardless » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 2:41 pm

bushwalker zane wrote:
He lost some important gear in his Derwent tumble, so he bought a $15 headtorch. And nabbed some sunnies from a lost and found bin. I reckon that's far less significant than a planned food drop that would save him ~10kgs.

I agree. As a proportion of what he carried to begin with what he picked up is likely to be significantly less than 1% weight.

Whatever view you take it is without resupply of consumables food and fuel.

And even to date it is a phenomenal acchievement and story.
beardless
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Warin » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 2:41 pm

His trip. He defines the 'rules'.

'We' are simply observers, along for a virtual ride.
How I would do things would be different .. but then I have different goals.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jdeks » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 3:03 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:You seem to hold a personal grudge against this guy jdek?

As someone else said he just replaced some stuff he had originally set out with but lost along the way. No issue there for me.

That's a pretty gross assumption to jump to. No grudges here, just calling it how it is, by Lou-Phi's own log in fact. He was resupplied.

He set out with food but lost that along the way too - hypothetically, would you still call it 'unresupplied' if he picked up some impromptu snacks along the way to replace any food deemed 'lost'?

Attrition of equipment on a long trip is as normal as consumption of food. Getting a new torch halfway because of unforeseen circumstances (of his own making) is no different to getting a new tent, raft, sleeping bag...or food. They're all supplies - inconsistent to say that replenishing one doesn't count because you didn't supplement another.

Doesn't matter how you spin the reasons as to why he chose to - he's finishing with gear he didn't have when he started. That doesn't diminish his efforts made, but by definition, we can't call the trip unresupplied.

beardless wrote:Whatever view you take it is without resupply of consumables food and fuel.

And even to date it is a phenomenal acchievement and story.

That's a more accurate descriptor, I'd agree.
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby north-north-west » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 3:08 pm

Wind has picked up a bit, but he's being very sensible here and hugging the northern shore of Hermit Basin. Be very interesting to see what happens when he gets through Stillwater and into Serpentine Reach. I don't recall seeing much in the way of potential campsites along that shore. Maybe a few shallow beaches, but the wind might make them uncomfortable.
Good timing and that tailwind might get him around to Bonnet Bay tonight anyway.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 3:31 pm

jmac wrote:Lou-Phi has just been met at the bridge with a friendly chat; apparently he looks fine; in good condition with strength to continue. Report is also that the weather is quite good at the lake right now, in which case he should make the most of it and get as far towards the PD Track as possible while conditions aren't too bad.

‘Photo or it didn’t happen’ ;)

Glad to hear he is well and pushing on. Did you guys take some photos?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 3:35 pm

Warin wrote:The track alongside the canal was not in OSM. I have just put it in. My usual practice when planning a trip is to look at the data in OSM and compare it to the satellite views. What is missing I'll put into OSM so I can use it while away. This has to be done at least 2 months out to get the data through to my preferred map renderings.

It's a locked service road. Iv'e not seen it in flood/full flow but i expect the canal also gets a bit dangerous. I'm pretty sure the track that leaves from the western side was pre-canal and the start may have even been re-habbed as well.. (i seem to recall walking some of it long ago) so a bit to consider? or of little use? Just fyi
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jmac » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 3:40 pm

‘Photo or it didn’t happen’ ;)

Glad to hear he is well and pushing on. Did you guys take some photos?[/quote]

Not my pic, (I'm in L'ton) but the photographer was happy to share. Lou-Phi at the bridge looking rugged but healthy and strong. Eye all healed.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (688.14 KiB) Viewed 11735 times
jmac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wildwanderer » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 3:50 pm

Dam.. I look worse than that after an overnighter! :lol:
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby davidn3875 » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 3:53 pm

As one of many (I suspect), who are vicariously walking with Louphi on his amazing expedition, I am disappointed in the debate regarding unsupported/un-resupplied aspects of his challenge. It is detracting from the amazing physical challenges faced and overcome. I applaud his achievements and hope that there are young people who will be inspired to test them selves and push their boundaries as a result of Louphi.
May I also send appreciation to jmac and the many others who have provided the benefit of their experience of the terrain that is being travelled through to Louphi and we vicarious armchair bushwalkers.
davidn3875
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby MrWalker » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 4:53 pm

north-north-west wrote:Wind has picked up a bit, but he's being very sensible here and hugging the northern shore of Hermit Basin. Be very interesting to see what happens when he gets through Stillwater and into Serpentine Reach. I don't recall seeing much in the way of potential campsites along that shore. Maybe a few shallow beaches, but the wind might make them uncomfortable.
Good timing and that tailwind might get him around to Bonnet Bay tonight anyway.

The wind is forecast to drop around sunset and stay weak until sunrise tomorrow.
So ideally he should get as far as he can tonight. That's if he recharged his headlight.
MrWalker

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 5:36 pm

jmac wrote:Not my pic, (I'm in L'ton) but the photographer was happy to share. Lou-Phi at the bridge looking rugged but healthy and strong. Eye all healed.

Great and thanks for the stream of info! He seemed to be looking very good, even the hair style is still on-par. Rock on! 8)
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 6:03 pm

Interesting. He reached Camel Point and turned back to a small cove on its eastern shore. Wonder if he'll stay there for the night or just have a break until the wind - which is currently doing over 65kph - eases off a bit more.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

PreviousNext

Return to Tasmania