Frenchmans cap mid march delirious doldrums

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Frenchmans cap mid march delirious doldrums

Postby Tastrippa » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 7:44 pm

Hey all, Is there tent spots between Vera and tahune as the the tahune option is out while the hut is being redone, is it really worthwhile/sensible doing the cap from Vera as a day walk. I'm just asking as been planning this trip for a year and now find out the bad news about tahune. Not going till the 15th of march so there is still hope the work will be finished by then but if not we will be winging it one way or another, anyone got any thoughts on the matter, has anyone walked the track and camped without using the tahune hut area as a base? Surely there must be some off track bivy spots near tahune?? ARRGGHHH I get married on the 10th and this was to be the icing on the cake!
I have a long way to go....lucky I'm already here!
Tastrippa
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Frenchmans cap mid march delirious doldrums

Postby CasualNerd » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 9:01 pm

I heard a ranger suggesting people camp at Artichoke valley, but some people didn't really care and bivvied at the beach at Tahune anyway.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tastrippa » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 9:42 pm

Thank you good sir, I had read somewhere about the valley, and the beach may be a possibility also, although I wouldn't like to wake up wet⛈
Tastrippa
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby SergeantMcFly » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 10:09 pm

Tastrippa wrote:Hey all, Is there tent spots between Vera and tahune as the the tahune option is out while the hut is being redone, is it really worthwhile/sensible doing the cap from Vera as a day walk. I'm just asking as been planning this trip for a year and now find out the bad news about tahune. Not going till the 15th of march so there is still hope the work will be finished by then but if not we will be winging it one way or another, anyone got any thoughts on the matter, has anyone walked the track and camped without using the tahune hut area as a base? Surely there must be some off track bivy spots near tahune?? ARRGGHHH I get married on the 10th and this was to be the icing on the cake!

Depending on your pace, its really not bad doing Vera - Summit and back. If weather is good and your gear fits the bill, you could also cowboy camp a bit closer to the summit for some epic views. Quite a few overhangs and covered areas :wink:
SergeantMcFly
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Strider » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 1:07 pm

Most people summit from Vera as a day walk. Carrying a pack all the way up to Tahune would be hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Tastrippa » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 3:01 pm

Thanks for the replies, not quite getting the whole carry a pack to tahune comment as camping at tahune is one of the highlights so they say....grrr!! the thought of not calling it a night watching the sunset over the cap from tahune is just depressing...I guess the bottom line is, the track remains open so it's up to common sense and the weather to dictate the terms, the unfortunate aspect is the window of opportunity which means if I don't go mid march then I really don't go and probably won't get that chance again for at least another 365 days! Again thanks all ;-)
Tastrippa
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby north-north-west » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 4:04 pm

There's good camping in the Sharlands bowl, which is just a short sidetrip from the track, not far from Barron Pass. There are also good sites further along the track, albeit a bit more exposed.
Or, if it''s really good weather you can camp on top, or near North Col. MIB, of course.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby scrub boy » Mon 26 Feb, 2018 8:16 pm

The hut work won't be completed. There are a few spots immediately before the final descent to Lake Tahune if the weather is good. Carrying a pack to Tahune is a good work out to Barron Pass and in general a little slow going but not too bad overall and camping near the peak is the reward....
scrub boy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Tortoise » Mon 26 Feb, 2018 8:39 pm

Strider wrote:Carrying a pack all the way up to Tahune would be hell.

I beg to differ. Two of us itty bitty older women did it, no worries. Just do a slow plod! We're certainly not mountain leapers.
Next time I'd like to camp closer to the summit. :)
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Thylaseen » Mon 26 Feb, 2018 9:48 pm

We were there in early January. There are some tent platforms at the Tahune site, and some people camping on them: not sure whether these are available if building activity is going on.

A return day trip is very doable from Lake Vera, otherwise suggestions above to nearby campsites. It pays to check the weather forecast and adjust accordingly.

We carried a pack up from Lake Vera as we were exiting out via crossing the Franklin and over the Raglan Range: we climbed the peak, then extended our day to camp at the Franklin River due to the end of week forecast of poor weather: a very long day but again doable.

Some pictures here if you are interested:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/118621459@N03/sets/72157691394770774
It's out there
Thylaseen
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby CasualNerd » Mon 26 Feb, 2018 10:45 pm

Thylaseen wrote:We were there in early January.
We carried a pack up from Lake Vera as we were exiting out via crossing the Franklin and over the Raglan Range

We did the same trip on the long weekend, I'm sure the exact spot in your last photo on flickr we walked through looking for the campsite but the GPS showed it further around that patch of scrub. Did you ever see anything that would be considered a campsite ?
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby pazzar » Tue 27 Feb, 2018 10:20 am

I might see you up there, I will be running up and back on the 17th.

In the past I have camped on the exposed outcrop just before the descent to Tahune. There is usually running water somewhere close. As for Artichoke Valley, I looked at the sites there, but they seemed pretty damp.
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Tue 27 Feb, 2018 11:00 am

Clearly under pressure to get the public facility upgrades done. Parks request to camp back at Vera V's global advice to do otherwise hmmm.
Why not just go somewhere else this time Tt? Mt Anne?

"Walkers are advised that work has begun on the construction of a new hut at Lake Tahune. During this time, we are advising walkers to camp at Lake Vera"
Last edited by Nuts on Tue 27 Feb, 2018 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 27 Feb, 2018 11:17 am

pazzar wrote:In the past I have camped on the exposed outcrop just before the descent to Tahune. There is usually running water somewhere close.

Yep/ Great views in decent weather and a short trip to see the sunrise from the lake.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Thylaseen » Tue 27 Feb, 2018 8:04 pm

Casual Nerd wrote
We did the same trip on the long weekend, I'm sure the exact spot in your last photo on flickr we walked through looking for the campsite but the GPS showed it further around that patch of scrub. Did you ever see anything that would be considered a campsite ?

I think where we were looked like the campsite, we couldn't see much else - it had a nice log to site on. It was a great spot apart from the mosquitoes and leeches (but I think they are common to the area). We thought the creek through the area was amazing, on arriving on the plain we were thirsty having run out of water - couldn't see any clear stream but on walking across the plain realised the main stream was 1 - 1.5m below the main level, hidden from view! Made for a beautiful refreshing drink.

Did you find the track up from the Franklin easy to find? Chapman's notes says something to the effect of 'follow the obvious trail'. We spent a while looking for it, and in the end decided we'd have to bash up the slope. We picked what we thought was the easiest line, which after a few meters turned out to be the actual track!!
It's out there
Thylaseen
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Tastrippa » Tue 27 Feb, 2018 8:37 pm

Thanks all....lots of things to consider....and yes an alternative location has been pondered. i will call the number for north west ranger service a day or two out and make the decision then I suppose, the person I initially spoke too a week ago seemed to think the idea of still going mid march was definitely not a silly decision based on the day walk from Vera but it does seem There is definitely an option to push further for a night two camp closer to summit.
Tastrippa
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby NickMonk » Sun 04 Mar, 2018 10:52 pm

As others have mentioned, there's camping spots just off track in the flat section before the steep descent to Tahune. If you get to the steps down just back track a short way and find a spot off to the right of the track.
NickMonk
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby tastrax » Fri 23 Mar, 2018 6:57 pm

The new Tahune Hut opens to the public on Friday 30th March

https://www.facebook.com/tasmaniaparks/
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby Wherever I may roam » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 7:35 am

Is anyone aware if there are campsites near the carpark to the start of the track?
Wherever I may roam
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby bogholesbuckethats » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 10:01 am

Wherever I may roam wrote:Is anyone aware if there are campsites near the carpark to the start of the track?

Yep, there is a small one just before the stairs down to the river. There are also some nice spots on the right before traversing the first bridge (only a few minutes from the carpark).
That looks like a pad.
bogholesbuckethats
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Wherever I may roam » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 3:07 pm

bogholesbuckethats wrote:
Wherever I may roam wrote:Is anyone aware if there are campsites near the carpark to the start of the track?

Yep, there is a small one just before the stairs down to the river. There are also some nice spots on the right before traversing the first bridge (only a few minutes from the carpark).

Cheers!
Wherever I may roam
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Tastrippa » Mon 26 Mar, 2018 5:49 pm

Hey all, we done the day trip from Vera! 10.5 hrs and managed to get to summit. We passed a hotel being built at tahune :P
Will do a full write up later this evening. We spoke to the workers and they mentioned there will be a charge in future to access track...not that I care but was interesting to talk to workers....gave them a lift on way out and had a good chat
Tastrippa
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby CasualNerd » Tue 27 Mar, 2018 6:59 am

Thylaseen wrote:I think where we were looked like the campsite, we couldn't see much else - it had a nice log to site on. It was a great spot apart from the mosquitoes and leeches (but I think they are common to the area). We thought the creek through the area was amazing, on arriving on the plain we were thirsty having run out of water - couldn't see any clear stream but on walking across the plain realised the main stream was 1 - 1.5m below the main level, hidden from view! Made for a beautiful refreshing drink.

Did you find the track up from the Franklin easy to find? Chapman's notes says something to the effect of 'follow the obvious trail'. We spent a while looking for it, and in the end decided we'd have to bash up the slope. We picked what we thought was the easiest line, which after a few meters turned out to be the actual track!!

We followed the GPS to where the campsite was marked on the map, but there was nothing there at all. That's the knoll behind where you camped.

We didn't find a proper track of any description until I think we hit the ridge and through the chute up to the top. It was a long day walking out in the rain.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Thylaseen » Thu 29 Mar, 2018 7:14 pm

Only found a track close to the top of the bluff. It was our last day - we had good weather until lunchtime, then the (forecast) weather change hit and it blew a gail and bucketed down: we managed to lose the road towards the bottom of the Raglan range but bushbashed to where it 'appeared' again! Then changed at the tourist toilets and hitched back to the start of the walk! A very friendly local gave us a lift - it was late in the day and most traffic going the other way. Followed up with an Overlander burger and the best tasting cup of coffee ever at Lake St Clair.
It's out there
Thylaseen
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Tasmania