King William Range Traverse

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

King William Range Traverse

Postby Mowser » Tue 27 Feb, 2018 6:14 pm

Has anyone been down the King William Range in recent times? If so how was the descent and climb between Bayeux Bluff and the Slatters peak section? Also how is the walk between KWII and III? Feel free to PM me if you are happy to give me any specifics. Cheers.
Mowser
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Re: King William Range Traverse

Postby north-north-west » Wed 28 Feb, 2018 9:51 am

It's been a few years, but I doubt it's changed much since I did it.

Bayeaux to Slatters depends on the line, but there is no such thing as a scrub-free route. Lot of treefalls on the Bayeaux side as well. If you go via Domesday there is also a fair bit of vegetation to avoid on that westward leg.
I found fairly easy walking between KWII & KWIII, although I'd heard it had a reputation for being a bit mucky. Loot of dodge and weave, but surprisingly quick going. Not that I saw much as it clagged in soon as I reached King Charles Head.

There's good camping near KWII.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Re: King William Range Traverse

Postby pazzar » Wed 28 Feb, 2018 11:37 am

I found the walking between KWII and KWIII very pleasant. I think it was roughly a 6 hour return trip from a campsite at Lake Anne. Mostly open terrain, with a couple of scratchy bits on some of the small descents.

I haven't been down from Bayeaux, but the ascent of Slatters from upstream of the old hut on the lake was pretty straight forward. Mostly knee-high bauera until it opens up onto some scree.
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Tasmania