Ideas for first overnight trip

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Ideas for first overnight trip

Postby Labexpress » Thu 08 Mar, 2018 2:22 pm

Hi all,
Getting back into trekking after many many years, but my wife has no overnight walking/camping experience. I’ve a little in Tassie (Walls) but have mostly trekked in NSW and the high country in (Snowy Mountains) in my youthful days! Wondering if anyone has some suggestions for 1-2 night treks, camps in Autumn/Winter seasons? Maria Island maybe? We’re both fairly fit and used to decent walking distances but she doesn’t like exposed heights. Ideally, we’d like to build our experience in Tassie before tackling anything big and/or remote, e.g. Frenchmans Cap, Lake Rhona, etc.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Labexpress
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Ideas for first overnight trip

Postby Tortoise » Thu 08 Mar, 2018 6:15 pm

Labexpress wrote:Hi all,
Getting back into trekking after many many years, but my wife has no overnight walking/camping experience. I’ve a little in Tassie (Walls) but have mostly trekked in NSW and the high country in (Snowy Mountains) in my youthful days! Wondering if anyone has some suggestions for 1-2 night treks, camps in Autumn/Winter seasons? Maria Island maybe? We’re both fairly fit and used to decent walking distances but she doesn’t like exposed heights. Ideally, we’d like to build our experience in Tassie before tackling anything big and/or remote, e.g. Frenchmans Cap, Lake Rhona, etc.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Labexpress, and welcome to the forum. So many opportunities. Can you give an idea of which end of the island might suit best?

When you say your wife isn't into exposed heights, would she be fine with the climb up Hansens Peak with the chain carrying a full pack? Scott Kilvert hut is a lovely easy overnight walk in fagus time.
Winter: Narawntapu, Freycinet, Maria Island
In autumn - 2 nights at Pelion via the Arm River track, with a side trip to Mt Oakleigh or Pelion Gap; Walls of Jerusalem, Mt Eliza/Lake Judd view (camp at high camp hut or on the Plateau if the weather is good)
And dozens more...
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tortoise » Thu 08 Mar, 2018 6:15 pm

Easy walk to Shadow Lake, with day walk up Rufus
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bogholesbuckethats » Thu 08 Mar, 2018 9:05 pm

So many to choose from..

Lady Lake Hut from the Higgs Track is a nice one. Decent campsites by the hut and you can head out to Lake Lucy Long or Lake Nameless for the day.

Otherwise Frecyinet Circuit or Maria are good options if you don't have the right gear for camping in the highlands in winter.

Enjoy.
That looks like a pad.
bogholesbuckethats
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Labexpress » Sat 17 Mar, 2018 9:24 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! We’re looking at Maria Island for sure and will check out some of the other suggestions too.
Labexpress
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Tasmania