Major Burns

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Major Burns

Postby Nuts » Fri 23 Mar, 2018 6:02 pm

"The Parks and Wildlife Service intends to conduct a number of large-scale fuel reduction burns in remote Southwest Wilderness areas in the coming months, as shown on the map.

These burns will be ignited from the air via helicopter and by hand from road edges anytime from March until the end of June, as weather and fuel conditions permit, and are aimed at specifically reducing the risk of large-scale landscape fires in the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area.

The safety of park users is of paramount importance throughout this period. If you intend to visit these areas in the coming months and particularly if you plan on bushwalking in remote areas, please read the important information regarding walker safety on our website at http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx? ... intID=3805

During burning operations, public access on some roads and tracks may be restricted, with some closures happening at short notice to allow burns to take place. Further information about planned burning is available at http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=908"

Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 6.59.37 pm.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 6.59.37 pm.png (731.83 KiB) Viewed 4894 times
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Major Burns

Postby north-north-west » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 11:13 am

Oh great. Drop incendiaries in areas where you have no ground support and see how far the fire goes. Sheer genius. :roll:

I particularly don't get the Hermit Valley burn. That area was pretty well taken out by the fires just a few years back.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Warin » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 11:54 am

north-north-west wrote:Oh great. Drop incendiaries in areas where you have no ground support and see how far the fire goes. Sheer genius. :roll:

In some places that is all they have. Hopefully they plan it just before a rain storm comes through.

north-north-west wrote:I particularly don't get the Hermit Valley burn. That area was pretty well taken out by the fires just a few years back.

How frequently should the burns happing in that local area?

I know in my local area there have been NO scheduled burns for decades .. the last time it was burnt was 1 year ago due to an arsonist. The time before that ~23 years ago ... another flamin arsonist. I'd very much like to have scheduled burns .. say every 5 years. It would at least allow me to see the ruddy weeds! At the moment I nibble at the edges removing the smaller weeds .. but it is far too dense to go in.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby ChrisJHC » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 12:24 pm

I always preferred Major Houlihan!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 2:32 pm

Warin wrote:
north-north-west wrote:Oh great. Drop incendiaries in areas where you have no ground support and see how far the fire goes. Sheer genius. :roll:

In some places that is all they have. Hopefully they plan it just before a rain storm comes through.

Nope. It's done by schedule, weather (suitable for the helicopter and bugger anything else) and staff availability

north-north-west wrote:I particularly don't get the Hermit Valley burn. That area was pretty well taken out by the fires just a few years back.

How frequently should the burns happening in that local area?

It's the inconsistency. There are, as you have said, many areas that haven't been burnt for decades, but they're targeting a place that has had - and still has not recovered from - a relatively recent fire. It's ridiculous.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby tastrax » Sat 24 Mar, 2018 3:57 pm

I particularly don't get the Hermit Valley burn. That area was pretty well taken out by the fires just a few years back.

Adjacent to previous fire I suspect - https://maps.thelist.tas.gov.au/listmap ... kId=267866

Which would also mean that the past burn provides at least a reduced fuel boundary on the eastern side. The remote fires are never just lit up and left. I suspect they have satellite weather kits out there now to get the latest weather data to give them the best chance of achieving the burn specification parameters.
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Return to Tasmania