Lady Lake Hut

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Lady Lake Hut

Postby Chris » Mon 26 Mar, 2018 2:53 pm

After a few visits to the delightful Lady Lake Hut we are now planning to spend a couple of days there. I remember seeing what appeared to be a decent sized metho stove there, and wondered whether we should take our own stoves or maybe just a good supply of metho, which might also be useful for the heater.
Can't find any very recent comments on the state of either, though I did see one emphatic statement that the hut had neither metho stove nor heater.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Lady Lake Hut

Postby bogholesbuckethats » Mon 26 Mar, 2018 7:02 pm

I spent a night camping next to the hut in April last year, the people staying in the hut were using the metho heater but I can't remember if there was a stove..
That looks like a pad.
bogholesbuckethats
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby CasualNerd » Tue 27 Mar, 2018 6:53 am

Both were working late last winter, but be warned it takes a litre or two of metho to keep the stove going overnight.

It's a cozy hut in the snow !
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby teak » Tue 27 Mar, 2018 11:24 am

I went for a walk to Lady Lake Hut this morning and both the heater and stove are still there. I took 100 mls. of metho to try the stove and lit it without bother I did not try the heater but it appeared to be all there. The tap on the watertank outside has no handle so a multitool or strong fingers will be needed if it freezes.
Attachments
DSCN1109.jpg
Metho heater
DSCN1110.jpg
Metho stove
DSCN1112.jpg
Right hand burner lit.
teak

Postby Chris » Tue 27 Mar, 2018 10:01 pm

Many thanks for the replies. It's great to have such up to date information, including the warning about the tap.
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby vagrom » Thu 29 Mar, 2018 7:44 pm

I've just had a reply from The Mountain Huts Preservation Society on Facebook, saying they'll attend the heavily dripping tap asap Chris, possibly a new one with a handle, missing since 2013. Tank was half empty when we left walking to Derwent Bridge on 13/3.
I filled stove reservoir with a litre of metho and left a new broom and dustp/brm.
Two Parks Rangers Chris and Steve from Railton Field Office installed a fresh element in the heater the day after I met yourself, Anne et al. there. Said they'd repair tap in 2-3 weeks but
I can't find a Railton Office. Apparently doing a Ragwort survey across from MacKenzie.
We finished our walk via Traveller Rge a week later.
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: WalkingSA, Frnd Cleland/Bushcare, Alltrails
Region: South Australia

Postby Chris » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 7:53 pm

vagrom wrote:I've just had a reply from The Mountain Huts Preservation Society on Facebook, saying they'll attend the heavily dripping tap asap Chris, possibly a new one with a handle, missing since 2013. Tank was half empty when we left walking to Derwent Bridge on 13/3.
I filled stove reservoir with a litre of metho and left a new broom and dustp/brm.
Two Parks Rangers Chris and Steve from Railton Field Office installed a fresh element in the heater the day after I met yourself, Anne et al. there. Said they'd repair tap in 2-3 weeks but
I can't find a Railton Office. Apparently doing a Ragwort survey across from MacKenzie.
We finished our walk via Traveller Rge a week later.

Thanks Serge. I was going to post about the dripping tap. Considering the amount of rain there had obviously been since we met you there I expect the tank will now be be more than half full, but good hear it is going to be fixed shortly.

Anne, Ros (one of the et als) and I came home today after 2 thoroughly enjoyable nights at Lady Lake Hut.
Had a great time yesterday walking to Westons and Lucy Long. Spent too long there just enjoying being there to go on to Nameless, so saved that for next time. The Bellendena montana was still looking spectacular.

We could only persuade the right hand burner on the stove to work - maybe a fuel blockage in the other one. We left the fuel tank just about full, having appreciated plenty being left to start us off. Didn't need the heater but made good use of the new broom and dustpan you kindly provided.

Only one thing missing - I thought there were lots of candles 3 weeks ago so didn't take any, but none left. We expect to be going in again for a day walk fairly soon, so will replenish the supply.

We did see and hear some things of concern.
Saw 3 plants of what in retrospect was probably ragwort about 1/3 of the way to Lucy Long. Now of course wIsh we had had acted on our suspicions and removed them.
Also suprised to see bumble bees up there - much more interested in us and agressive than the ones we see in our gardens if the one that stung me is typical.
Are feral sheep or goats up there? One of us heard some calls sounding like a lamb or kid.
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby vagrom » Sat 31 Mar, 2018 12:54 am

The right burner's the only one that's ever worked for me too Chris. And I noticed the absence of candles too - not even a stub or the usual collection of leftover tea candle tubs. My thought was that perhaps it was a desire to lessen the chance of a fire and/or to decrease the junk. There used to be empty plonk bottles left on the windows as holders too, with stubs. They've all gone and there's just a small collection of bottles in the annex waiting to go down. If that's the case it might be an idea to bring and take away candles if used but i'm just guessing.
We had a bunch of back packers come up and stink the place out with dope and strong baccy and they wanted to know where the candles were. At that point I decided that in future i'll only mention the hut to other walkers.
There were a few Bumble Bees over the 3 days I stayed but i've always found them harmless indeed quite cute. They sting but would have to be provoked in some way. They're very inquisitive and buzz in for in depth inspection of stuff liks walking gear and shiny stuff.
One thing the hut could use would be a new visitor's book as the the one presently being used is a thin, child's note/sketch book. The hut's better than ever with the addition of the laminated collection of visitors notes from 2003 to 2012. A 1/50k Jerusalem wall map might be good in future too. It would need to note that Ritters is not a track, not even a pad - 16km's from Nameless to the Walls according to the Cubit blog item, tho' that disappeared with his recent passing.
I don't know Ragwort at all so someone might pin something up one day as well.
If a goat's about, perhaps it's wandered up from Dairy Plains. Winter'd be too cold for it on top.
Chris and Steve might like to know the Ragwort location.
Next time i'm back i'll contact you guys ahead to find out if you're planning a revisit. The new Lake MacKenzie Hut is opening this weekend I think. Details on Mountain Huts Facebook page. Great to have met you Chris.
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom

Postby Chris » Sun 01 Apr, 2018 11:09 pm

Good point about the candles. We certainly won't leave any there.
Yes I thought the bumble bees were cute too, until I felt the sting right on a prominent vein - the first I knew of its presence so don't think it was provoked :)
I'll phone Parks next week about the ragwort next week. Don't know of anyone being based at Railton but will ask about rangers Chris and Steve and point them towards your constructive suggestions for the hut.
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby vagrom » Mon 02 Apr, 2018 10:35 pm

Hi Chris. Blocked from reply at this time.
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom

Postby vagrom » Tue 03 Apr, 2018 5:46 pm

Hi Chris,

sent above failed message as PM yesterday. Matt's helping - suggests not posting emojis.

Should you grab anything for the hut, count me in on cost. As regards Chris and Steve, their Parks vehicle was in the carpark when I went up on the evening of tues 6/3 and you guys would've seen it when you all came up the next morning. They came down on Thursday w. 2 associates. Steve rents with family at Reedy Marsh.

Cheers, Serge
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom

Postby Chris » Fri 06 Apr, 2018 4:16 pm

Yes we did see a Parks vehicle in the carpark on Wednesday morning, but saw no-one until we were walking out on Friday.

I just had a call back from Tony at the Deloraine office. Of course he is aware of this forum so I gave him a brief summary of the matters we have been discussing and no doubt he will note the suggestions. He thinks that their most recent map may no longer include Ritters Track. Apparently Parks will be doing quite a lot of work up there fairly soon, (including the dripping tap), so this has probably been a well timed conversation.

Parks' ragwort work has finished for this year. It will probably be too late as the flowering period is brief, but if anyone is heading up there soon it might still be worth taking a decent sized plastic bag to remove any remaining flowers or seedbeds.
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby cliffold » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 10:08 pm

I passed by L Lucy Long in Feb and was shocked by the amount of ragwort seen around here. Had just participated in annual ragwort raids so was attuned to seeing it. Unfortunately weather was atrocious so didn't stop to remove any. Planned to get back up but didn't make it so will have to leave it until next year
Have heard other reports of patches on the plateau
Some in Lonnie have suggested ragwort is no longer a real problem as they are 2 biological controls in effect
Didn't report it to Parks to get their reaction
cliffold
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Tasmania