Mt. Emmett day trip.

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt. Emmett day trip.

Postby elitekeet » Mon 23 Apr, 2018 6:00 pm

Hey guys,

Im looking to walk and climb Mt. Emmett as a day trip from dove lake in the next couple of days vis the hansens peak track and also climb little horn if time and weather persists, just wondering what is an estimated time it should take? i was thinking it would roughly take about 5 hours return, but that was just a guess and i could be completely wrong if anyone has tackled it and has an idea!

cheers in advance!
elitekeet
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Mr
Region: Tasmania

Re: Mt. Emmett day trip.

Postby doogs » Mon 23 Apr, 2018 7:03 pm

I haven't done it as a daywalk only as part of an overnight mission to other peaks too. 5 hours seems a little optimist unless you're a super fit speed walker. Once off the track and heading to Emmett your speed will slow dramatically due to the boulders and minor scrub.
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby elitekeet » Mon 23 Apr, 2018 11:09 pm

Ah that's fair! may have to adjust the itinerary a bit then! I assumed 5 hours return because ive done barn as a day walk before and that took 7 hours return, and Emmett looked a little closer on the map in comparison, however wasn't sure how much of a slog it was going to be etc. to get there, I might still attempt it, planning to be walking by 8.30am, but preferably want to be on the road before the sun goes down, cheers!
elitekeet
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Azza » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 9:42 am

As doogs said, it's slow once you hit the boulders.
I did it as a day trip from Waterfall Valley, I can't remember exactly how long but it was probably ~ 3 hrs return.

If your goal is Emmett then you'd probably want to do it direct and then decide on Little Horn / Hansens Peak track on the way back.
Its going to a bit longer than Barn return (its only bout 800m shorter), because you've got ~ 2.5km each way to the summit from the Lake Rodway track.
Take a head torch as I reckon you could be short on daylight hours.
Azza
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby wander » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 10:13 am

Who is Emmett named after?

He / she gets a Mount, 2 creeks, lake and 3 streets named after them.
wander

Region: South Australia

Postby taswegian » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 10:44 am

From Placenames Tasmania

Named by the Board after E T Emmett, who was Director of the Tasmanian Government Tourist Bureau, and foundation member of the Hobart Walking Club. Shown as Mount Brown on Geological Survey Bull Number 30 plate IV, 1919, new 4 mile map of Tasmania, also shown as Brown Mountain on Mines Dept South Sketch.

I wonder how many tourism heads these days would be able to walk to such places?
taswegian

Postby elitekeet » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 11:39 am

Thanks for the advice, I think I will make an executive decision and give Emmett a miss this trip, I have no problem banging out 10hour plus days, but I doubt my two travelling partners for the day would appreciate it, one of them is not that experienced either, ill wait until the longer summer days are back, alternatively we should be able to manage mt. Campbell and little horn in one day with not to much drama, cheers.
elitekeet
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Tasmania