South/West NP Day Walk Recommendations

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

South/West NP Day Walk Recommendations

Postby katefawcettbradley » Sun 29 Apr, 2018 3:31 pm

Hi everyone,

I’m new to this forum so bare with me!
I am heading over to Tassie again in a few weeks and was after some day walks along Gordon River Road. My list so far includes:

• The Needles
• Sentinels
• Mount Wedge

But am looking for further recommendations from people who commonly venture into the area. I’ll be going solo so nothing too crazy (was considering Mount Sprent but I’ve read a few things that makes me want to save that for when I have a buddy).

All opinions and recommendation greatly appreciated!

Kate.
katefawcettbradley
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: South/West NP Day Walk Recommendations

Postby L_Cham_67 » Sun 29 Apr, 2018 5:03 pm

Those 3 are probably the pick of the bunch, although another option is Mt Mueller, but that's a little more demanding and not actually on the Gordon River Road; it's off it by a few kms. Clear Hill likewise is a great walk, but that's 20km up a gravel road...
There's a few good little short/very short walks on the road out: Junee Cave, Marriott's Falls, Twisted Sister/Timbs Track, heck, even the Creepy Crawly Walk! (which is more of a place to stretch the legs to be honest...)
I'm yet to do Mt Sprent so I can't tell you what that's like, and there might be some off track options, but I'm not really sure on what they're like.
L_Cham_67
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby whynotwalk » Sun 29 Apr, 2018 5:31 pm

Hi Kate - welcome to the forum. All the walks you mention are worthy. The Needles and the Sentinel Range are a little less straightforward that Mt Wedge, but no particular problems if you have favourable weather.

Further down, off the Scotts Pk Rd, the walk from Condominium Creek up to High Camp (Mt Eliza) Hut is a classic. It’s the start of the Anne Circuit, but well worth doing as a steep there & back day walk. If you’re happy with scrambling up large dolerite boulder fields, and again if the weather is kind, the climb to the Eliza Plateau, with stunning views down over Lake Judd, is really worth some extra effort.

I’d recommend getting an up-to-date weather forecast for the day(s) you plan to go there. SW weather is different (!) You can either get it on line (say for Strathgordon) or from the notice board at Mt Field NP visitor centre.

Enjoy this wonderful part of Tassie!

cheers

Peter
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Sun 29 Apr, 2018 6:52 pm

Hi Kate, As a fairly regular Tassie visitor, with a spouse who doesn't walk, I'm always looking for things that pretty much match your requirements. I've done all three that you mention. In order of difficulty I'd rank them 1. Sentinels 2. Wedge 3. Needles. Another easy-ish option well worth considering is Twelvetrees Range (partly trackless). As Peter said all best done in good weather. I'll probably be researching the area again soon for a planned visit at the end of the year.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby eggs » Sun 29 Apr, 2018 11:02 pm

Recently did Mt Sprent from near the end of the road.
Wonderful day walk.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Mon 30 Apr, 2018 7:38 am

eggs wrote:Recently did Mt Sprent from near the end of the road.
Wonderful day walk.

Have to agree with Eggs. Have done Sprent a few times and in good weather the views are second to none. A good track goes all the way to the top, it is a very easy walk.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wander » Mon 30 Apr, 2018 11:55 am

I'd echo the good solid track up Sprent comments.

And the views even only 1/2 way up are worth the trouble. So if you reach your turn around prior to the peak you will still have a great wander. Subject to usual SW weather caveats.
wander
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: South Australia

Postby doogs » Mon 30 Apr, 2018 4:04 pm

Clear Hill is another fantastic walk not too far off Gordon River road. The track is fairly straightforward (once you find the start). It's easily done as a relatively short day walk and the views are very pleasant.
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Doonish » Mon 30 Apr, 2018 8:10 pm

Agree about Clear Hill, straightforward and such pleasant walking.

Another option that hasn't been mentioned yet is Mt. Cullen, which is offtrack, but virtually all buttongrass if you take the right lead. Some info on the forums at http://www.bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12888&p=170666&hilit=cullen#p170666.
Doonish
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Fullers Bookshop

Postby katefawcettbradley » Mon 30 Apr, 2018 11:17 pm

Wow thanks so much guys, that's great information!

I think I will be adding Sprent to the list after getting your more up to date reviews :) Good tips with checking the Mount Field weather board too.

Furthermore, would Ted's beach be my best bet for camping within the region specified. I plan on staying in Mount Field a few nights as well but hoping for somewhere in amongst your recommended walks for a few days too.

Thanks again!

Kate.
katefawcettbradley
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Tue 01 May, 2018 8:40 am

Do Timbs track too. Some lovely forest and a good lookout on the way.

There's also a good off-track climb up Mt Cullen. It's still fairly open from the fires, so scrub isn't an issue.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Return to Tasmania