Billy Brown's Falls access out

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Billy Brown's Falls access out

Postby silvereye » Mon 14 May, 2018 7:41 pm

Just thought it may be of interest here that the first crossing of Judd's Creek (on Judd's Creek Rd) has been washed away in last Friday's flood.
This is the access to the Billy Brown's Falls walk.
The damage is quite substantial, and the section is not crossable - even with a 4WD.
I guess if you really wanted to, you could park here, wade across the river (pretty fast flow today) and walk to the track head, but that would add about a 6km round trip on dirt roads. Plus, the second crossing may be out too.
Attachments
IMG_1865.jpg
Judd's Creek - first bridge
IMG_1868.jpg
Somewhat of an understatement...
silvereye
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Billy Brown's Falls access out

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Mon 14 May, 2018 7:51 pm

Thanks for the update silvereye. That's quite a significant washout. I've seen that road survive alot of rains in the past. Shows the power of the recent storm. This is a fairly regularly used route by trucks and commuters. I suspect this one will get fixed up quite hastily.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby devoswitch » Mon 14 May, 2018 9:09 pm

Wow, that must’ve been some seriously powerful flows through there. I was in at B.B. falls probably 2 weeks ago. So nice amongst the ferns up there!
devoswitch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby L_Cham_67 » Mon 14 May, 2018 10:44 pm

Is that the crossing which is/was barely doable in a 2wd? I remember it being really rocky and my old car was bouncing around big time haha. I guess we might get a better quality bridge now :)
L_Cham_67
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby cams » Tue 15 May, 2018 10:03 am

Was up there on Sunday. I love the sign they used here. Bit of an understatement.

The second crossing is intact. Could probably still get a car across, but it is fairly undercut on the downstream side. We walked most of the way up the road to the start of the track, but ran out of time to go any further. First time on that road, so don't have a reference, but the rest of what we saw looked ok. Maybe some top layer removed, but no huge washouts or ruts.
cams
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Return to Tasmania