Southwest National Park Day Walk

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Southwest National Park Day Walk

Postby plhodges » Sat 19 May, 2018 9:04 pm

Hi All,

This is my first post, I have read a lot of threads on these forums and I thought you guys might be able to help me with an upcoming trip I have to Tasmania in July this year.

Long story short, this will be my first time in Tasmania and I will only have one day that I can spend in southwest national park. I will be driving from Hobart as I am travelling with a young family and we will be in Hobart for one week (my wife has suggested I pick a spot to spend a day out hiking for myself). Based on the research I have done I would like to head out to Southwest National Park before dawn with the idea that I will start walking just after sunrise. I am fairly experienced when it comes to day hikes/walks in alpine environments but only in summer and autumn. The longest day hike I have done was 32 km, 1500 metres of elevation gain over 11 hours of walking. I realise that at this time of the year in Tasmania I will only have about 8 hours of daylight and that the weather could be very unpredictable. I am confident that I have enough gear and experience for the conditions but always like to err on the side of caution.

The walks that I am interested are as follows:

- Mt Eliza & Mt Anne
- Mt Sprent
- The Needles
- Mt Wedge

I will be able to pick the day that I go so I am hopeful to have an ok weather day to do the hike(s). At the moment I think I have narrowed it down to one of the following two options:

Option 1 - Mt Eliza & possibly Mt Anne, weather and snow/ice permitting.
Option 2 - Mt Sprent followed by the Needles.

Which option do you think is best or do you think I should consider other options? Are there any other scenic spots that you guys would suggest that I stop at on the way or on the way back as well? If time permitted I was thinking of stopping at Red Knoll Lookout but haven't yet put much research into other lookouts in the area.

Would really appreciate any advice and suggestions.

Just in case anyone asks we will be in Tasmania for 11 nights (1 night Launceston, 3 nights Cradle Mountain, 7 nights Hobart). Since we have little ones it's just much easier to stay in a spot for an extended period of time. I am super fortunate that my wife is happy for me to spend 4 of the 11 days we have in Tasmania hiking. The other walks I'm considering at the moment include, Cradle Mountain Circuit, Dove Lake Circuit, Enchanted Walk, Liffey Falls, Nelson Falls, Southwest National Park walk? (as above), and Mt Amos. Would also be happy to hear of any other suggestions or walks that you think I should really do instead of the ones I've listed. Keep in mind that I am happy to drive 5+ hours in a day in order to access a walk.
plhodges
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Southwest National Park Day Walk

Postby johnw » Sun 20 May, 2018 1:09 pm

There was a similar question and discussion recently that might be worth reading:
http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27759
FWIW I've done Mt Wedge, The Needles, Sentinels, Twelvetrees Range in that general area. In good weather all are probably more like half-day trips, unless you extend them, and each worthwhile for different reasons. Also don't overlook Mt Field NP which you have to drive past anyway.
Plenty of people here will have other suggestions. The problem with Tasmania is that there is far more to do than you will have time to cover.
If you are in Hobart with only one day for bushwalking, and want to spend more time walking than driving, don't discount Kunanyi/Mt Wellington as an option. Many different possibilities, among numerous walks I've done there include Ferntree to summit circuit, Ice House/Smiths monument, Disappearing Tarn/Wellington Falls circuit, Collins Bonnet, Collins Cap, Trestle Mountain - the list goes on. Similar weather considerations as southwest for alpine zones.

plhodges wrote:Cradle Mountain Circuit, Dove Lake Circuit, Enchanted Walk, Liffey Falls, Nelson Falls
Yes, all good. Some are very short and good for young kids. Watch the weather higher up at Cradle. Freycinet is nice but I haven't done Mt Amos.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sun 20 May, 2018 1:28 pm

If the weather is perfect Eliza is a good option is a great walk and a beautiful plateau. I can't speak highly enough of Mr Sprent though. It's one of the best short walks in the state I reckon. The views are awesome. Sounds like you've done the research and have a good plan. Enjoy your stay down here.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Azza » Mon 21 May, 2018 11:03 am

Its very weather dependent, I'd say consider Mt field as a backup plan.

The roads (Gordon and Scotts Pk) are subject to snow, there is a chance if your unlikely with the weather it could be shut, it does happen on the rare occasion in winter.
Its also a reasonably long drive on dirt down to Eliza. If you have a hire car it could be a risky option insurance wise.

Eliza pretty doable, but Mt Anne would be unlikely - its a long day walk in good conditions, if there is snow it will be dangerous getting to the top.

Keep in mind your ideas of distance walked probably don't always apply well to SW Tassie. Tracks are rough, scrubby, undulating and muddy, progress can be slower than expected.

Also Mt Amos is quite dangerous if wet, the rock is super slippery.
Your going to have to play it all by ear and just go with whatever the conditions suit and watch the daylight as it runs out early in winter.
Azza
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Tortoise » Mon 21 May, 2018 11:36 am

One advantage of Wedge (which I loved) is that for a fair while you're in nice forest, so it's not as exposed for as long as the others you mentioned in the SW. of course, that means you get less views on the way, but you do get stunning views in the top section. Excellent track, much less muddy than Sprent. I loved Sprent too, but was very glad we did it when it'd been dry for a while. Very steep mud in the first section.
I'd also recommend the Sentinel Range, which is recovering from bushfire. The track has been re-marked, and no scrub that I think may have been a bit of a nuisance in the past.
Edit: For Wedge, we started from the powerline road just south of the Wedge picnic area that doesn't exist anymore. We didn't try the bit of track between the two, but it looked rather overgrown from what we could see.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby eggs » Mon 21 May, 2018 1:50 pm

I have done Schnells Ridge as a day walk when the Anne massif was under cloud and hinting at some summer snow.
But I have also been up there when it was also a wet whiteout - not very appealing.
You would need a map and good sense of navigation if it clouds up, but the walking is not difficult.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby plhodges » Mon 21 May, 2018 2:10 pm

Thanks so much for your replies, all of the information you have all provided has been very helpful. I like the idea of Mt Field as a backup if weather is bad for the entire week. Any suggestions as to the best walk in Mt Field if weather isn't great?

Thanks for the heads up with Mt Amos being dangerous when wet and for the information about the dirt road to Eliza. I have taken out extra insurance for the hire car which allows me to drive on snow, gravel & dirt.

I tell you it has been so hard doing research for our trip, there is simply too many amazing places to see in Tasmania, particularly walks. I had no idea that there were so many walks and trails until I started researching this trip. I only found out about Mt Murchison the other day and it looks amazing!

I have to say a huge thank you to the community on this forum for all of incredible information and insights that I've found so far. Once I've completed my trip I'll update everyone on how it all went.

At this point I am thinking if weather is good then this will be my plan of attack:

Option 1 - Eliza Plateau (only if weather is good and there isn't too much snow)
Option 2 - Mt Sprent or Mt Wedge (I'm finding it so hard to decide between these two) and the Needles if time permits.

If weather is bad I'll head to Mt Field instead.

Thanks again everyone!
plhodges
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Tortoise » Mon 21 May, 2018 2:18 pm

I reckon you'll need Plan C as well. If the weather is bad in the SW, it could well be snowing all over the Mt Field area. It's not far from the others as the crow flies.
Oh, and Murcho is definitely another classic day walk. :D Not exactly handy to Hobart, though.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby eggs » Mon 21 May, 2018 2:34 pm

Agreed with the warning re Amos. Went up in sunshine but any water on the rock made it into an ice rink.
But a through walk to Wineglass Bay is still wonderful. And we took small kids on that one.

Tasman Peninsula offers a few options also if the weather elsewhere is bad.
Loved Waterfall Bay and a stroll to Patersons Arch, Fortescue Bay & Cape Huay and also the walk out to Mt Brown from Remarkable Cave.

You could also consider heading south to Hartz Mt. I have done this 3 times and the views into the SW are wonderful.
The tarn walks are quite sheltered from westerly weather.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby north-north-west » Mon 21 May, 2018 3:09 pm

Re the Mt Field options: Drive up to Dobson and assess there. The Tarn Shelf loop (descending via Twilight and returning via Webster) is well marked and a stunningly beautiful area, even in fog.

Out of Wedge and Sprent I'd do the latter. Wilder and less frequently visited and the views are gobsmacking (in decent conditions). Wedge is a shorter drive. Sentinels closer still. Means more time for walking.
Sentinels and Needles would be a nice day.

And make sure you get back to Westerway to get some food at the Possum Shed.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby plhodges » Mon 21 May, 2018 8:15 pm

My Plan C if the weather is terrible is just to go for a drive and enjoy the scenery :)

I am a little crazy/stubborn when it comes to walking. Last year in New Zealand I woke up at 3 am and drove for 5 hours to access a day walk... It was definitely worth it :)

Since we're staying 3 nights in Cradle Mountain if I am crazy lucky weather wise I would consider Mt Murchison from there, it's only a 50 minute drive (I know I'm dreaming and there's more than enough to do at Cradle).

Many thanks for the suggestions around the Tasman Peninsula, again it is so hard to pick and choose. If you guys had 3 nights in Cradle Mountain and 7 nights in Hobart what walks would you prioritise?

And one other question about Cradle Mountain. I would like to do the upper circuit around Dove Lake (weather permitting )but would be keen to hear recommendations as to which way to go. Should I go clockwise (Car Park -> Hanson's Peak -> Face Track -> Kitchen's Hut -> Marion's Lookout -> Car Park) or anti clockwise?

I've seen that some people have done the above circuit and have also included Lake Rodway. Should I consider including Lake Rodway or just focus on the above circuit?

If only I had a few years, then I could do everything :)
plhodges
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Tortoise » Mon 21 May, 2018 9:24 pm

My Plan C if the weather is terrible is just to go for a drive and enjoy the scenery :)

Before you give up on a walk, do check the whole state forecast. Sometimes there are nice surprises. :)

plhodges wrote:And one other question about Cradle Mountain. I would like to do the upper circuit around Dove Lake (weather permitting )but would be keen to hear recommendations as to which way to go. Should I go clockwise (Car Park -> Hanson's Peak -> Face Track -> Kitchen's Hut -> Marion's Lookout -> Car Park) or anti clockwise? I've seen that some people have done the above circuit and have also included Lake Rodway. Should I consider including Lake Rodway or just focus on the above circuit?

I usually go clockwise, but I'm not sure why. Maybe because it gives me more options, depending on how time goes - to return via Lake Wilks & the Dove Lake Circuit, or via Marions (then via Wombat Pool or the quicker upgraded 'goat track' that comes at Dove Lake not far from the boat shed).
Rather than Lake Rodway, I'd add Little Horn as a treat. Brilliant views of the rest of Cradle, and to everywhere else.
http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=9581&p=175259&hilit=Little+Horn#p175259
If only I had a few years, then I could do everything :)

I moved here over 12 years ago, and have been making the most of it, but as fast as I can tick 'em off, I get more places go onto my list!
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 22 May, 2018 7:07 am

At Cradle I avoid Marions as it's' so crowded. Prefer to go up via the Horse Track. Maybe that's just because I love Crater Peak so much.

Tortoise wrote:I moved here over 12 years ago, and have been making the most of it, but as fast as I can tick 'em off, I get more places go onto my list!

I think there's a law about that. Been meaning to add it to the 'Things I Have Learnt' thread.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Warin » Tue 22 May, 2018 7:56 am

north-north-west wrote:
Tortoise wrote:I moved here over 12 years ago, and have been making the most of it, but as fast as I can tick 'em off, I get more places go onto my list!

I think there's a law about that. Been meaning to add it to the 'Things I Have Learnt' thread.

Is this the one your thinking of?
As the radius of knowledge increases, so too does the circumference of ignorance.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby plhodges » Sat 14 Jul, 2018 7:33 pm

Hi All,

I returned from my trip to Tasmania just under a week ago. It was amazing! If I wasn't already so established where I am with a young family then I would definitely move to Tasmania. It is an absolute natural and visual smorgasbord!

A huge thank you for all of the advice and suggestions in this thread. In the end, these are the walks I ended up doing during our 11 night stay:

Cradle Mountain
Enchanted Walk
Dove Lake Circuit
Mt Campbell -> Hansons Peak -> Face Track -> Lake Wilks (I was going to head to Marions Lookout but ran out of good weather and time)

Hobart
Secret Falls & Myrtle Gully Falls
O'Grady Falls

Freycinet
Mount Amos

Southwest National Park
The Needles & Mount Sprent

Since the weather forecast for Southwest National Park was dicey for the entire time we were in Hobart I decided against Mount Eliza/Mount Anne. Here are some pics from my walk to the Needles and from the drive between the Needles and Mount Sprent:
P7052004.jpg

P7052028.jpg

P7052029.jpg

P7052055.jpg

P7052074.jpg

P7052130.jpg

P7052181.jpg

P7052193.jpg

P7052395.jpg

P7052403.jpg
plhodges
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby plhodges » Sun 15 Jul, 2018 8:05 am

And here are some pictures from my walk to the top of Mount Sprent:
P7052484.jpg

P7052513.jpg

P7052550.jpg

P7052614.jpg

P7052648.jpg

P7052757.jpg

Panorama 18.jpg

P7053012.jpg

P7053029.jpg

Panorama 20.jpg

In case anyone is curious, here is a link to a gallery with photos from the entire trip:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123230218@N03/sets/72157697375678421

Again, many thanks for the advice and suggestions. I will definitely be returning sometime soon in the future :)
plhodges
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Tasmania