Bringing dehydrated food into tassie

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Bringing dehydrated food into tassie

Postby Bluemountainsgal » Mon 21 May, 2018 5:05 pm

Hi there! My husband and I are looking forward to traveling to Tassie in late October to tackle the Walls of Jerusalem. The only problem we have is that I suffer from an autoimmune condition which I manage with my diet. This usually is not an issue as I prepare, dehydrate and vacuum seal all my own hiking meals before a trip. I have heard though that Tassie has some strict bio laws and I might not be able to do this. I can't purchase any pre prepared commercial meals so this would make my hike nearly impossible. I got around this last year in NZ by taking my dehydrator in my luggage and cooking/dehydrating over there before the Milford and Routeburn but had more time before the hike started .... Would really like to not have this hassle again. Any suggestions or advice? Any help would be appreciated
Bluemountainsgal
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Bringing dehydrated food into tassie

Postby RonK » Mon 21 May, 2018 5:36 pm

I've taken dehydrated meals to Tassie on numerous trips.

Tasmanian regulations mostly relate to plant biosecurity. There are no inspections but there may be sniffer dogs at the airport.

Cooked, dehydrated meals are permitted.

http://dpipwe.tas.gov.au/biosecurity-tasmania/biosecurity/travellers-guide-to-tasmanian-biosecurity-what-you-can-and-cant-bring-into-tasmania
RonK
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby Mark F » Mon 21 May, 2018 6:27 pm

If going over on the boat you will be inspected - often just the esky checked. Cooked and fully dehydrated food is fine but no fresh fruit or veg. There are also restrictions on fish and fishing gear.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Bluemountainsgal » Tue 22 May, 2018 8:17 am

Thanks so much. Was quite worried about my food issue but will start dehydrating and preparing now. Appreciate the responses.
Bluemountainsgal
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby bigwallclimber » Tue 22 May, 2018 8:22 am

Bluemountainsgal wrote:Hi there! My husband and I are looking forward to traveling to Tassie in late October to tackle the Walls of Jerusalem. The only problem we have is that I suffer from an autoimmune condition which I manage with my diet. This usually is not an issue as I prepare, dehydrate and vacuum seal all my own hiking meals before a trip. I have heard though that Tassie has some strict bio laws and I might not be able to do this. I can't purchase any pre prepared commercial meals so this would make my hike nearly impossible. I got around this last year in NZ by taking my dehydrator in my luggage and cooking/dehydrating over there before the Milford and Routeburn but had more time before the hike started .... Would really like to not have this hassle again. Any suggestions or advice? Any help would be appreciated

Hi There Blue Mountains Gal,

I would suggest contact the Bio people in Tassie, I take American dehydrated food into Tassie with no issues at all. I have done it for many years and never ran into any issue at the airport, are you flying or driving ?

Also maybe post this in the Tasmania section you will probably get a good response there as well.

Dave
bigwallclimber
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Postby Bluemountainsgal » Tue 22 May, 2018 10:04 am

Hi Dave! We are flying in and out of Hobart. Will definitely get in touch with Tassie bio to double check. Thanks for the tip :)
Bluemountainsgal
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Tasmania