Tarkine - Corrina to Mt Donaldson via Savage River.

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Tarkine - Corrina to Mt Donaldson via Savage River.

Postby Mollynella- » Tue 22 May, 2018 9:43 am

Hey Guys,
I am planning a hike in the Tarkine,
i was just wondering if anyone has done this walk?
Corrina to Mt Donaldson via Savage River?
I am going to be doing this walk with a bunch of Rover Scouts (aged 18 - 26)
If anyone had done any multi-day hikes in the tarkine that isn't super hard i'm taking recommendations as im open to changing the location.
TIA,
Mollynella. :D
Mollynella-
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Tarkine - Corrina to Mt Donaldson via Savage River.

Postby north-north-west » Tue 22 May, 2018 11:20 am

Corinna to Donaldson via the Savage River track isn't a multi-day walk. I've done it - including the return road walk to Corinna - in a single day. Can be done as an overnighter but finding room for more than one or two smaller tents would be tricky - OK, possible in the forest flats near the bridge but that's generally damp and muddy and leechy. Donaldson itself is mostly too much buttongrass to camp comfortably and water is not available on the higher ridges.

There's also the forest loop from up near Farquhars Bridge. Longer and shorter options available for that. Also forest walks available from Tiger Ridge, which makes a good base camp.

Have you thought about the coast walk from either Pieman Heads (boat trip necessary) or Temma (out and back from there means no worrying about the boats, and therefore cheaper).

Really depends on how many nights you want, how many people and when. Also whether you prefer coast, forest or the more open inland areas. Best guide is Phil Pullinger's Tarkine Trails book (although he does not, for some obscure reason, mention the coastal route between Temma and Dartys Point. Odd). It covers paddling, cycling and driving options as well as on- and off-track walks.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby johnw » Tue 22 May, 2018 11:34 am

Well, I've walked from Corinna to the entrance of Savage River on the Pieman. Good track all the way through the rainforest, only a few kms. Separately walked from the None Such Ck bridge on the Pieman to Donaldson summit. Easy open walking, again only a few kms. The missing bit is from Savage R entrance to the bridge, which as far as I know is trackless, but only looks to be about 1.5 km. I can't recall how thick the scrub looked going upstream at Savage R. but might have some photos if it helps. The distance looks conservative for a multi day walk and I can't remember any camping options (but wasn't really looking for them).

Edit: Just saw NNW's post which gives better coverage, go with her advice :)
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Tue 22 May, 2018 5:09 pm

johnw wrote:The missing bit is from Savage R entrance to the bridge, which as far as I know is trackless, but only looks to be about 1.5 km.

Beyond the landing the track is rougher and muddier, but usually well marked with tape.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby johnw » Tue 22 May, 2018 10:31 pm

north-north-west wrote:
johnw wrote:The missing bit is from Savage R entrance to the bridge, which as far as I know is trackless, but only looks to be about 1.5 km.

Beyond the landing the track is rougher and muddier, but usually well marked with tape.

Thanks, come to think of it I may have seen some tape around there. But who knows - trouble with getting older my memory is getting hazy on some things :roll:.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Tasmania