Tas MTB plan

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Tas MTB plan

Postby Area54 » Wed 30 Sep, 2009 7:50 pm

I saw this on a QLD forum and curious to get some feedback on this.

http://www.development.tas.gov.au/sport ... _bike_plan

Thoughts?

(I know it's not quite bushwalking related, but it may impact areas that are currently walk only territory?)
Gold is just a windy Kansas wheatfield, blue is just a Kansas summer sky...
Area54
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Tas MTB plan

Postby Singe » Thu 01 Oct, 2009 11:58 am

It's a whopper document, must admit I've only scanned parts so far...

My view is that it's better for everybody for mtb'ing to be managed than unmanaged. The solution for the Mt Wellington tracks is a good case study and has worked well IME - some paths shared, others out-of-bounds to bikes, and the new North-South track which is designed to attract mtb pressure from other areas... I kinda doubt that new areas will be opened up to bikes - the tide has been going the other direction for quite a while - more likely some existing tracks will be 'upgraded' to better suit and cope with mtb use, while others will be out-of-bounds and access controlled more tightly. That said, I haven't read the full plan... but a glance at the Overview seems to confirm it's more about branding existing 'trails' than anything else.

At the end of the day, mtb'ers will have to accept that the tradeoff for legitimacy and improved facilities is leaving other areas for walkers to enjoy. A bit of mutual respect and consideration works wonders ;)

Matt - who doesn't like being abused by walkers when riding, and doesn't like being buzzed by mtb'ers when walking ;)
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river and he is not the same man.” -Heraclitus
Singe
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Tasmania