Swimming Holes in the Derwent Valley!

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Swimming Holes in the Derwent Valley!

Postby hutfinder » Tue 17 Jul, 2018 6:12 pm

Not quite the weather for it, or perhaps the forum, but worth a shot!

As a semi recent transplant to the upper derwent valley, I can see there are many beautiful rivers and waterways, and I wondered if any of the very knowledgeable users here knew of of any good spots (waterholes, somewhere off the main drag of highway along the derwent) for swimming - I have been driving past a lovely gated spot on the Plenty River outside Feilton, which looks like it's intended for public use, but with no signage either way, I am not sure I am game to chance it! I definitely don't want to be trespassing in my swimmers :shock:

If anyone knows any spots (falling in the rules of not being on private property, or providing specific notes to access sensitive areas) I'd be very grateful
"The clearest way into the universe is through a forest wilderness."
hutfinder
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Swimming Holes in the Derwent Valley!

Postby Tastrippa » Tue 24 Jul, 2018 4:36 pm

Check out the Moogara swimming hole on the plenty river, great spot with some small cliffs to jump off..may even be the spot your talking about, If so you can definitely swim there. There's a nice spot on the Derwent just before you come into Gretna, pull over on the left and follow signs for the angler access
I have a long way to go....lucky I'm already here!
Tastrippa
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Swimming Holes in the Derwent Valley!

Postby hutfinder » Thu 26 Jul, 2018 2:33 pm

Is that the little spot with the gate on the road as you drive on Plenty Valley Road? If so that's definitely the spot I mean - I just wasn't sure that it was public - great to know that it is! Will have to check that spot at Gretna too, sounds amazing. Thank you so much for replying :-)
"The clearest way into the universe is through a forest wilderness."
hutfinder
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Tasmania