Yet another (winter) Tassie tent thread...

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Yet another (winter) Tassie tent thread...

Postby tom_b » Sat 28 Jul, 2018 4:04 pm

Hi all,

I know this has been discussed to death but after reading through the threads I still don't have my mind made up, and thought it would be beneficial to ask again with new offerings.

So if I want to go (snow) camping in Tassie (or the Main range), what is the 'best' tent to take for two people at 68kg and 175cm.

The two I am most seriously considering are the WE First Arrow and Hilleberg Nallo (GT).

What are your thoughts? Any other suggestions? Price is not a factor.
Last edited by tom_b on Sat 28 Jul, 2018 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tom_b
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Yet another (winter) Tassie tent thread...

Postby safari » Sat 28 Jul, 2018 6:03 pm

I have no idea what the 'best' tent to use in the mountains of Tassie during the Winter months but have I dragged my Hilleberg Nallo 3 into the hills since 2011 and it's taken a hiding with mega dumps of snow and wild lashings of crazy wind at times. Bit heavy for everyday use (I prefer my Tarptent Rainbow & Big Agnes Fly Creek) but worth every cent and weight penalty when the wet stuff comes crashing down and I have to put my big boy pants on. :D
the worst thing that can happen to a man, is he becomes civilised
David Goggins
safari
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby tom_b » Sat 28 Jul, 2018 7:46 pm

Great info! Do you have any opinion on the red vs black label tents they make?
tom_b
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Tortoise » Sat 28 Jul, 2018 8:39 pm

I have a Hilleberg Akto (red label) and a WE First Arrow (the lighter, larger 2014 or 2015 version, which I think is the current one).
FWIW, the Akto is sturdier, in terms of poles & floor (and the rest of it iirc), than the First Arrow.

I LOVE the design of the First Arrow, as a tweaked tunnel with side entry. Much easier to get in and out during wild weather without getting any water/snow in the inner, IMO. I love the flexibility of increasing the size of the vestibule for cooking etc, or increasing the size of the inner for sleeping.

I hope they've fixed the toggle problem I had. Some loops were waaaaay to big, so the toggles would fall out during packing/unpacking, when I wanted to keep fly and inner attached. Other loops, notably the ones that are used to change the size of the vestibule, were waaaaay too small. It took me forever with warm dry fingers at home to get the toggles in and out of them. Next to impossible with cold fingers and damp loops. I ended up partially sewing up the big loops to make them smaller, and unpicking part of the small loops to make them bigger. Figured I shouldn't have to do that with a tent of that price. I actually got a fantastic deal on it by checking out specials on the internet, and having a more local shop kindly match the price to another real-life store interstate. Very helpful when I also had a problem with one of the zips being very hard to use. Got it fixed pretty well under warranty.

Not sure re taller people like yourselves. The bottom end isn't wide, so just check the specs. But I'm sure it's made for people much taller than us!

The only other thing I'd mention is that I'm a bit concerned with what happens when the wind changes direction, as it often does in Tassie. Maybe it's more predictable in winter? The First Arrow is a great design if oriented properly with the wind, but that could change. I personally would feel a bit more secure in a multi-pole-crossing dome for true 4 season use - which of course will be heavier. With the give in the SIL nylon when wet/cold, you'd probably need to tighten the guy lines at some point, especially if you end up with the wind hitting you broadside.

I've had small dumps of snow on the First Arrow, and have needed to push it off from below to prevent collection and sagging. That may have been because I didn't get up and tighten the guys, toasty and snug as I was.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Sun 29 Jul, 2018 5:25 pm

Hilleberg Tarra. If you don't mind the weight.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Nuts » Sun 29 Jul, 2018 5:45 pm

I like the Nallo. Considering the GT suggests weight isn't an issue? If that is the case there are still more stormworthy designs, eg. their 3 pole tunnel tents (if tunnel tents) would be 'better''? They may have altered the initial design but the lighter (hille) models fly didn't seem to reach the ground (whereas more valance would be betterer).
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby devoswitch » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 2:14 pm

I’m a big fan of my Hilleberg Nammatj 2. I use it solo and don’t mind carrying the weight as I know I’ve got a bombproof shelter with plenty of room for me and my gear at the end of the day.
devoswitch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnrs » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 3:35 pm

Hi TB
Both WE First Arrow or the Hilleberg Nallo GT will be find for winter Tassie or main range
As would a host of other tents including the MacPac Olympus
And maybe even this from #F UL gear!!!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3F-210T ... autifyAB=0
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Nuts » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 5:27 pm

Here's a cheap WE 2nd arrow on the AFOI site -

Screen Shot 2018-07-30 at 5.23.00 pm.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-30 at 5.23.00 pm.png (376.98 KiB) Viewed 12121 times
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tom_b » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 7:16 pm

Thanks guys great info!

Okay so I am very inexperienced in this area which is why I was asking. A lot of people have told me that for snow you ' definitely want a large vestibule' (i.e the GT or otherwise), however I am not so sure. I tend to lean towards UL hiking and want to carry as little as possible to go as far as possible etc...

However I also know that you spend a lot more time in the tent in snow, than in summer.

In that case then I would lean towards the WE First Arrow. My main reservation is that I have heard bad things about the durability of the newer model.

Hmmm decisions decision!!!
tom_b
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby north-north-west » Tue 31 Jul, 2018 7:38 am

Nuts wrote:Here's a cheap WE 2nd arrow on the AFOI site -

Australian Freedom of Information?
Adelaide Festival of Ideas?
Assisting Families of Inmates?

None of those seem to have anything to do with selling used bushwalking gear . .
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Peaksnik » Tue 31 Jul, 2018 8:34 am

Australian Freelance Outdoor Instructors - on Facebook.
Peaksnik
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 31 Jul, 2018 9:29 am

Thanks.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Tue 31 Jul, 2018 12:01 pm

Ha yeah.. I had meant to copy that part, cut off too much (if anone wants the contact person pm (private message) me... )

tom_b wrote:Thanks guys great info!

Okay so I am very inexperienced in this area which is why I was asking. A lot of people have told me that for snow you ' definitely want a large vestibule' (i.e the GT or otherwise), however I am not so sure. I tend to lean towards UL hiking and want to carry as little as possible to go as far as possible etc...

However I also know that you spend a lot more time in the tent in snow, than in summer.

In that case then I would lean towards the WE First Arrow. My main reservation is that I have heard bad things about the durability of the newer model.

Hmmm decisions decision!!!

A large vestibule is nice but not at all necessary, eg. Tortoise's Akto would be big enough for me. You could carry a book or kindle for the weight :)

More fabric than mesh on the inner tent, a fly that comes to the ground or valances, a sturdy fabric/floor/build, these things would be more important. When weight becomes the biggest buying factor, a bivy bag alone will do.. though could get uncomfortable quickly over multiple night :) Wind tends to be a bigger drama than deep snow here unless you are looking for deep snow. Some of the ski tourers here or on that forum would possibly have more brand/model suggestions.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tom_b » Tue 31 Jul, 2018 12:05 pm

I agree bivy is the way to go but given I do nearly all my hiking with my partner we prefer a tent. Always good to hear contrasting opinions.
tom_b
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Nuts » Tue 31 Jul, 2018 12:17 pm

Ah, sorry, hadn't read that far back again.. yes, could get a bit awkward..
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jdeks » Tue 31 Jul, 2018 6:08 pm

Ahem

TRAILSTAAAAARRRRRRRRRR!!
Attachments
signal-2017-10-07-003902.jpeg
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby Mountain Rocket » Tue 31 Jul, 2018 8:11 pm

My compromise for a tent with my partner as an otherwise LW walker is a Hilleberg Nallo 2. It's heavy but I trust it in all of the conditions I've ever experienced walking year round down here. Plus it's roomy enough for when the weather is terrible and you're tent-bound. Having previously owned a Tarptent Scarp 1, I'd also throw the 2 person option into the mix. Floor is a bit flimsy for my liking, but the design is solid and it's a pretty great tent for the weight.
Mountain Rocket

Postby tom_b » Tue 31 Jul, 2018 9:38 pm

Robert is there any time you with you had bought the Nammatj over the Nallo? It seems these are the two options I am weighing up. Do you find the Nallo 2 has enough room in it for extended trips?
tom_b
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Mountain Rocket » Wed 01 Aug, 2018 10:36 am

To be honest no, I don't do enough winter walking to justify the extra ~600g of the Nammatj. Definitely find the Nallo 2 spacious enough on long trips with my partner. As an example, there was one night where we had four people in it after their tent collapsed in high winds up in the mountains. It was cozy and lucky we were all friends, but do-able. However, there are times where I wish the inner didn't taper down at the end, but it's a compromise I'm willing to accept.
Mountain Rocket

Postby jdeks » Wed 01 Aug, 2018 1:25 pm

tom_b, do you have a particular requirement for a full, traditional double skin tunnel design?

If not, I would really recommend looking outside the box at some shaped tarp designs, combined with a bathtub floor or inner.

My photobomb before wasn't just for the sake of being obnoxious - the Trailstar I have replaced my tunnel tent and outperforms it in every regard. Lighter (by half, more floorspace, more snow options, better wind-shedding.

There's a common misconception made by many at first glance that they're somehow a more exposed, less secure, lightweight option because they're a 'tarp'. But the design tech has come a long way and with an appropriate inner, they're as comfortable to live in as any tent I've owned, and just as bomber.
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby tom_b » Wed 01 Aug, 2018 4:43 pm

Hi Jdeks,

Yeah there is a reason! I’m a bit of a sook.... I’ve decided after months and months of living in tents and tarps I just prefer tents. For me I find tents more of a space where I can set it up and rest easy. I want something with in integrated bug net and bathtub floor. I don’t want to have to mess about with bug nets or footprints etc. I want something I can set up and not care about. For me this is because I only really tend to do hikes for 2+ weeks or longer (up to a month or two) and I have found I don’t like living out of a tarp for that long.

My friend has a trail star so I have seen them. They are excellent but just a bit fiddly for me (you may be much more skilled than me!)

I already have shelters for 3 season stuff. I am looking for things where I can go into stupid places in stupid weather and for that I’d prefer a tent.
tom_b
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby nq111 » Wed 01 Aug, 2018 6:03 pm

You really have to consider the prospects in Tassie of being stuck for a day or two under 100km+ winds plus rain, sleet, snow, ice. So I take the approach my tent is my fortress and accept some penalty in weight.

I really wouldn't feel comfortable in many parts of Tassie without a quality four season tent. That is strong enough to take good winds, double layer for warmth and condensation control, spacious enough for a couple of people not to murder each other after two days confined and a reasonable vestibule to keep all the wet and muddy crap out of the tent and to cook in.

Plenty of options - i have been happy in my previous tents Macpac Olympus, North Face Mountain and current Hilleberg Tarra. Did the Western Arthurs a couple of months ago with a Hilleberg Nammatj GT and it was fine too though I prefer the Tarra overall (the huge vestibule on the GT is nice).

You'll be happy enough with a less burly option too - until the time comes that you are in the highlands and really get nailed by the weather. In Tassie, this happens a bit more often than most other places :)
nq111

Region: Queensland

Return to Tasmania