Suggestions for day walks in August - near Launceston

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Suggestions for day walks in August - near Launceston

Postby abc87 » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 10:22 pm

Hello,

I'm off to Launceston in a few weeks and would like to do some day walks in the area while I'm there. I know there are various websites around for walk suggestions but am after ideas for what the best walks in north to northwestern Tasmania might be. I will have a car and will happily drive a couple of hours to get somewhere if it is good.

I would like to spend at least one day in Cradle if I can, as despite visiting Tasmania a couple of times I'm yet to actually make it there, but I'm open to suggestions for other days. Preferably somewhere scenic!

I'm well aware the weather is likely to be an issue and will play things by ear on that front.

Thanks in advance!
abc87
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Suggestions for day walks in August - near Launceston

Postby johnw » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 11:27 pm

"Best" is very subjective. There are all sorts of nice day walks in the region and I've done quite a number of them over numerous visits, but recommendations depend on a few factors. What level of difficulty are you looking for and what experience do you (and any other members of your party) have? I've suggested walks to people in the past that I found easy but others found challenging and vice versa.
I'd say you could easily spend at least 2-3 days at Cradle and not run out of things to do, depending on preferences etc.
Other locations with good/scenic walks off the top of my head - Ben Lomond, Mt Roland, Great Western Tiers, Blue Tier, the list goes on...

p.s. It likely will be very cold in some places. I've been to some of those areas in August and you may get snow. In some cases it may hinder or prevent the safe completion of a walk, unless experienced and you know the track. Probably rule out Bend Lomond as it's also a ski field and pretty well covered by the look of things, unless you want to go snow shoeing. Depending on experience sticking with lower elevations and/or coastal locations may be a safer option. e.g. Rocky Cape NP and Narawntapu NP are nice coastal spots with some good day hikes.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby weetbix456 » Sat 04 Aug, 2018 8:04 am

Meander Falls was a cracker the other day - plus there are tons of other large waterfalls in the North-East (Ralph, St Columba, Mathinna, Liffey). Some ripper peaks which would be weather dependent & some for sure with some snow this time of year (Mt Arthur, Stacks, Quamby, Victoria). Mt William NP/Bay of Fires area can be nice this time of year. There are obviously tons more - just depends how far & how hard you want to go :)
weetbix456
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TWGA, TCIA, CragCare
Region: Tasmania

Postby MrWalker » Sat 04 Aug, 2018 8:32 am

In Launceston it usually rains on about 23 days in August. So waterfalls may be better than mountain views, unless you like mysterious fog-enshrouded peaks.

Do you have your own car, or hiring one. Some car hire firms don't allow you on unsealed roads, some are OK on "made roads". Others charge extra for insurance on unsealed roads or don't cover insurance on these. This all makes a difference to what we might suggest.
MrWalker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby L_Cham_67 » Sat 04 Aug, 2018 9:36 am

Another coastal option is narawntapu national park, and exploring the beaches there or making the small climb up to Archers knob.
L_Cham_67
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby abc87 » Sat 04 Aug, 2018 11:03 am

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm from Sydney and while I'm used to doing lots of day walks up here which you can do all year round (with the exception of days with driving rain or extreme heat), I'm aware Tasmania in winter is a different story, so I'm very happy to be sensible about things.

I will be hiring a car (haven't booked it yet) but will be looking for a good option that lets me drive on unsealed roads without too much extra cost. Out of the mainstream car hire options Budget seems fairly good in terms of where it will let you drive.

Meander Falls does look good, and Narawntapu was on a list of possible places to walk.

Any suggestions for a good day walk in Cradle to get a taste of the park if the weather is ok?
abc87
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby MrWalker » Sat 04 Aug, 2018 12:27 pm

Re Hire car. Note that with Budget, even if you pay for excess reduction insurance, this does not cover damage to the underneath of the car, the top of the car due to objects hitting it, nor damage due to driving through water. There are some roads where rocks could damage the car and would not be covered. Similarly branches hanging over the road and hitting the roof.

The Meander Falls road should be in reasonable condition. But the walk is long and not easy, The tracks may be rougher than you are used to.

For Cradle Mt, it depends whether you want to follow the crowds and go to Marions Lookout, possibly on to climb Cradle Mt (if not in cloud), or across Face Track and over Hansons Peak, or take the easy walk round Dove Lake, or avoid the crowds on some of the less known walks. There are a couple of nice waterfalls near the old ranger Station.
MrWalker

Postby north-north-west » Sat 04 Aug, 2018 2:51 pm

If the weather is decent, all the NE Abels are easily reachable from Launnie and mostly worth it.

At Cradle, Hounslow Heath, Dove Canyon circuit, Dove Lake, Crater Lake etc will keep you busy if the weather higher up is poor. If it's not too bad up top, think a a short up and back to Campbell and maybe Twisted Lakes. Likely to be too much snow on the Face Track to be pleasant. But the Horse Track gives you the option of a loop including Crater Peak and Marions, for a longer day.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby safari » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 8:03 am

Meander Falls yesterday, fair bit of water chucking over the top.

The road is a little muddy but I got through fine in a 2WD SUV. Some digging & works happening at the trail terminus.
Attachments
P8080074.JPG
the worst thing that can happen to a man, is he becomes civilised
David Goggins
safari
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Tasmania