Permits for Du Cane Range

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Permits for Du Cane Range

Postby xjoehallx » Sun 02 Sep, 2018 3:35 pm

Hello,

I'm traveling from Alaska to Tasmania in November. I'm just now starting to plan a bushwalk during my time and the Du Cane range has peaked my interest. My question is: do you need a permit (the Overland Track permit?) to access the Du Cane range? I'm hoping not as I just plan on passing through for the day on each end. I don't think I would be spending a night on the OLT.

Also, do areas like Pine Valley (including the hut) stand outside the Overland Track permit system? Would I need an OLT permit to stay in the Pine Valley Hut?

Thanks so much!
xjoehallx
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Re: Permits for Du Cane Range

Postby Warin » Sun 02 Sep, 2018 6:32 pm

No, you don't need a OT permit .. assuming your not starting at Cradle Mt to get south.
Generally they want you to travel south ... if your thinking of travelling north to Du Cane range you may have problems.

I think Du Cane range is not a place for the inexperienced. Walls of Jerusalem might be a better place to see.

And Pine Valley is outside the OT permit system.

The OT people, I think, require anyone using parts of the track to contact them for permission ..and possible suggestions to do it a different way. Do some more digging on the parks website.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sun 02 Sep, 2018 6:49 pm

The accepted route is west to east. Starting from pine valley. That way when you come off falling mtn you are walki g the correct way.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby north-north-west » Sun 02 Sep, 2018 8:42 pm

From Narcissus, you are allowed to go as far north on the OT as the Pine Valley junction, to Pine Valley and into the Labyrinth without a permit. This includes doing the DuCane circuit. You can go to DuCane Gap without a permit if you're doing the Traveller, but doing the DuCanes from there is discouraged.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby DaveNoble » Sun 02 Sep, 2018 9:39 pm

north-north-west wrote:From Narcissus, you are allowed to go as far north on the OT as the Pine Valley junction, to Pine Valley and into the Labyrinth without a permit. This includes doing the DuCane circuit. You can go to DuCane Gap without a permit if you're doing the Traveller, but doing the DuCanes from there is discouraged.

Its my understanding you can walk as far north as Du Cane Gap - but only for access to the Traveller Range. I have heard of the ranger turning back walkers at Windy Ridge who wanted to go to Du Cane Gap to start a Du Cane Traverse from there. They then had to walk to Pine Valley.
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jmac » Sun 02 Sep, 2018 10:47 pm

Tasmanian and Alaskan bushwalking have significant similarities and a few differences. Our off-track scrub is generally thicker than Alaska's, which can make progress surprisingly hard across some of the Du Cane region. The alpine scrambling here in Tas is generally more straightforward and less technical, but still beautiful. Weather can be warmer or at worst comparably cold here; in general an Alaskan skillset and gear will transfer very well, and you won't need your bear spray! Enjoy.
jmac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Sun 02 Sep, 2018 11:08 pm

As others have said, no permit necessary other than a general 'parks pass'
You do need to complete a circuit in that clockwise direction. Here's the sign at Pine Valley turnoff:

Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 9.48.35 pm.png
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby xjoehallx » Mon 03 Sep, 2018 3:19 am

Wow, thanks everyone with your responses. Looks like we'll have to do it clockwise starting in Pine Valley (which seems fine). So the Pine Valley Hut is free reign as well? (I'm assuming we'll at least need a Park Pass).

Just some context, we live in Alaska and spend much of our time hiking in VERY remote areas (some of the most remote in the world) through extremely rugged terrain. Almost all our trips are off-track as well. So we're very well versed in bushwalking (and bushWHACKING!). With that said, we won't be taking any bushwalking in Tasmania very lightly.

My other question is in regards to Cuvier Valley Track. Sounds like it hasn't seen maintenance in many many years and has becoming quite overgrown. Is it at least passible with enough effort, or not even worth the trouble? Seems like a great area to end the traverse in?
xjoehallx
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Mon 03 Sep, 2018 6:44 am

DaveNoble wrote:
north-north-west wrote:From Narcissus, you are allowed to go as far north on the OT as the Pine Valley junction, to Pine Valley and into the Labyrinth without a permit. This includes doing the DuCane circuit. You can go to DuCane Gap without a permit if you're doing the Traveller, but doing the DuCanes from there is discouraged.

Its my understanding you can walk as far north as Du Cane Gap - but only for access to the Traveller Range. I have heard of the ranger turning back walkers at Windy Ridge who wanted to go to Du Cane Gap to start a Du Cane Traverse from there. They then had to walk to Pine Valley.

I think now days they prefer you to exit the Traveller range via the Gatepost rather than accessing it there. So that means starting from the weir at LSC or going up from the open forest 20minutes north of Narcissus.

Of course it will all depend on the ranger in question you encounter at the time. Some seem more flexible to others as long as you aren't bending the "rules" too much.

As far as the Cuvier valley question xjoe, it's an open buttongrass plain mostly with a pad that can be followed and lost the entire way. Some track markers still exst. It takes longer to walk in/out that way but if you prefer offtrack walking it might be a good option. Oh and also if you dont mind a little bit of mud.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 03 Sep, 2018 7:03 am

ILUVSWTAS wrote: Oh and also if you dont mind a little bit of mud.

And a few leeches. But Petrarch is a beautiful place to camp and it gives you the option of climbing Othrys, Olympus and/or Byron.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tortoise » Mon 03 Sep, 2018 8:36 am

xjoehallx wrote:My other question is in regards to Cuvier Valley Track. Sounds like it hasn't seen maintenance in many many years and has becoming quite overgrown. Is it at least passible with enough effort, or not even worth the trouble? Seems like a great area to end the traverse in?

There were a couple of big working bees late last year from the Cynthia Bay end. Still mud, of course, but no scrub bashing. The pad was easy enough to follow at least till we got to the point where we left it to climb Othrys. Not sure after that. But some folks did come out that way from Petrarch earlier this year. One got lost in scrub, but she's probably used to bigger tracks. At one point I think the pad turns 90 degrees to the left (coming south-ish from Petrarch), and she kept going straight ahead instead. The others had no problem.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Azza » Mon 03 Sep, 2018 3:40 pm

Tortoise wrote:There were a couple of big working bees late last year from the Cynthia Bay end. Still mud, of course, but no scrub bashing. The pad was easy enough to follow at least till we got to the point where we left it to climb Othrys. Not sure after that. But some folks did come out that way from Petrarch earlier this year. One got lost in scrub, but she's probably used to bigger tracks. At one point I think the pad turns 90 degrees to the left (coming south-ish from Petrarch), and she kept going straight ahead instead. The others had no problem.

The track was quite overgrown and indistinct around the eastern side of Petrarch.
There was the odd marker but after a while we gave up trying to follow it and just pushed through the scrub, rather than spend all our time hunting for it knowing its just following the lake shore.

South of Petrarch before it opens out onto the button grass was also a bit hard to follow.
A little overgrown but seemed to weave around a bit, so we spent a bit of time hunting for the next cairn because the obvious way wasn't always the right way.
We were in a rush that day to beat an incoming storm and get home so all of this served to slow us down but once out on the plains it was faster going.

Also not sure the section that comes down from the Olympus / Byron saddle is in good shape either. I've heard that doesn't see much traffic these days and is a bit overgrown.
Azza
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby weetbix456 » Mon 03 Sep, 2018 5:30 pm

I walked into Petrarch via Byron Gap a couple of weeks ago and had no real dramas following the route. The going gets more vague past the gap but there are plenty of tape markers and the route is open & logical when crossing buttongrass sections. Through all the scrubby bits there was a definite cut pad/track. At one point the track comes very close to the lake, and can spill over at high water levels. Nice alternative exit route if you have already walked the Lake St Clair track on the way in.
weetbix456
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TWGA, TCIA, CragCare

Postby xjoehallx » Tue 04 Sep, 2018 12:53 pm

Thanks for all the advice. What kind of temps and weather can we expect that time of year (mid-November)? I understand the weather can be unpredictable up high.
xjoehallx
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 04 Sep, 2018 1:05 pm

The weather is always changeable, and tends to be somewhat unpredictable. November is still pre-summer warm-up phase, which usually means particularly changeable. As long as you pack for anything from snow to heatwave, you'll be fine. The only thing we can guarantee is that it will probably be a bit breezy.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Warin » Tue 04 Sep, 2018 2:04 pm

xjoehallx wrote:I understand the weather can be unpredictable up high.

Umm ..it can be a bit unpredictable anywhere in Tassie... but particularly in the west and high.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roaring_Forties to get an idea of where the breeze comes from most of the time.

Note: This does get them the title of 'cleanest air in the world'. Breath deep while your there.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby DanR » Wed 12 Sep, 2018 11:14 am

ILUVSWTAS wrote:
As far as the Cuvier valley question xjoe, it's an open buttongrass plain mostly with a pad that can be followed and lost the entire way. Some track markers still exst. It takes longer to walk in/out that way but if you prefer offtrack walking it might be a good option. Oh and also if you dont mind a little bit of mud.

Don't know how much it has improved but the Hobart walking group did some track work on the cuvier track late last year, so I think there are a few more track markers now
DanR
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Wed 12 Sep, 2018 5:11 pm

DanR wrote:
ILUVSWTAS wrote:

Don't know how much it has improved but the Hobart walking group did some track work on the cuvier track late last year, so I think there are a few more track markers now

They re-cut the start, it was much easier to follow recently, but on the plains itself it didn't seem any different. I certainly dont recall any new markers.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Tasmania