4 Season Ultralight tent suggestions...

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

4 Season Ultralight tent suggestions...

Postby footsteps87 » Sun 09 Sep, 2018 5:55 pm

Hi all,

I’m after suggestions on what’s the best 4 Season 2 person ultralight tent out there at the moment?
I have been searching & searching, my dad has a Hilleberg Nallo 2 and seems pretty happy with it but would love any input with other suggestions cheers.
footsteps87
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: 4 Season Ultralight tent suggestions...

Postby jdeks » Sun 09 Sep, 2018 7:16 pm

When you say "Ultralight", what sort of weight are you after? Under 2kg? Under 1kg?

When you say "Tent", what's your criteria?

Some here would consider "Ultralight Tent" to be something of an oxymoron. At 2.5 kg the Nallo 2 certainly isn't ultralight, or really even light. It's massive.

Are you open to shaped windshedding tarps with bathtub and net inners? Because if you're after something "Ultralight", thats really your only option, but there are some very stormworthy options there if you're open to using your brain when you pitch.

If you're set on the image of the classic 'tunnel' type tent you can just bash into the side of whatever hill you wandered up onto...well, they're frankly all pretty much the same - heavy.
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby north-north-west » Sun 09 Sep, 2018 8:08 pm

If you want a tent that can withstand all four seasons anywhere in Tasmania, ultralight doesn't really present much in the way of options.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby footsteps87 » Sun 09 Sep, 2018 9:08 pm

Thanks for the replies, I thought my options would be pretty limited. I have seen the tarp tents you mention jdeks but unfortunately not what I am after.

I have spotted the Nemo Kunai, I do like the look of that tent great that it’s 4 Seasons graded but I think I will have to suck up the 2.2kgs that it weighs and deal with it!
Although it’s not a 4 Season tent I am currently borrowing my dads spare Black Wolf Mantis tent which is great for just me but it’s a squeeze to get my husband in there so need something with a bit more leg room!

I don’t want to spend the money only to find out I could have had better..I’ll keep researching.
north-north-west what do you use?
footsteps87
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Guido » Mon 10 Sep, 2018 12:27 am

ZPacks Duplex, under 600 grams. Pricey though! But it's the best of the best.
Guido
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Postby Tortoise » Mon 10 Sep, 2018 7:20 am

The Wilderness Equipment Second Arrow is not ultralight, but at 1.86 kg, it's better than 2.2kg, and 4 season:
http://wildernessequipment.com.au/detail.php?Code=WE2AUL
I ended up getting the First Arrow for my 2 person tent, because I don't like being bumped during the night. But you're probably used to that! You can compare the floor dimensions, anyway.
I love the design. Versatile entrance, very adjustable for ventilation, views or battening down as required.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 10 Sep, 2018 9:27 am

Guido wrote:ZPacks Duplex, under 600 grams. Pricey though! But it's the best of the best.

That’s not 4 Seasons is it? Big gaps all around.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby warnesy » Mon 10 Sep, 2018 9:35 am

GPSGuided wrote:
Guido wrote:ZPacks Duplex, under 600 grams. Pricey though! But it's the best of the best.

That’s not 4 Seasons is it? Big gaps all around.

I would say it is more three season. But jeez it is a nice tent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
warnesy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby north-north-west » Mon 10 Sep, 2018 9:46 am

footsteps87 wrote:north-north-west what do you use?

Currently either a Hilleberg Akto or Tarptent Scarp I, depending on where and when I'm going. The Akto is for those trips when I''m more likely to run into bad weather. I used to use a Nallo 2 until the fly succumbed to UV, but while it's a palace for a single person it's cramped for two. And it's not ideal for taller people either given how the back end slopes.
The Second Arrow Tortoise has linked to is a good option - fairly light, solid, roomy enough. Or the First Arrow if you want a bit more room and are prepared to haul the extra weight.

It depends on where you're going and when. If you're looking at camping in exposed areas all through the year, it's worth the security of a heavier and more solid tent. The Tarptents can withstand a fair amount of foul weather if they''re properly pitched, but you won't necessarily feel as comfortable during it.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby johnrs » Mon 10 Sep, 2018 10:26 am

Dear FS87
Here is another vote for the Second Arrow in Tassie
(Although I am currently experimenting with a MLD Duomid)
John
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby DanR » Wed 12 Sep, 2018 11:05 am

It can depend a bit on what you want. I'm after a new tent that has a part solid inner to help shield my body from wind when I'm up on plateaus etc. quite a few of my friends have the one planet gundi and I'm thinking that may be one of my better options for alpine hiking in Tas. As to a winter tent, the hilleburges do seem pretty darn good but they do have that premium price tag.
DanR
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby NickMonk » Tue 25 Sep, 2018 11:44 pm

I'm gleaning you want a 2 person tent?

I just did a bit of research into this stuff. My suggestions to look at:

1) Tarptent Scarp 2

2) Big Sky Chinook 2p

3) Wilderness Equipment First Arrow

They're all 4 season and under 2kgs.

I personally just bought a Big Sky Chinook 1Plus (just for one person).
NickMonk
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby footsteps87 » Tue 09 Oct, 2018 6:47 pm

Thankyou for all of your suggestions, I have been doing some research since and found a tent I’m quite fond of.
It isn’t a 4 Season tent but looks to be a good quality 3 season & reasonably good on the weight side of things weighing in at 1.7kgs.
It’s the Hilleberg Anjan 2 person 3 Season tent. My dad has the Hilleberg Nallo & can’t fault it, the Anjan is pretty much an exact replica of the Nallo except using lighter materials. All the reviews online about the Anjan seem rather positive & sound like they can put up with some crazy weather..seems like the way to go!
footsteps87
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Mark F » Tue 09 Oct, 2018 8:34 pm

Win-win - for serious trips you can always "hit up" your dad for the Nallo. Father-daughter relationships are always a bit lop sided - personal experience :roll:
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Orion » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 2:30 am

footsteps87 wrote:...the Anjan is pretty much an exact replica of the Nallo except using lighter materials.

I wouldn't say that. It's the same size but the fly doesn't go all the way down, the inner can't be sealed up, and the vestibule is a tad smaller. Those things would make a difference on a cold, windy night. By the same token it probably has better ventilation, something that is a limitation with the Nallo in warmer conditions.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby footsteps87 » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 12:48 pm

Thanks for the reply markf & Orion.

It certainly is handy to know I always have the availability of a stronger tent for those times when the hike is surely going to require it but we usually go hiking together most of the time so I won’t be pinching it anytime soon haha!

Orion, you are correct and believe me I have spent many hours umming & ahhing (if that’s a word) about the fly and the fact that on a cold windy night it will not be as comfortable but the fact I am saving on weight and knowing the Hilleberg is well reknowned brand makes me think I can deal with it haha
footsteps87
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby doogs » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 2:22 pm

There are some other smaller manufacturers that don't get a mention above. One that I have had experience with and like the product is Lightwave. I have owned a t10 trek xt for around five years and it has proved itself in all conditions in Tassie, it's a 1.5 person tent with an extended porch so great for 1 person who likes extra room or 2 people really squashy. If you're looking for a true 2 person ultralight tent then their G15 Raid looks the goods at 1.7kg or G15 Ultra 2.0kg. http://www.lightwave.uk.com/shop/tents
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Tasmania