Hiking the Tarkine

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Hiking the Tarkine

Postby DanR » Wed 12 Sep, 2018 10:58 am

Hi Team,

I'm intending to go and start exploring the Tarkine over show weekend in October. I have the Pullinger, Tarkine Trails book however, I'm finding there are a lot of different trails but then, I guess to stop the area being over exploited, there is limited info on water sources etc., so I'm finding it hard to narrow down which walk or walks in the area would be a good introduction.

I'm looking for a 3-5 day hike, for someone with a medium level of walking and off track experience. I wasn't sure from reading the Pullinger book, what the water situation was like around Mt Edith for example, can anyone provide some recommendations and a little more info on things like water and places to aim for to camp? Please PM me if you don't feel its appropriate to publish this kind of info on the forum.

Many thanks, Dan.
DanR
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Hiking the Tarkine

Postby north-north-west » Wed 12 Sep, 2018 11:20 am

There are plenty of small creeks on the way up Edith (just short detours if you follow the route in the book), and usually pools near the summit. Plenty of spots to camp up on top.
Edith itself can be done as a long daytrip, or as an easy overnighter. If you're thinking about Hadmar, that ups the difficulty level considerably. Lot of scrub on the drop down from Edith, and also on the drop from Hadmar if you want to try to get across to Sunday.

Have you thought about the northern part of the Norfolk Range? There's a track up to Hazelton, a couple of good sidetrips (West Bluff, Lily) and a lot of country that gets few visitors. Water can be tricky on the ridge in drier periods, but there's always some if you drop down the creek gullies and it's often available on the saddle south of Mabel. There are plenty of places to drop off the ridge to head back over to the road, although it's best not to try crossing the Lagoon River south of Mabel.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Re: Hiking the Tarkine

Postby DanR » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 1:56 pm

Thanks for the reply NNW. Thanks for the tip on Hadamar, I had debated doing the loop out to the coast and back, perhaps that might be for another time.

I had considered the Norfolk range but wasn't sure what the walking was like there. Its definitely a possibility and sounds like it might be a good option. Thanks for the info/
DanR
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Tasmania