Public shower facilities?

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Public shower facilities?

Postby bmskoh » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 1:39 pm

Hello walkers in Tasmania!

Could anyone please advise if there's any public shower facilities in Hobart airport or somewhere in Hobart or on the way to Hobart.
I'm planning to walk Mt Anne or around Lake St.Clair in a couple of months.
My time frame is quite tight so I'll have to go to the airport right after finishing walk and I'm pretty sure I'll desperately want to take a refreshing hot shower before flight.
I know Launceston airport has coin operated showers which was very useful last time I finished walking and fishing in central plateau.
Any advice about showers are welcome!
bmskoh
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Public shower facilities?

Postby north-north-west » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 1:44 pm

There are showers for walkers at the Cynthia Bay Visitors Centre.

Probably possible to get a hot shower for a nominal fee from one of the campgrounds between Scotts Peak and New Norfolk. Mt Field in particular.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby tastrax » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 2:06 pm

I think Hobart Aquatic Centre charges $5 for showers and its easier to get to rather than the Clarence Pool. No showers at the airport as far as I know unless you are also staying at Saffire whilst in the state :lol: :lol: .... in which case you can use their lounge! No mention of showers at Qantas club.

http://www.saffire-freycinet.com.au/loc ... _1-en.html

Maydena Bike Park may also have showers - https://www.maydenabikepark.com/home/
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 3:36 pm

bmskoh wrote:...I'm planning to walk ... around Lake St.Clair...

I'm just curious... Do you mean "I'm planning to walk in the proximity of Lake St Clair" or "I'm planning to do a walk that circumnavigates Lake St Clair"?

Circumnavigating Lake St Clair would be quite a substantial undertaking, and mostly off-track (despite the Overland Track running the full length of the Western shore). It would certainly be feasible for some walkers, but would be quite impossible for some, depending on experience, etc.

(Sorry, I know this is a bit off-topic, but as soon as I read your post, it really stood out to me as something worth asking.)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby bmskoh » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 4:02 pm

Thank you very much NNW and Phil for the quick and invaluable replies. I didn't realize that I would have this many options. I'll definitely pick one of the options you mentioned. Saffire option is not very likely though :)
Sorry for my confusing ugly English SoB. I meant "in the proximity of Lake St Clair". Actually, if I go that area, I'd like to do shorter walks in Labyrinth area as much as I can handle. I mentioned Lake St Clair just to indicate that I'm looking for showers between Lake St Clair and Hobart. I'm not that ambitious to do circumnavigating the lake (To be honest I didn't even know what 'circumnavigate' means until just a few mins ago :) ) I know you were concerned about my safety. Thanks for that!
bmskoh
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby eggs » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 4:14 pm

The Hotel at Derwent Bridge provides towels/showers at a small cost in their adjacent accommodation dongles.
We have often used it when coming out of Cynthia Bay / Lake St Clair.
If I was coming back from Mt Anne I would try sweet talking the Hotel at National Park. We have stayed there a few times, but I have not asked about access to only their showers.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 4:29 pm

bmskoh wrote:I meant "in the proximity of Lake St Clair". Actually, if I go that area, I'd like to do shorter walks in Labyrinth area as much as I can handle. I mentioned Lake St Clair just to indicate that I'm looking for showers between Lake St Clair and Hobart. I'm not that ambitious to do circumnavigating the lake (To be honest I didn't even know what 'circumnavigate' means until just a few mins ago :) ) I know you were concerned about my safety. Thanks for that!

No worries. There are a lot of good choices for walks in the areas around Lake St Clair. :-)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Orion » Sat 29 Sep, 2018 11:41 am

tastrax wrote:I think Hobart Aquatic Centre charges $5 for showers...

Thanks for that.

Several years ago there was a free public shower in Hobart across the street from the visitor information office. It's gone now but was quite handy then when I was in great need of a shower (but not a hotel). It's nice to know about alternatives.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Sat 29 Sep, 2018 3:50 pm

As eggs said, they are actually privately owned. And you require an overland pass and $5 cash to access. If you walk in the LSC area but don’t have an overland pass, you can’t access the showers.
South_Aussie_Hiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: South Australia

Postby north-north-west » Sat 29 Sep, 2018 7:04 pm

South_Aussie_Hiker wrote:

As eggs said, they are actually privately owned. And you require an overland pass and $5 cash to access. If you walk in the LSC area but don’t have an overland pass, you can’t access the showers.

*shrug*
They were unlocked last time I was there. But I think eggs was talking about somewhere other than the visitors' centre.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Return to Tasmania