Camping for The Thumbs

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Camping for The Thumbs

Postby L_Cham_67 » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 4:48 pm

Hey all,

I'm thinking about heading out to The Thumbs this weekend, and I know it can be done as a long day, but I'm hoping to do it as a comfortable overnighter. Thing is, the only camping area I'm aware of is the one discussed the P&WS adamsfield website which is not very far in from the car!
Does anyone have any good recommendations for camping options in the area? Can send me a PM if needed. Thanks!
L_Cham_67
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Camping for The Thumbs

Postby doogs » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 4:52 pm

We did it as an overnighter via Clear Hill. A great little trip. We camped on the plain near a creek which was nice and sheltered. If you're happy to cart water and camp high there were a few nice spots on that side of the ridge. Others may have suggestions for the Packers Spur side.
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby L_Cham_67 » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 10:39 am

The weather is looking pretty good this weekend, so a high camp is definitely an option! I guess the thing is i climbed Clear Hill only a few months ago so it'd be nice to avoid that climb (even though it's a great area!). Is heading north from the Adamsfield area towards the Clear Hill plains and camping in that vicinity a feasible option?
L_Cham_67
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby stepbystep » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 1:03 pm

L_Cham_67 wrote:The weather is looking pretty good this weekend, so a high camp is definitely an option! I guess the thing is i climbed Clear Hill only a few months ago so it'd be nice to avoid that climb (even though it's a great area!). Is heading north from the Adamsfield area towards the Clear Hill plains and camping in that vicinity a feasible option?

I was with doogs on the circuit via Clear Hill. I've also done a daywalk from Adamsfield area via Packers Spur. If you want a high camp I'd do what doogs suggests or camp early on Packers Spur. As soon as you enter the Thumbs ridgeline from Packers Spur side however it's pretty scrubby/steep. I can't recall any decent camping. There would be many places on the plains below the Thumbs to camp. The other option is to go in Timbs Track and climb up the eastern side. I haven't been up this way so can't comment on how long/difficult it would be. If you have 2 days I'd recommend the Clear Hill route, there are spectacular views of the Gordon Gorge.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bogholesbuckethats » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 9:11 pm

I've heard of a few groups walking north from near the camping area in Adamsfield and camping on the plains. The river crossing would be interesting this time of year, probably not worth the risk if you only have the one car and no recovery gear. The footbridge should still be fine though and will add only a couple of hundred meters of road walking.
That looks like a pad.
bogholesbuckethats
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby L_Cham_67 » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 11:09 pm

bogholesbuckethats wrote:I've heard of a few groups walking north from near the camping area in Adamsfield and camping on the plains. The river crossing would be interesting this time of year, probably not worth the risk if you only have the one car and no recovery gear. The footbridge should still be fine though and will add only a couple of hundred meters of road walking.

Yeah I was never planning on driving up the road! I don't think my 2wd would handle it haha.
I like the sound of heading north from the Adamsfield area up the plains, although now I'm considering just taking my bike and doing it as a day walk via packers spur. We shall see.
L_Cham_67
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby bogholesbuckethats » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 12:00 pm

If you head along the road to packers spur you'll have to pass over a number of smaller creeks just past the main camp-site. They have a hard bottom but will probably be shin to knee deep.

With a bit of searching you should be able to get over them without getting wet feet, alternatively you could peddle quickly and try to aquaplane over the top :wink:
That looks like a pad.
bogholesbuckethats

Postby Doonish » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 9:54 pm

Yeah I was never planning on driving up the road! I don't think my 2wd would handle it haha.
I like the sound of heading north from the Adamsfield area up the plains, although now I'm considering just taking my bike and doing it as a day walk via packers spur. We shall see.

Might be a bit late for you, but did the walk up the plains from Adamsfield area about three years ago - it was very easy going through the buttongrass. No difficulties at all finding a place to camp in the plains below The Thumbs.
Doonish
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Fullers Bookshop

Postby north-north-west » Sat 13 Oct, 2018 10:04 am

When I did it, I camped just north of the summit rocks - plenty of room in a small saddle for a single tent. No water, but.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby L_Cham_67 » Sun 14 Oct, 2018 1:56 pm

I ended up camping close to Abel Creek, and making an assault on The Thumbs from there. But thanks for the advice and suggestions!
L_Cham_67
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Tasmania