St Paul’s Dome to Douglas Apsley track?

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

St Paul’s Dome to Douglas Apsley track?

Postby RodH42+ » Sat 27 Oct, 2018 1:50 pm

I have heard that there is a track (of sorts) from the Avoca area to the northern end of the Douglas Apsley National Park. Can anyone point me in the direction of track/walk notes, any descriptions or even a map? I’ve also heard that the Launceston Walking Club walk this track once a year?
RodH42+
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: St Paul’s Dome to Douglas Apsley track?

Postby doogs » Sun 28 Oct, 2018 5:49 am

St Pauls Dome is mainly private property, however, the landowners are bushwalkers so access is quite easily given. I lived fairly locally for a number of years and never heard of a track, you could link forestry roads to get to DA , this would probably entail a little bit of offtrack walking.
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 29 Oct, 2018 7:56 am

Maybe talk to the Launceston Walking Club? Or even join it?
There is a lot of private property up there, not just around St Pauls. If you look at ListMap there is a massive network of roads (probably all gravel) and vehicle tracks across the Fingal Tier, and following the right line along them would get you from very close to St Pauls over to Douglas Apsley, and even to the start of the Leeaberra. There might be limits on public access on those roads if there's logging in the area, however, and some of the older tracks and roads could be badly overgrown. Might be an interesting walk, but.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby RodH42+ » Mon 05 Nov, 2018 8:05 am

Thanks for your responses. I’ve sent a web message to LWC and used a satellite map on the BOD Council website to explore this. It looks possible. Cheers!
RodH42+
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Tasmania