Lake Malbena walk

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Lake Malbena walk

Postby JoeyJibJabber » Thu 01 Nov, 2018 2:26 pm

Hey guys. With all the drama going on with the lake Malbena issue I thought I might try and get there and have a look before anything gets approved (or doesn't hopefully). What's the best route to get to the lake? And how long would the whole trip be? Cheers.
JoeyJibJabber
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Lake Malbena walk

Postby Mark F » Thu 01 Nov, 2018 3:39 pm

Helicopter? :D
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby north-north-west » Thu 01 Nov, 2018 3:47 pm

The shortest walk would be from Johnsons Lagoon, but there are issues with road access. There is a post in here somewhere that talks about the Gowan Brae Rd - this road is drivable a fair way in by 2WD, but gated some distance short of the lagoon, and I'm not sure how you get permission to proceed. Far as I know even foot access requires owner permission (and a nominal fee) and driving may not be allowed at all.

I went in via the Traveller, Rim Lake and Mt Oana, but that's probably a longer walk than you'd like. Via the track into Travellers Rest would be shorter but still a good bit further than the Johnsons route.

EDIT: OK, this thread has a discussion about access via Gowan Brae Rd. Have fun. http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4775&p=341587&hilit=gowan+brae#p341587
If you go into ListMap - or have the appropriate 1:25,000 TasMap - the position of the gate is marked. It's approximately 1.5km south of the Johnsons turnoff, which tallies with my GPS data. That gives you approximately 8 to 9 km of road walking or cycling to Johnsons. Then you go cross country for another 8 or 9 km. It's mostly fairly open, even the forested sections have plenty of leads. Easier to stay in the valleys rather than going over Layatinnah (some awkward bouldery cliffy bits on the western side).
Should be possible to walk in in a longish day from the gate.
Last edited by north-north-west on Thu 01 Nov, 2018 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby doogs » Thu 01 Nov, 2018 3:56 pm

Cool. Advise is only given on the proviso that you share your photos on here on your return ;)
You've basically got two options:

1) From the south via Johnstons Lagoon, Lake Olive, then cut across Layatina Hill (collecting a peak bagger point :lol: ) and down to Lake Malbena. This is probably the quickest approach but you need to get permission from the Tasmanian Aboriginal Centre to cross their land and to see how far up the road you can get (2wd or 4wd).

2) From Lake Ada. Good tracks/pads as far as Lake Silver and then pick your way further along on faint wombat and fishermen pads to Lake Malbeny. Much of this section would be offtrack walking but shouldn't be too difficult.

I suggest taking 3 days for this trip. 1 in, 1 to explore and 1 out. Although it could be done as an overnighter.. really depends on your fitness on how long it'd take!

This is the one NNW was eluding to.. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4775&p=342128&hilit=gowan+brae#p342128
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Thu 01 Nov, 2018 4:18 pm

Y'know, looking at the maps and considering that vehicle access probably isn't an option beyond the gate, it would almost be a shorter walk via Blizzard Plains, Meston and Chinamans Plains.

ps doogs: *alluding *advice *Layatinna
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby JoeyJibJabber » Thu 01 Nov, 2018 4:38 pm

Awesome. Thanks guys! Hopefully will head out sometime soon.
JoeyJibJabber
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ofuros » Thu 01 Nov, 2018 7:15 pm

I used the Clarence Lagoon track as a trout fishing gateway to the area a long time ago...not sure if its still in use.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby doogs » Fri 02 Nov, 2018 6:49 am

north-north-west wrote:

ps doogs: *alluding *advice *Layatinna

Thanks NNW. Recently I haven't been exercising my brain as much as I should. I need to work on that!
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Tasmania