Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.

Forum rules

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.
Post a reply

Nutting & Ritters [split]

Sat 17 Oct, 2009 5:21 pm

What is the story behind the Ritters Track? I have done three walks in this area and have occasionally come across a pretty faded cairned track. Where does it start and Finish? Also what is the story of William Nutting I have camped on Lake Nutting a number of times but have not come across the cross. While Im at it does anyone know what the small structure NE of Lake Gwendy is? I saw it from the western shore last year but did not have the time to check it out?
Cheers, Joe.

Re: Day walks from Daisy Lakes?

Sat 17 Oct, 2009 7:31 pm

Hi Josef, re William Nutting, he was a hunter or trapper or sum
such, and died out near lake Nutting but not at the lake named after him.

Apparentlywhen the request was made to the board to have the lake named, it was done by Reg Dixon (of dixons kingdom fame) but Reg couldn't read a map so he picked one on a map that he thought looked the right shape. When he took the cross out there he put it where he knew was the correct place, and it's a couple of k's east of lake Nutting.
I think Ritters track starts near forty lakes peak or a bit east of it and runs to the walls or thereabouts. Not sure about the use but I think it was a stock route.
If you find Nuttings cross you will find ritters track next to it.

FF

Sat 17 Oct, 2009 7:38 pm

Thanks FF,
There are so many layers in a landscape and the more of them I get to know the better I start to understand a place. So thanks for this as it adds to my understanding of one of my favourite parts of the world and I really appreciate that.
Good on you BWT for providing such an easy place for sharing knowledge/stories.
Joe.

Sat 17 Oct, 2009 7:45 pm

You're right Joe, it is one of my favourite areas too.

I have a photo or two of that cross and when I locate them I'll post them here.

ff

Sat 17 Oct, 2009 9:42 pm

flyfisher wrote: and when I locate them I'll post them here.
Look forward to that. Always learning something myself, becoming an obsession.

Not intending to drift this topic off topic, but I'm reading "Shooting the Franklin" at the moment, learning quite a bit out of that let me tell you!!!! :shock:

Sat 17 Oct, 2009 9:51 pm

tasadam wrote:Not intending to drift this topic off topic, but I'm reading "Shooting the Franklin" at the moment, learning quite a bit out of that let me tell you!!!!

Did you see the documentary a few years ago about the first attempts at the Franklin.

From memory it was Hawkins, Crocker, Newlands and Dean in that party.Stuff of legends eh. :shock:

ff

Sat 17 Oct, 2009 9:55 pm

Googling Shooting the Franklin will get a nice result too. :D

ff
Post a reply