Dixons Track and Bar Lakes info pls

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Dixons Track and Bar Lakes info pls

Postby Gimped » Wed 16 Jan, 2019 1:52 pm

Hi everyone.
We are off fishing again across the central plateau in 2 weeks, this time around the Bar Lakes system.
We are planning to head up Dixons Track, which runs off the Meander Falls track.

Normally we don't need to take water on our hikes, as we are always moving along the available lakes.
Track notes suggest Dixons is 1-2 hours to get off the escarpment.
Does the track run along a creek where we could grab a drink, or will we need to take a small amount of water for the climb up?

Second question is does anyone know some camping spots at deep lake, grub lake, lake furmage, 1st and 2nd bar lakes etc?

Cheers,
Gimped
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon 28 Jan, 2013 6:38 pm
Region: New South Wales

Re: Dixons Track and Bar Lakes info pls

Postby north-north-west » Wed 16 Jan, 2019 6:05 pm

re camping: Pick a bit of ground you like, pitch your tent. There are approximately 57,691 usable sites around those lakes.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
User avatar
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii
 
Posts: 11249
Joined: Thu 14 May, 2009 7:36 pm
Location: The Asylum
ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Re: Dixons Track and Bar Lakes info pls

Postby Tortoise » Wed 16 Jan, 2019 7:51 pm

I went up Dixons Track last summer, and there wasn't much water in the creek. Reckon it's much drier now, so I wouldn't count on it. Not far to carry some, though. I'd keep an eye on the fire situation, though, with more dry lightning strikes likely in the near future.
User avatar
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii
 
Posts: 3598
Joined: Sat 28 Jan, 2012 9:31 pm
Location: NW Tasmania
Region: Tasmania
Gender: Female

Re: Dixons Track and Bar Lakes info pls

Postby Gimped » Wed 16 Jan, 2019 9:46 pm

north-north-west wrote:re camping: Pick a bit of ground you like, pitch your tent. There are approximately 57,691 usable sites around those lakes.


I've spent a fair bit of time in other parts of the plateau...grassy spots free of rocks and reasonably level aren't easy to find!
Gimped
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon 28 Jan, 2013 6:38 pm
Region: New South Wales

Re: Dixons Track and Bar Lakes info pls

Postby north-north-west » Thu 17 Jan, 2019 6:52 am

Gimped wrote:
north-north-west wrote:re camping: Pick a bit of ground you like, pitch your tent. There are approximately 57,691 usable sites around those lakes.


I've spent a fair bit of time in other parts of the plateau...grassy spots free of rocks and reasonably level aren't easy to find!


You have obviously spent a fair bit of time in the wrong parts of the CP. This is Grub Lake. If the patch of ground I'm on (which is considerably more extensive than this shot shows) isn't sufficiently level and free of rocks, you must be one hell of a lot fussier than I am.
CP183 copy.jpg


Furmage has similar ground, as do the Bar Lakes. Can't remember Deep well enough to guarantee it, but I do recall being spoilt for choice during that part of the trip.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
User avatar
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii
 
Posts: 11249
Joined: Thu 14 May, 2009 7:36 pm
Location: The Asylum
ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Re: Dixons Track and Bar Lakes info pls

Postby Gimped » Thu 17 Jan, 2019 8:19 am

north-north-west wrote:
Gimped wrote:
north-north-west wrote:re camping: Pick a bit of ground you like, pitch your tent. There are approximately 57,691 usable sites around those lakes.


I've spent a fair bit of time in other parts of the plateau...grassy spots free of rocks and reasonably level aren't easy to find!


You have obviously spent a fair bit of time in the wrong parts of the CP. This is Grub Lake. If the patch of ground I'm on (which is considerably more extensive than this shot shows) isn't sufficiently level and free of rocks, you must be one hell of a lot fussier than I am.

Furmage has similar ground, as do the Bar Lakes. Can't remember Deep well enough to guarantee it, but I do recall being spoilt for choice during that part of the trip.


Thanks for that :)
Gimped
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon 28 Jan, 2013 6:38 pm
Region: New South Wales

Re: Dixons Track and Bar Lakes info pls

Postby Lost » Mon 21 Jan, 2019 10:21 am

[url][URL=https://s601.photobucket.com/user/bigdamo888/media/DSC06403_zpsdumqrsri.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

I don't have any problems finding a spot up that way to pitch my tent, I'd be wary of the fires up that way this week ain't look good.
Lost
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun 20 Mar, 2016 1:06 pm
Region: Tasmania

Re: Dixons Track and Bar Lakes info pls

Postby johnrs » Mon 21 Jan, 2019 1:26 pm

Nice water there Lost!
Can you say which lake you have pictured?
John
johnrs
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides
 
Posts: 313
Joined: Mon 09 Aug, 2010 6:09 pm
Region: New South Wales

Re: Dixons Track and Bar Lakes info pls

Postby Gimped » Tue 22 Jan, 2019 10:07 am

Keeping a close eye on the fire situation.
2 years ago we were kicked out of the park because of fires that were much further away than the present ones around great lake.
Gimped
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon 28 Jan, 2013 6:38 pm
Region: New South Wales


Return to Tasmania

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests