Desktop version
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.

Forum rules

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.
Post a reply

Tide tables doe south coast track

Sun 27 Jan, 2019 11:56 am

Hi

I’d really appreciate a link to the best tide timetables for this walk ..having trouble working it out from the BOM site ..thanks very much

Re: Tide tables doe south coast track

Sun 27 Jan, 2019 12:31 pm

Just curious why you are looking for accurate tide details. The main tide issue used to be getting around Lion Rock but this is now bypassed. Best site to use is https://www.ausmarinescience.com/tide-times/2019-tasmania-tide-times/. For Port Davey use Bramble Cove, otherwise Maatsuyker Island will approximate for the South Coast.

Sun 27 Jan, 2019 6:45 pm

I was hoping to hit south cape rivulet at as low tide as possible .

Thanks for the links you posted

Tue 29 Jan, 2019 7:52 am

Sasha444 wrote:I was hoping to hit south cape rivulet at as low tide as possible .

Thanks for the links you posted

I doubt you will have any trouble at South Cape Rivulet. Unless it rains an awful lot in days preceding your arrival...and even at high tide it's barely going to come past the thighs. I'd say if you have made it that far along the SCT I'm sure that will not worry you! It's not a very wide crossing and sometimes waiting isn't that bad an option
Attachments
IMG_20180716_111600.jpg
South Cape Rivulet Crossing
IMG_20180716_111600.jpg (62.75 KiB) Viewed 5593 times

Tue 29 Jan, 2019 8:05 am

I've generally found that swell creates more of an issue there than tide height.

Tue 29 Jan, 2019 3:37 pm

Thanks for all the repliess.

Last time I did the track it hadn’t rained much yet the swell made it very hard to get across . One of our party broke a finger being swept against a rock as he crossed . So want to make it at least challenging as possible .

Wed 30 Jan, 2019 7:10 am

Sasha444 wrote:Thanks for all the repliess.

Last time I did the track it hadn’t rained much yet the swell made it very hard to get across . One of our party broke a finger being swept against a rock as he crossed . So want to make it at least challenging as possible .

Wow that must have been quite a swell, at least there wasn't too far to walk with a broken digit!. There was a quite a swell when I was there last, but it was quite a low tide.
I've always used willy weather tide tables when fishing

https://tides.willyweather.com.au/tas/s ... hport.html

Wed 30 Jan, 2019 11:09 am

Mark F wrote:Just curious why you are looking for accurate tide details. The main tide issue used to be getting around Lion Rock but this is now bypassed. Best site to use is https://www.ausmarinescience.com/tide-times/2019-tasmania-tide-times/. For Port Davey use Bramble Cove, otherwise Maatsuyker Island will approximate for the South Coast.

Yep Maatsuyker Island is the site to use. From memory there was roughly an hour difference for South Cape Rivulet. It's really only a couple of hours either side of high tide with a swell running that can cause an issue.
Post a reply