South Coast Track Itinerary

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

South Coast Track Itinerary

Postby Snigle » Mon 18 Feb, 2019 11:45 pm

I'm going to do the South Coast Track + Precipitous Bluff side trip in a few weeks and was hoping someone could check over our itinerary to ensure it is sensible.

=======================================
March 11 | Monday | Fly to Melaleuca
* Fly to Melaleuca (booked), arrive to airport around 7:00am, flight departs 8AM, arrives 9AM. Will start hiking if we arrive on time. Otherwise this is our buffer day.

March 12 | Tuesday | Melaleuca to Point Eric
March 13 | Wednesday | Point Eric to Louisa River
March 14 | Thursday | Louisa River to Deadman’s Bay
March 15 | Friday | Deadman’s Bay to Cavern Camp
March 16 | Saturday | Cavern Camp to Precipitous Bluff to Cavern Camp
March 17 | Cavern Camp to Osmiridium Beach
March 18 | Monday | Osmiridium Beach to Granite Beach
* This is a short walking day, and can be combined with tomorrow if we're running behind.

March 19 | Tuesday | Granite Beach to South Cape Rivulet
March 20 | Wednesday | South Cape Rivulet to Cockle Creek to Hobart
* Pickup from cockle creek tentatively scheduled for 2PM
=======================================

Also, how cold can I expect during the days/nights? It seems like 18C to 12C should be expected? Are there many Mosquitoes and/or Sand Flies in Tessie and/or around this track? I'm mostly trying to decide if I need to bring full on pants for this trip or i I can get away with shorts + wind pants.

Thanks!
Snigle
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australia

Re: South Coast Track Itinerary

Postby Azza » Wed 20 Feb, 2019 8:30 am

Looks okay.
Its worth having a look around Melaleuca - a lot of people hit the ground and make a bolt for the coast in a mad rush.

New River Lagoon depending on the water level takes 3-4 hours each way from memory.
I've walked out from Granite Beach a couple of times and skipping South Cape Rivulet.
You've got some flexibility there anyhow.

Temperature wise well...
It could be anywhere from 15 to 30 degrees during the day. More likely mid to low 20's.
Night time it could easily be well down into the single digits to probably 12 degrees.
I've been through in summer and it snowed on the Ironbounds and it was bitterly cold and wet for half the trip.
Expect some variety. Your going to cop the SW'lies straight off the Southern Ocean.

No sand flies. Mosquitos - tend to be noticeable around camp and when you stop.
Azza
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Orion » Wed 20 Feb, 2019 9:04 am

Azza wrote:No sand flies.

Maybe there's another name for them, but I've encountered very tiny biting flies at both Melaleuca and South Cape Rivulet. Or did you mean that they're usually gone by March?
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby L_Cham_67 » Wed 20 Feb, 2019 9:24 am

The route up from Cavern Camp to PB is vague at the best of times. You'll definitely want an early start that day, to allow for navigation, fatigue (as the climb/descent is relentless and steep), and time on the summit if you luck out with the weather.
Yeah 3-4 hours seems about right for the wade along the lagoon, I think we took 3.5 hours to make the trip.
L_Cham_67
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Azza » Wed 20 Feb, 2019 11:04 am

Orion wrote:
Azza wrote:No sand flies.

Maybe there's another name for them, but I've encountered very tiny biting flies at both Melaleuca and South Cape Rivulet. Or did you mean that they're usually gone by March?

I was thinking more in terms of the plagues of sandflies you get in fiordland NZ. I've never encountered anything comparable in Tassie.
The 3 or so longer trips along the coast I've done - I never came away with the impression that mosquitos or flies were a big deal.

Actually its the local wildlife you want to watch out for, they'll rip through packs and tents to get food.
Azza

Postby philm » Wed 20 Feb, 2019 12:40 pm

The weather looks pretty mild at present. Do people who have done the track think a sleeping bag with comfort of 5 degrees and lower limit of 0 will be reasonable for a south coast walk next week?
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby north-north-west » Wed 20 Feb, 2019 4:55 pm

What the weather is doing today has no relation to what it may do next week. Tasmanian weather's motto is not so much "changeable" as "schizoid".
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Gunner55 » Mon 01 Apr, 2019 4:28 pm

I wouldn't do this part of the world with a bag of anything less than -5 degrees comfort as weather can be so changeable. I was there in January and didn't need it then, but was glad I had it...
Gunner55
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Tasmania