Arthurs closed... Alternatives needed

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Arthurs closed... Alternatives needed

Postby Araucaria » Sat 23 Mar, 2019 11:33 am

Hi guys,
So we were planning to hike the Western and Eastern Arthurs in April, but unfortunately need to change our plans due to trail closures. With two weeks to spend, we're looking for alternative multi-day hikes anywhere in Tasmania, if possible accessible by public transport as we won't have a car. We're thinking of flying to Malaleuca, hiking to South West Cape (is there any trail there? and if not, do we need a permit for hiking off the trail?) and the then South Coast Track. We've also read about the Overland Track, but we're not too keen to book campgrounds and all that in advance.

We're both quite fit and experienced hikers and like remote trails, particularly with mountain views.

Thanks in advance for recommendations!
Araucaria
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Arthurs closed... Alternatives needed

Postby north-north-west » Sun 24 Mar, 2019 2:14 pm

All you need is a parks pass - same one you would have needed for the Arthurs.

The South West Cape circuit is tracked to Wilson Bight. Beyond that it's a variable pad, some of which is heavily overgrown. You need to be able to navigate off-track and to carry decent maps and notes. If you don't already have it, get Chapman's South West Tasmania book which has detailed notes on the route.

Unfortunately, most of the better off-track walks in the SW (Wilmot-Frankland, Denisons, Spires) are also closed, so options for longer walks are limited. Southern Range and South Coast circuit is one, although transport to/from Ida Bay and Cockle Creek can be tricky. Or - if you really want to go hard-core - you could do the Eldon traverse, starting at Lake Burbury and exiting either via Pigeonhouse or over Goulds Sugarloaf to Cuvier and Lake Petrarch and the Cuvier Valley. Both of those offer reasonable mountain scenery. The Southern Range option is easier, but there is reliable (if not overly frequent) bus transport on the Lyell Hway.

If there are just two of you, hitching would work. Or if the timing is right I could be persuaded to drive you to wherever you want to start if you cover the fuel costs and buy me enough Coke and chocolate for the journey...
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby DaveNoble » Sun 24 Mar, 2019 7:06 pm

Good public transport options that feature great mountain scenery could be - Frenchmans Cap (3 - 4 days), and a walk in the southern part of Cradle Mts Lake St Clair National Park - eg to Pine Valley and the Du Cane Range - you can easily spend 4 - 10 days, and the scenery is as good as anything in Tasmania. Both are accessible from the bus service up the Lyell Highway. You can download the Tassielink timetable, but the service may only be 3 or 4 days a week to or from Hobart. There are other services to and from Launceston to Cynthia Bay on Lake St Clair.
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Araucaria » Wed 27 Mar, 2019 1:48 pm

Thank you both for the recommendations. We're still considering different options and have a few questions:

1) You both mentioned bus service along the Lyell Hway (A10?) - I haven't found any Tassielink service there, could you provide more details please?

2) Du Cane Range looks great. Any recommendation on which nearby hike we can add to that to fill our 2-week vacation (and possibly add some variety in landscape)? Also, as we may not be able to fit 10+ days' worth of food in our packs - any ideas on where to resupply in the area?

north-north-west, many thanks for your kind offer. We'll keep in touch!
Araucaria
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby rangersac » Wed 27 Mar, 2019 1:54 pm

The Tassielink service via the Lyell Hwy stopped on 10th March. You can only get as far as Hamilton now by public transport.
rangersac
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Postby philm » Wed 27 Mar, 2019 1:57 pm

Plenty of options around
The Du Cane then across the Traveller range from the gatepost track. On the traveller it is all off track but Yu could go to Lake Artemis which is great then from there the Mountains of
Jupiter then head further South off track and eventually rejoin the overland track near Lake St Clare.
If you want to resupply then leave food at Lake St Clair so the Du Cane then walk back. I would just take the 10 days of food with me
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Violet_Femme » Wed 10 Apr, 2019 2:17 pm

rangersac wrote:The Tassielink service via the Lyell Hwy stopped on 10th March. You can only get as far as Hamilton now by public transport.

Yikes yes, I just got caught out by this when I was double checking my transport plans for my Frenchman's cap & Pine Valley trip in Easter. Now running around to see if I can still go or make other plans ....
Violet_Femme
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Violet_Femme » Wed 10 Apr, 2019 2:17 pm

rangersac wrote:The Tassielink service via the Lyell Hwy stopped on 10th March. You can only get as far as Hamilton now by public transport.

Yikes yes, I just got caught out by this when I was double checking my transport plans for my Frenchman's cap & Pine Valley trip in Easter. Now running around to see if I can still go or make other plans ....
Violet_Femme
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Tasmania