Access to Mts Scott and Maurice

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Access to Mts Scott and Maurice

Postby Chris » Sat 21 Sep, 2019 6:58 pm

Had an overdue return to one of my favourite little mountains last week - Mt Scott. It was delightful, with the usual lush ferns, impressive myrtles, black cockies and mercifully no leeches. The fungi were particularly good.

We were very lucky to make it - quoting https://www.sttas.com.au/using-our-forests/road-and-track-closures -

East Diddleum Rd East will be closed to all through traffic from Monday 23rd of September 2019 until Friday 20th of December 2019 inclusive. Timberlands Pacific Pty Ltd require the closure of the road to facilitate the safe harvesting of a pine plantation located on East Diddleum Road. Contact person - Jason Hall 0499 888 707 (updated 21/08/2019)

I presume that means that Scott and Maurice wil be unavailable for the rest of the year, unless there is an alternate route from the East?

Any suggestions?
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Access to Mts Scott and Maurice

Postby pazzar » Sat 21 Sep, 2019 7:19 pm

You can access Mt Maurice from Trenah, but I would suggest you have a high clearance vehicle and a chainsaw. I went up this way a couple of years ago but wasn't able to get through due to too many trees over the road.
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby pazzar » Sat 21 Sep, 2019 7:21 pm

Also, you can access Ben Ridge Rd, which takes you to Knights Rd, from Mathinna Plains. This approach to Mt Maurice is 2wd friendly.
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Chris » Sat 21 Sep, 2019 9:49 pm

Thanks Pazaar. The chainsaw option would be a bit of a problem, but Ben Range Rd looks do-able.
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Chris » Sun 06 Oct, 2019 2:40 pm

Last week East Diddleum Rd was not closed until immediately after the turn-off to Mt Scott. so that was still accessible the usual way. Worth phoning as advised on https://www.sttas.com.au/using-our-forests/road-and-track-closures for current information.
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Tasmania