Federation Peak status

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Federation Peak status

Postby owen » Mon 06 Jan, 2020 4:38 pm

Has anyone been up Federation Peak since the 2019 bushfires, or know the status of the Farmhouse Creek track?
owen
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon 03 Dec, 2018 9:21 pm
Region: Victoria
Gender: Male

Re: Federation Peak status

Postby bogholesbuckethats » Mon 06 Jan, 2020 5:51 pm

owen wrote:Has anyone been up Federation Peak since the 2019 bushfires, or know the status of the Farmhouse Creek track?


Unfortunately the Farmhouse Creek track is still closed, as is the access to the Eastern Arthurs from Scotts Peak past Kappa Moraine. The only access road to the Farmhouse Creek Track has been locked since the fires and is likely to remain closed for a while still. At the moment there is ~35kms of road between the locked gate and the start of the farmhouse creek track.
That looks like a pad.
User avatar
bogholesbuckethats
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
 
Posts: 544
Joined: Mon 02 Oct, 2017 12:06 pm
Location: Hobart
Region: Tasmania
Gender: Male

Re: Federation Peak status

Postby owen » Tue 07 Jan, 2020 11:01 pm

Thank you. That is a shame
owen
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon 03 Dec, 2018 9:21 pm
Region: Victoria
Gender: Male

Re: Federation Peak status

Postby Azza » Wed 08 Jan, 2020 10:11 am

Not sure how things will play out here.
It's probably not a priority for Parks to spend money on reopening these tracks/routes.
Parks weren't spending money on the tracks prior to the fires and 'its closed now because of erosion issues, fire damage, falling trees etc..'
I see a bit of stalemate here. Could be shut for years.
It would be nice if Parks could give an indication of what their plans are.
User avatar
Azza
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
 
Posts: 932
Joined: Thu 06 Mar, 2008 11:26 am

Re: Federation Peak status

Postby pazzar » Wed 08 Jan, 2020 10:27 am

Azza wrote:Not sure how things will play out here.
It's probably not a priority for Parks to spend money on reopening these tracks/routes.
Parks weren't spending money on the tracks prior to the fires and 'its closed now because of erosion issues, fire damage, falling trees etc..'
I see a bit of stalemate here. Could be shut for years.
It would be nice if Parks could give an indication of what their plans are.


I agree. Of the tracks that are closed, I see the Eastern Arthurs as the lowest priority. Last I heard was that none of the tracks will be open this summer, but I suspect tracks like Mt Eliza and the Needles will be good to go for next summer. I would think that Lake Rhona would be planned for the summer of 2021/22, although Parks may want to close off that area so they don't have to deal with the poo problem.
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
User avatar
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii
 
Posts: 2687
Joined: Thu 09 Jul, 2009 5:22 pm
Location: Hobart
Region: Tasmania
Gender: Male

Re: Federation Peak status

Postby dee_legg » Wed 08 Jan, 2020 10:55 am

pazzar wrote:I would think that Lake Rhona would be planned for the summer of 2021/22, although Parks may want to close off that area so they don't have to deal with the poo problem.


They sure got unlucky that the new toilet they built out there burnt down after only a few months of use!
User avatar
dee_legg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides
 
Posts: 441
Joined: Mon 01 Oct, 2007 4:12 pm
Location: Hobart
Region: Tasmania
Gender: Female

Re: Federation Peak status

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Thu 09 Jan, 2020 4:42 pm

dee_legg wrote:
pazzar wrote:I would think that Lake Rhona would be planned for the summer of 2021/22, although Parks may want to close off that area so they don't have to deal with the poo problem.


They sure got unlucky that the new toilet they built out there burnt down after only a few months of use!



Seriously? They FINALLY put one there and it got burnt. Wow that is a shame.

I think the road is the main issue with Federation. There is alot of road that is yet to be deemed safe. They are worried the burnt trees will be falling left right and centre. Some blasting has been going on to clear them out but im not sure on the current status of this.
Nothing to see here.
User avatar
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii
 
Posts: 10452
Joined: Sun 28 Dec, 2008 9:53 am
Region: Tasmania
Gender: Male

Re: Federation Peak status

Postby dee_legg » Thu 09 Jan, 2020 5:45 pm

dee_legg wrote:Seriously? They FINALLY put one there and it got burnt. Wow that is a shame.

Yep, they put it out there during last winter but it wasn't publicly announced anywhere that I know of. I think the idea was to manage the issue without encouraging more people to go there.
User avatar
dee_legg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides
 
Posts: 441
Joined: Mon 01 Oct, 2007 4:12 pm
Location: Hobart
Region: Tasmania
Gender: Female

Re: Federation Peak status

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Thu 09 Jan, 2020 6:20 pm

That's an approach I support.
Nothing to see here.
User avatar
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii
 
Posts: 10452
Joined: Sun 28 Dec, 2008 9:53 am
Region: Tasmania
Gender: Male

Re: Federation Peak status

Postby north-north-west » Sat 11 Jan, 2020 5:54 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:I think the road is the main issue with Federation. There is alot of road that is yet to be deemed safe. They are worried the burnt trees will be falling left right and centre. Some blasting has been going on to clear them out but im not sure on the current status of this.


Arve Rd is currently gated at the Hartz turnoff. There is not, and will not be for some time, vehicular access to any of the Arthurs access tracks except Scotts Peak. And walking in and out from Kappa Moraine is probably not a good idea.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
User avatar
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii
 
Posts: 12199
Joined: Thu 14 May, 2009 7:36 pm
Location: The Asylum
ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Re: Federation Peak status

Postby doogs » Sun 12 Jan, 2020 5:42 am

Tahune airwalk is due to open next month so access is edging a little closer..
Do you want to build a snowman?
User avatar
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii
 
Posts: 3555
Joined: Mon 11 Oct, 2010 4:32 pm
Region: Tasmania
Gender: Male

Re: Federation Peak status

Postby north-north-west » Sun 12 Jan, 2020 7:06 am

Then we just have to persuade the powers that be that it's a great idea to open the roads and tracks beyond it.
Good luck with that.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
User avatar
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii
 
Posts: 12199
Joined: Thu 14 May, 2009 7:36 pm
Location: The Asylum
ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Re: Federation Peak status

Postby doogs » Mon 13 Jan, 2020 6:11 am

north-north-west wrote:Then we just have to persuade the powers that be that it's a great idea to open the roads and tracks beyond it.
Good luck with that.

Meh.. easy. You just need to tell the decision making wombles at TASPaWS that Lake Sydney is actually Lake Malbena, then they'll throw plenty of resources to open the area up and clearing the tracks.
Do you want to build a snowman?
User avatar
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii
 
Posts: 3555
Joined: Mon 11 Oct, 2010 4:32 pm
Region: Tasmania
Gender: Male

Re: Federation Peak status

Postby north-north-west » Mon 13 Jan, 2020 6:56 am

doogs wrote:
north-north-west wrote:Then we just have to persuade the powers that be that it's a great idea to open the roads and tracks beyond it.
Good luck with that.

Meh.. easy. You just need to tell the decision making wombles at TASPaWS that Lake Sydney is actually Lake Malbena, then they'll throw plenty of resources to open the area up and clearing the tracks.

Why bother? They prefer to fly people in. That is what 'self-reliant recreation" is all about these days.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
User avatar
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii
 
Posts: 12199
Joined: Thu 14 May, 2009 7:36 pm
Location: The Asylum
ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania


Return to Tasmania

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests