Cheapest/Most Accessible Peaks by PT

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Cheapest/Most Accessible Peaks by PT

Postby Explorer_Sam » Sun 09 Feb, 2020 1:17 pm

Planning on flying into Launie or Hobart sometime later this year when the flights are cheap.

A 3 or 4 day getaway. Just wondering if there are any good wilderness areas or peaks close to public transport routes (happy to walk in from a township within reason - 10 or 15km.

Any ideas? Bonus points if there are Abels in the region.
Explorer_Sam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Cheapest/Most Accessible Peaks by PT

Postby johnw » Sun 09 Feb, 2020 3:11 pm

Explorer_Sam wrote:Planning on flying into Launie or Hobart sometime later this year when the flights are cheap.

A 3 or 4 day getaway. Just wondering if there are any good wilderness areas or peaks close to public transport routes (happy to walk in from a township within reason - 10 or 15km.

Any ideas? Bonus points if there are Abels in the region.

Remoter parts of kunanyi/Mt Wellington was my immediate thought. Pretty sure you can get a bus to Fern Tree from Hobart CBD.
I'd probably go from there and walk up to the summit through The Springs, then The Pinnacle and Zig Zag tracks.
Then head over to the Collinsvale peaks area via Mt Connection - Collins Bonnet, Collins Cap, Trestle Mountain and beyond to explore.
I had a wander around the Thark Ridge area last time I was in Hobart about 12 months ago; pretty much had the place to myself.
Have a look at List Map - plenty of options to make up a nice route to suit your time frame.

Collins Bonnet and kunanyi itself are Abels I believe.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Cheapest/Most Accessible Peaks by PT

Postby pazzar » Mon 10 Feb, 2020 9:24 am

Check out the Tassielink bus routes. There is a Burnie to Strahan bus which would get you close to Mt Murchison, Tyndalls, Dundas etc. If you are comfortable hitch hiking, I've found it pretty easy to get a lift on the west coast.
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Return to Tasmania