Access to Mt Arthur

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Access to Mt Arthur

Postby davehenderson » Thu 10 Dec, 2009 1:05 pm

Decided I'd go for a walk on Mt Arthur on Tuesday, got most of the way there and found the road blocked by a forestry operation :x just thought I would let others know with similar plans. Not sure how long they will be there but it looked like they were in the initial stages of something much larger. it's a real shame as the scoparia would be at it's best right now.
Btw, does anyone know of any other tracks on Mt Arthur?, an elderly friend of mine remembers other tracks in her younger days but I can't find any references to these.

regards,
Dave
Quamby Bluff, Mt Arthur, Mt Barrow, Split Rock Falls, Warner's Track, Bastion Cascades, Lady Lake, Mt Roland (King's Rd)
davehenderson
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Access to Mt Arthur

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Thu 10 Dec, 2009 1:23 pm

Yeh I read about that recently on this page which can be very very handy...

http://www.forestrytas.com.au/visiting/road-closures

was hoping to get up that way sometime soon myself so wouldnt mind knowing the answer to this too.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stu » Thu 10 Dec, 2009 1:28 pm

I went up the Lilydale side earlier on in the year, described in the wiki link below:

http://bushwalk.com/wiki/index.php?titl ... ount_Track

There is also a track on the Scottsdale side which apparently takes a little longer.
Not sure about the location of this track, but the links at the bottom of the above page make reference to Chapmans book + others.
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tazz » Thu 10 Dec, 2009 3:23 pm

The best track to the top of Mt Arthur is accessed at the end of Mountain road,on the right just after entering the 70kmh speed zone at Lilydale.I would give the Whites mill road option a miss I think.
tazz
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby tastrekker » Thu 10 Dec, 2009 10:08 pm

18 years ago I dumped my car at Hollybank and mountain biked over Butchers Creek and along old logging roads which skirted the headwaters of Pipers River to a 'carpark' only 15 minutes walk from the summit. I was then able to ride down Whites Mill Road and back up Lillydale Road to Hollybank. I'd be interested to know if any other MTB riders have done this circuit in recent years.
tastrekker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Chris » Thu 10 Dec, 2009 10:33 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:Yeh I read about that recently on this page which can be very very handy...
http://www.forestrytas.com.au/visiting/road-closures
was hoping to get up that way sometime soon myself so wouldnt mind knowing the answer to this too.

Thanks for the link ILT, a useful one to have bookmarked, but if you're referring to the topic " South Arthur Forest Drive closed until further notice." it's not actually anywhere near Mt Arthur.
South Arthur Forest Drive is in the Tarkine, and Mt Arthur sort of East Tamar... which raises the question, why hasn't FT included info on lack of access to Mt Arthur on that site? :x
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Fri 11 Dec, 2009 7:54 am

Hmmm A good point and thanks for the conformation
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby davehenderson » Fri 11 Dec, 2009 7:27 pm

:D
The best track to the top of Mt Arthur is accessed at the end of Mountain road,on the right just after entering the 70kmh speed zone at Lilydale.I would give the Whites mill road option a miss I think.

Hey, looks like that may be a better option for me in future thanks heaps!
Quamby Bluff, Mt Arthur, Mt Barrow, Split Rock Falls, Warner's Track, Bastion Cascades, Lady Lake, Mt Roland (King's Rd)
davehenderson
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby sirius Tas » Mon 21 Dec, 2009 9:07 am

Hi Dave,
Have been up onto Mt Arthur a couple of times Geocaching and have used the White Mill Road access as described in my log at the following address
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... y&decrypt=

I believe this would be by far the easiest route as it's the one taken by the Forestry Fire Tower operator...even though you'll need to walk in from the gate.I think my time up was only 60 min or so...easy climb.
Cheers
sirius
After a day's walk everything has twice its usual value.
sirius Tas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Tasmania