Lakes Belton and Belcher

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Lakes Belton and Belcher

Postby ceevees » Mon 14 Jan, 2008 10:16 pm

Just wondering if anyone has walked the track into Lakes Belton and Belcher recently. I've never walked the track and want to do a short overnight walk fairly close to Hobart that is not Tarn Shelf (I never tire of Tarn Shelf, but my boys are keen to do something different!). I've always heard the track into Belton and Belcher was pretty muddy, but was thinking that at this stage of the year it might not be too bad. Otherwise, any comments about some of the other tracks in the area such as the tracks to Mt Field East would be appreciated.

thanks
ceevees
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: Lakes Belton and Belcher

Postby flyfisher » Fri 18 Jan, 2008 10:39 am

I haven't been to Lake Belton ,but I have been to Lake Belcher a few times (fishing as well )and it can be quite muddy from around the hut up to the lake.It will probably take about 2 hours each way and is well worth the effort,
Lake belton is further on up the hill to the left.This year is about as dry as it gets,so it mightn't be too bad.
Quite a lot of biggish fish in Belcher.

Enjoy
John
Last edited by flyfisher on Sun 03 Feb, 2008 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania
Region: Tasmania

Postby PeterJ » Sun 20 Jan, 2008 3:22 pm

ceevees wrote: I've always heard the track into Belton and Belcher was pretty muddy, but was thinking that at this stage of the year it might not be too bad. Otherwise, any comments about some of the other tracks in the area such as the tracks to Mt Field East would be appreciated.

The route/pad to Lake Belton is getting a bit difficult to follow, but basically goes uphill soon after crossing the Humbolt

Field East is a lovely walk and can be done as a circuit. Leaves from lake Fenton, climbs then crosses moorland before climbing over scree to summit. Return the same way or go out via Lake Nicholls track. Just before reaching the Dobson road there is an old well benched side track that saves part of the road walking back to Fenton car park.
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ceevees » Sun 20 Jan, 2008 10:23 pm

thanks for your replies.

we might do the field east circuit first, and keep lake belton up our sleeves for another trip.

cheers, Tracey
ceevees
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby johnw » Thu 24 Jan, 2008 12:28 pm

Tracey,
We did the Mt Field East circuit as a day trip in Feb 2006. Started from the Lake Fenton carpark and going via Seagars lookout, Windy Moor (a bit muddy and the track is quite braided in places but not too hard to follow), Mt Field East summit, down to lake Nicholls hut (pretty spot), then back to the road. Unfortunately the last section is then about 2km along the road back up the hill, but this was the only negative that I remember. Well except for the White Lipped snake that reared up at me near Seagars lookout...only time I've ever had a snake threaten me, although it was only a small one.

The walk is not difficult but may be a little strenuous in places. My recollection of Mt Field summit is a large pile of boulders sitting on a plateau, that you scramble up to gain the top (great views).

I don't know about camping, I think part of the walk is in a water catchment area. I'm not sure but had a vague idea that you might be able to camp in the vicinity of Lake Nicholls? It certainly looked like a nice spot to do so if it's permitted.

johnw
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby PeterJ » Sun 03 Feb, 2008 8:22 pm

ceevees wrote:....any comments about some of the other tracks in the area such as the tracks to Mt Field East would be appreciated.

Further to the Field East track and also the comments from johnw on Thu 24 Jan about "the road back up the hill, ... as the only negative". I have added some track notes at http://bushwalktracknotes.blogspot.com/ ... rcuit.html that describe how to use the Old Pack Track to avoid some considerable road walking.

The crux of it is after descending from Lake Nicholls for close on 40 minutes you pass two sign marked "track" and behind the second one there is very good track leading back to Lake Fenton
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnw » Thu 07 Feb, 2008 7:53 am

PeterJ wrote:The crux of it is after descending from Lake Nicholls for close on 40 minutes you pass two sign marked "track" and behind the second one there is very good track leading back to Lake Fenton

Aha! Thanks Peter, a bit of local knowledge goes a long way. :wink: That sounds like it would make the circuit much more enjoyable over the last couple of Kms.

johnw
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby PeterJ » Mon 11 Feb, 2008 9:11 pm

With regard to the Field East circuit, part of the Old Pack Track has recently been cleared by the Friends of Mt Field, so it is even easier to use this section and avoid walking on the road. See http://fieldfriends.blogspot.com/
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kramster » Tue 19 Feb, 2008 9:22 am

ceevees wrote:Just wondering if anyone has walked the track into Lakes Belton and Belcher recently.

I'm planning on having a look in that direction next weekend. We are hope to drop off the side of K-Col (looks quite steep and scrubby), and attempting to reach the hut at Lk Belcher (and explore Lk Belton too hopefully), then following the apparently "very muddy" track back up to Wombat Moor.

Spent a night up on K-Col last May, which was just magical (clear sky, great sunset, mist rolling up over the saddle). The hut is nice (for 2 or so people), but you have to share it with the odd scaber-toothed mouse :)
kramster
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby PeterJ » Tue 19 Feb, 2008 3:43 pm

kramster wrote:
I'm planning on having a look in that direction next weekend. We are hope to drop off the side of K-Col (looks quite steep and scrubby), and attempting to reach the hut at Lk Belcher (and explore Lk Belton too hopefully), then following the apparently "very muddy" track back up to Wombat Moor.

Will be interested to learn how you get on, I have been up from Belton to near Tyena Peak but never from KCol. Went down via Mawson and Hidden Tarn once. The track from Humbolt River up to the Wombat Moor should be OK and I reckon over the moor should be pretty dry
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bluewombat » Tue 19 Feb, 2008 3:54 pm

Hi Kramster
it is reasonably straightforwards dropping off K-Col to go down to Lake Belcher, use the eastern side of the gully. You can work your way around the base of the hill and then drop down to Belcher, dont go too early it is quite scrubby. The old hut at Belcher was looking a bit worse for wear 18 months ago, I would not rely on it as a sole form of shelter. The track back to Wombat Moor is pretty variable in terms of mud, ranging from the top of my boot sole to the top of my thigh at different times. It is really only the short section from Belcher to the Belton turn off that gets bad and given the current weather I dont think it will be a problem at the moment.
bw
Even a long life is short
HPB
bluewombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kramster » Thu 28 Feb, 2008 10:36 am

Spent last weekend up at Lake Belcher.
Our earlier plans of coming over K-Col, then down to the lakes were scrubbed when the weather deteriorated quite significantly, instead we made the somewhat shorter return journey to Lk Belcher Hut via the track over Wombat Moor. The walk was quite nice - traversing alpine moor, boulder scree and button-grass plains (with the expected muddy sections), spotted with the odd pencil-pine and pandanni. Dobson Road (Wombat Moor Lookout) to Lk Belcher Hut takes around 2-3 hours (depending on which way the gale is blowing) :)

Was an enjoyable walk (when gale, sleet and rain were not hammering you in the face anyway).
Spent the night at Lk Belcher Hut, which would be a lovely place in nicer weather. In strong winds, you can feel the hut move on its foundations. There are also numerous gaps in the walls + floor, which made sheltering from Frebruary blizzards somewhat uncomfortable. We soon gave up on keeping the fire burning, and pitched the tent inside the hut with the thought of getting some insulation and shelter from the wind. The next 24 hrs or so were spent living in sleeping-bags, down-jackets and other thermal parafanalia (haven't been that cold for some time!). The following morning, there was snow settled on the outside flaps of my tent (which says something for the gaps in the hut).

Given a little work, the hut would be an ideallic oasis (fixing leaning foundation stumps, additional floorboards and some plastic on the walls should do it - similar to the work done at Junction Cabin on the Central Plateau).

Would like to make a return trip at some stage, and actually see Lakes Belcher and Belton. Apparently it is a good spot for fly-fishing also.

kramster
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby PeterJ » Thu 28 Feb, 2008 7:56 pm

kramster wrote:Spent last weekend up at Lake Belcher. .............................. Given a little work, the hut would be an ideallic oasis (fixing leaning foundation stumps, additional floorboards and some plastic on the walls should do it - similar to the work done at Junction Cabin on the Central Plateau).

Interesting observation, one member of the Friends of Mt Field has done some basic repair work on the hut and is keen to do more. http://mtfieldfriends.googlepages.com/home
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby slick41st » Fri 14 Mar, 2008 5:49 pm

kramster wrote:Spent last weekend up at Lake Belcher.

Would like to make a return trip at some stage, and actually see Lakes Belcher and Belton. Apparently it is a good spot for fly-fishing also.

Yep can report the flyfishing (esp at Belcher is very good. I got 4 fish to 4lb in 4 hours last trip, but it is very hard to bash around sections of the lake, and in a lot of areas the bottom is boggy to wade. You can polaroid many fish on a clear day, trouble is getting to most of them.
slick41st
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Tasmania