New to hiking

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

New to hiking

Postby jamehhh » Mon 01 Feb, 2010 1:03 am

Hi guys,

Okay so I'm a complete newbie to hiking and bushwalking, but I aim to change that this year! I'm planning a trip to TAS and I'd like to do some hiking, preferably multiple days/nights in the Cradle/Lake St Claire region. The only opportunity I have to make it down is in July cos of uni holidays...which probably won't work in my favour with the whole winter thing. I'd just like some advice on some good trails, and general tips for a beginner. I love the sound of the Overland but I'm not sure whether my knowledge and skills will allow me to accomplish such a trail.
Your advice is very much appreciated!

Cheers,
Jamie
jamehhh
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: New to hiking

Postby ollster » Mon 01 Feb, 2010 7:22 am

Hey Jamie. Worth bearing in mind that the Overland Track is the best marked multi-day track in Tasmania, and usually has hordes of people on in, so for newbies it's a safe bet. Other tracks around the area may test your skills more than the OLT itself.

Still I wouldn't really say anywhere in Tas is 100% safe for a new solo walker (assuming you're by yourself).

It might be a good idea to pop a note in the "looking for walking companions" section or whatever it's called and see if anyone else is heading to the OLT or similar around the time you're thinking of visiting.

You may want to have a look at the John Chapman books, which are a great starting point.
http://www.john.chapman.name/pub.html

Early winter on the OLT usually doesn't see the worst weather, but it will be freaking cold. :mrgreen:
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby stepbystep » Mon 01 Feb, 2010 8:34 am

Hi Jamie,
In my opinion even the OLT might be a bit of a stretch in mid winter for a novice - that's coming from someone who still considers themselves a bit of a novice.
Perhaps walks from either end of the track - to Waterfall Valley from the North or to Pine Valley from the South, this would allow you a base to explore from for a couple of nights without getting yourself into the middle of the park and hitting whiteout conditions, which can most certainly occur in July.
This is the approach I have used to overnight camping and feel it is pretty responsible and successful. When you have tested your skills and resiliance via this method and daywalks, you would probably tackle the OLT with no problems and enjoy it more due to a lack of anxiety, and a broader skills set.
Hope this helps, sbs
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby ollster » Mon 01 Feb, 2010 11:42 am

stepbystep wrote:In my opinion even the OLT might be a bit of a stretch in mid winter for a novice

Actually, yeah. Considering what happened last time a newbie bit off more than they could chew... :mrgreen:
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Mon 01 Feb, 2010 11:54 am

Without covering where to walk (plenty of time for that), there's heaps you'll need to know about dealing with the cold and having the right gear for it.
It's hard to know what advice to give in this regard with your initial post, other than that you say you are a complete newbie.
So I would assume from that, you are in the process of obtaining all your gear etc... What have you got so far?
Are you familiar with Hypothermia and how to avoid it? I've done 9 days on the OT in winter and was well equipped for it. It is indeed a very different walk to the warmer months.
Help us out here, what advice would you like?
Cheers
Adam.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby tasadam » Mon 01 Feb, 2010 11:56 am

And re walks to suggest, how fit are you? How do you cope with hills & mountains and carrying 20 kg's on your back all day?
Agree re the Chapman books.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby Azza » Mon 01 Feb, 2010 11:58 am

Hi Jamie,

I'd be careful about charging off into the overland track at that time of year with limited experience.
With good weather conditions and right equipment you'd be just fine.

But get a decent dump of snow and whiteout conditions and you could very easily get yourself into a spot of bother.
One June long weekend I stepped on a seemingly normal bit of ground near Mt Oakleigh - it turned out to be a waist deep
mud puddle and the surface had frozen over. I fell through to my waist, just to top of the situation shortly afterwards it started snowing..
It didn't present any major problems for me at the time, I washed off in a creek and went back to pelion hut and climbed into my sleeping bag.
That sort of situation could easily lead to trouble- big time recipe for hyperthermia.

Best advice is probably work on your skills by doing overnight trips back at home and work yourself up to the OLT.

Cheers

Aaron
Azza
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby tasadam » Mon 01 Feb, 2010 12:55 pm

aljscott wrote:<snip> hyperthermia.<snip>

Hypo Hyper, I keep getting em mixed up. Too hot or too cold...
Google is my friend.
Here we go... (wiki)

Hypothermia (low core body temperature)
Hyperthermia (opposite, sort of)
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby ollster » Mon 01 Feb, 2010 1:47 pm

Az normally gets alcothermia.

Oll.
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Mon 01 Feb, 2010 5:59 pm

Yeh I bet the first thing he did once he was in his sleeping bag was reach for the rampage!
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Azza » Mon 01 Feb, 2010 9:33 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:Yeh I bet the first thing he did once he was in his sleeping bag was reach for the rampage!

yup, certainly did.. sat on the deck and watched the snow and a couple of clowns set the hut on fire...
At least I wasn't sick over the balcony..

Top tip for the day- if your powdered milk has weavels in it... don't drink it.
Azza

Postby Erica » Tue 02 Feb, 2010 7:51 am

aljscott wrote:But get a decent dump of snow and whiteout conditions and you could very easily get yourself into a spot of bother.
One June long weekend I stepped on a seemingly normal bit of ground near Mt Oakleigh - it turned out to be a waist deep
mud puddle and the surface had frozen over. I fell through to my waist, just to top of the situation shortly afterwards it started snowing..

but.. you've gotta watch out for that anywhere near Oakleigh, damn Oakleigh mud puddles, very deceptive. A friend of mine tells a story about whilst guiding a group up Oakleigh falling in a puddle and putting his hand on what he thought was a nice piece of earth to pull himself out... only to discover it was a decaying wombat. Pretty sure he got out of that hole pretty quickly.

On the snow front, I walked through the track during Uni holidays in 2008 and am quite an experienced walker and know the OLT very well, and we had a few problems with falling off snow covered boardwalks, as well as a scary experience crossing Cradle Cirque and down into Scott Kilvert, so no matter how well prepared you are, it can be pretty nasty. That being said, I have a group of friends that went through the same time last year, and basically had no snow, so expect anything. But, like people have said, make sure you're prepared for the worst, and for a first time walk, I'd try and do a bit of walking with the pack you're planning on doing at a reasonably heavy weight just so you can make an attempt to see what it's like.

Hope that makes sense, had a few wines and can't be bothered re-reading to check grammar etc.

Erica
Erica
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stepbystep » Tue 02 Feb, 2010 8:26 am

Erica wrote: had a few wines and can't be bothered re-reading to check grammar etc.

Erica

It's 8:50 am Erica, you're keen :shock:
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Erica » Tue 02 Feb, 2010 10:33 am

I'm also currently in the UK, so it was 9:50pm. Although, have done that before...
Erica
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jcr_au » Tue 02 Feb, 2010 6:01 pm

[quote="jamehhh"]Hi guys,

The only opportunity I have to make it down is in July cos of uni holidays...

I know bushwalking clubs aren't all that popular these days, particularly with the younger walkers (ok I'm slipping into dad mode here), but uni walking clubs are generally a lot of fun, a great help and full of similar aged people.

I know not all uni's have their "own" club, but if yours doesn't I'm sure you would find a club something like the Sydney Uni club more than welcoming of members from other institutions, or non-students even

john r
John R
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work.
I want to achieve immortality through not dying."
jcr_au
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Return to Tasmania