Lake Judd Walk

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Lake Judd Walk

Postby mjdalessa » Sun 07 Feb, 2010 8:22 am

Has anyone done a day walk to lake Judd?
If so how long does it take if its possible?
Is Mt. Sarah Jane possible to do in a day as well?
Thanks,
Marco
Recent Peaks: Snowy South, Ben Nevis, Victoria, Blackboy, Bastion
mjdalessa
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Lake Judd Walk

Postby stepbystep » Sun 07 Feb, 2010 8:38 am

Hi Marco,

Lake Judd is certainly doable in a day, from memory it took me about 7 hours with lunch at the lake, plenty of mud on the track before crossing the Anne River. Should be pretty dry now though.
Track is easy to follow although becomes braided in this same section so you need to be a little careful not to lose it here.
If heavy rain is happening the Anne River can flood and become uncrossable and the mud would be pretty bad.

To do Sarah Jane on the same day would be impossible for mere mortals but I have heard of it being done - would be a looong hard day.
Cheers,sbs
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby norts » Sun 07 Feb, 2010 9:45 am

I did the mt Anne Circuit Last w/e still alot of mud into Lake Judd but not horrendous. Up to Sarah Jane and back would be a big day but if you got an early start it would be do-able. Climbing up to Sarah Jane from Anne river is a hard walk, bottom half is bushy and you are pushing through a tight track, we came down from Sarah Jane and as we did, we were commenting on how much harder it would be to go up.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby JamesMc » Sun 07 Feb, 2010 10:17 am

Lake Judd is an excellent day walk to a beautiful lake. It's pretty muddy, and there is a ford on the Anne River which could be a problem if it's in flood.
If you want to get a bit of altitude in the day, it would probably be easier to go up Schnells Ridge than Mt Sarah Jane.

JamesMc
JamesMc
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby mjdalessa » Sun 07 Feb, 2010 10:54 am

How difficult is the walk? Is it suitable for the not so agile? On the map it looks like a quite gentle climb?
mjdalessa

Postby stepbystep » Sun 07 Feb, 2010 11:16 am

To Judd it's not too steep, there are some undulating sections. You would need reasonable fitness - on a hot day it would be quite taxing across the buttongrass.
Although I didn't find it hard I was reasonably fit. It depends on your general fitness and experience.
What walks have you done?
That way we could gauge the difficulty for you better.
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby mjdalessa » Sun 07 Feb, 2010 5:24 pm

I have done:
Cradle Mtn
Mt. Wellington form Lenah Valley
Mt. Roland/ Mt. Van Dyke Circuit
Wellington Falls Circuit
Just to name a few
mjdalessa

Postby Ent » Sun 07 Feb, 2010 5:51 pm

Content removed by poster
Last edited by Ent on Tue 30 Nov, 2010 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Sun 07 Feb, 2010 7:38 pm

mjdalessa wrote:I have done:
Cradle Mtn
Mt. Wellington form Lenah Valley
Mt. Roland/ Mt. Van Dyke Circuit
Wellington Falls Circuit
Just to name a few

No worries I'm sure, you have to be careful giving advice to those you don't know. I've been burned before :oops:
So long as there is not a huge amount of rain I'm sure you will be fine. The 2nd river crossing has no bridge so you will need to take your boots off.

JamesMc's advice is sound, best to go to the lake first and duck up Schnell's Ridge on the way back if you have the energy, the views from Schnell's look sublime, particularly down Lake Judd.
See viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3418
I'm hoping to get up there in March, have fun.
Cheers, sbs
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby nakedape » Mon 08 Feb, 2010 1:48 pm

We were on that track a day before Norts (g'day Roger) and yes Its quite achievable in a day BUT why just a day - the lake is a great spot to camp. Admittedly the flies are rather friendly when the temp is up a bit and the track is a bit overgrown so if your taller (like me) you'll find your pack getting snagged a lot. The view of the cliffs are however worth the effort.

the nakedape
nakedape
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby norts » Mon 08 Feb, 2010 5:25 pm

Cliffs are magnificient
IMG_0086 (Large).JPG

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby the notsofits » Sun 23 Jan, 2011 3:21 pm

mjdalessa wrote:Has anyone done a day walk to lake Judd?
If so how long does it take if its possible?
Is Mt. Sarah Jane possible to do in a day as well?
Thanks,
Marco

Myself in a party of three walked into Lake Judd recently after a couple of days of rain. We stayed overnight and carried packs in. The Track in to lake judd took us 6 hours, with a few brief drink and photo stops. Appreciate the board walks because once you've left those things get interesting. The track in sections is very overgrown and leads to a lot of pack snagging and the odd stick in the face. This continues on and off for the remainder of the track to the lake. The track was also extremely muddy with many sections reaching waste depth, some sections which we tried to avoid, but unfortunately some we didn't. The Anne river crossing was simple enough and only at knee depth. At this crossing, and the other smaller fords, it should also be noted that care must be taken to find the main track out as it seems many have set off on the wrong path. (There are a couple of clearings for camping between the redtape creek car park and Anne River - for anyone doing the circuit from Mt Anne)

The camp at Lake Judd was pleasant and the water running in the creek out of lake judd was good drinking. On the return the walk took another 6 hours. The day was sunny and the track was already drying up. We again stopped briefly for drinks and photos in this time. Walking without packs after a few dry days would make this walk a whole lot quicker and suitable for a day walk. However, if you're like us and like to enjoy the walk and not just the destination, staying overnight would be a good choice.

Cheers
Attachments
100_3013.JPG
Lake judd from camp
the notsofits
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby gayet » Mon 21 Oct, 2013 10:43 am

This seemed the most suitable thread to raise from the depths:

Following the inspiring images on the favourite campsites thread, I have resurrected my plans o/night at Lake Judd. Anyone been in there recently? I'm interested in any improvements to track or mud etc. Just the general stuff.

It could be 4wks before I can arrange a free weekend (not working) or I might be able to get away around 9 - 10 Nov so I realise a lot can change in that time. And I will keep an eye on the forecasts.

Thanks

Gaye
gayet

Postby doogs » Mon 21 Oct, 2013 2:46 pm

I haven't been to Lake Judd for about 3 years but I did walk the circuit last December. The track is in reasonable condition as far as the plains, but it needs a bit of work done (overgrowth cleared and missing boards replaced). Across the buttongrass was boggy with no boards or formed track (not much fun). A bit boggy through the forest to Lake Judd but the moraine dam holding back the waters is natures engineering at it's best. Campsite is flat, dry and beside the outlet creek but had a few mozzies buzzing around. That's about all I can think of :)
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Pteropus » Mon 21 Oct, 2013 5:52 pm

My walk there was in late March. The first section of the track is mostly good, but there was some track work on the board walk, where they were replacing whole sections. Someone else might be able to say whether this is complete or not? As doogs described, there are no boards on the button grass sections near the river, and crossing the plain is very boggy. At least up to your waist boggy if you are not careful or unlucky, perhaps even deeper in some areas. Soon after crossing the river there is a little and easy scramble up onto the moraine dam, and a pretty walk through the rainforest. I was just using the Chapman book as a guide and found the route easily enough. There was, however, a European couple who I met the next day along the track on my way out, who had camped before the plain because they had not found the way across the plain to the river the previous afternoon (for which I was glad, since I would not have had the place to myself! :mrgreen: lol). I am not sure exactly how they could not find their way across, but perhaps the walking gods were on my side and not theirs this particular trip...but I don't think it would be normal for people to have troubles navigating here.
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australia

Postby gayet » Mon 21 Oct, 2013 6:12 pm

Thanks doogs and Pteropus. I hold you responsible for this Pteropus, but don't feel bad about it! :)

I would prefer to avoid the thigh deep mud and hope I get nowhere near waist deep. Some large sheets of thick polystyrene would help - they worked well on mud ponds, but unlikely to survive the trip in....

I have Chapman's notes so hopefully I will find a way across it. Still a fair way off though, just hope I can get ahead of the work load for the weekend in question.

More information welcome!

Thanks

Gaye
gayet

Postby Pteropus » Mon 21 Oct, 2013 7:40 pm

gayet wrote:Thanks doogs and Pteropus. I hold you responsible for this Pteropus, but don't feel bad about it! :)

Haha no worries :) By the way, I just clicked on your link of your amazing flower photos! Very nice!
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australia

Postby gayet » Mon 21 Oct, 2013 7:57 pm

Thank you. Further down you may find some that aren't floral (some walking anyway)
gayet

Postby skog » Fri 19 Dec, 2014 8:26 pm

What is the track to lake Judd like? Has anyone been there recently?

I am planing on staying overnight there between Christmas and NYE.

Steve
When I think of something good to put here, I will................
skog
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby north-north-west » Sat 20 Dec, 2014 6:50 am

Well, it's not called the Lake Mudd track for nothing . . .
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby skog » Sat 20 Dec, 2014 6:31 pm

Is the mud along the length of the track or just close to the river crossing?
When I think of something good to put here, I will................
skog
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby icefest » Sat 20 Dec, 2014 7:31 pm

All that is in buttongrass is awful mud. Even worse with recent rain. I was there a week ago.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby gayet » Sun 21 Dec, 2014 9:51 am

I didn't make it in 2013, tried in Jan 2014 and hit the heatwave of 38+ so pulled out when I reached the top of the rise before descending to the button grass. Decided there would be too many people already there and I was knackered anyway.

Might make another attempt late January 2015 now. Hopefully without excess mud or heat. It may have dried out a bit by then.
gayet

Postby Tassie tyger » Sat 10 Jan, 2015 9:40 pm

Anyone survive walking in during the festive stormy break? How was the mud? And from what I hear it's hard to find the route on the other side of the Anne river, any tips?
Tassie tyger
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby newdegate87 » Sun 30 Apr, 2017 4:34 pm

Re Lake Judd walk,

went there a couple of weeks back. It took us ( 2x50-somethings) about 7.5 hours including about 45mins total in breaks. I noticed that sbs commented on the track getting quite braided in the part before you cross the Anne River. This is still the case and on our return journey we did go off on a side-track by mistake. When we re-traced our steps and re-joined the correct path we noticed that there had been a couple of pieces of tape tied to a shrub at this tricky point. We forgot to put some sticks (in a cross) across the incorrect side-track. Mud is knee deep in parts as you get closer to the Anne river. We met a party who had come from Lonely tarn and the leader had been in mud up to her waist on the track past the Lake Judd turn-off.
newdegate87
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby issyg » Sun 30 Apr, 2017 10:43 pm

newdegate87 wrote:We met a party who had come from Lonely tarn and the leader had been in mud up to her waist on the track past the Lake Judd turn-off.

This may have been me! A couple of weeks ago I walked in with a group to climb Sarah Jane and camp at Lonely Tarns, returning the same way the next day. We didn't go in to Lake Judd, but I think all of us were in up to our waist at some point, even before we got to the Anne River, and a fair bit of it was thigh deep. Not long after we passed you (assuming you were the two women on a day walk?) I fell in up to my armpits! At least I got bragging rights of "deepest mud dive" :lol:
issyg
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: UTAS Bushwalking Club

Postby photodarren » Mon 20 Nov, 2017 3:21 pm

My flatmate and I are going in December.
I was hoping someone had a recent report of the area.

We are not experienced with the area and were thinking of doing a multi day walk from the road to Lake Judd for day 1.
Day 2 up to the Tarnes camp spot.
Day 3 around to Eve Peak
Day 4 to Mount Anne for a look then back High Camp.

We are not superbly fit, are we being ambitious for December 2017?
My topo map shows a steep bit at the start of day 2.
Then a particularly steep bit for day 3.

Is The Notch something we can walk with packs, or do we need a rope.

Sorry for the long reply which is now almost its own thread. This is my first time posting to a forum.
photodarren
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby norts » Mon 20 Nov, 2017 4:04 pm

I usually do the circuit in the reverse to your itinerary and only for one reason, pushing up through the scrub to the base of Mt Sarah Jane , there is a track but it is overgrown. Going in the opposite direction you you still have a big climb but it is very open so there is no scrub holding you back.
I would definitely take a rope, it can be done without but it will makes life alot easier if you have the option to pack haul.

Norts
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tortoise » Mon 20 Nov, 2017 5:18 pm

Here are some photos of the Notch - we're looking at the south side, with Sarah Jane behind. That's the cliff you have to get up or down. ( The north side is just a very steep track, so no particular problems with that.)

DSC00425.jpg

Here's our fearless leader heading over the edge first.
Version 2.jpg

And here's one from doing the circuit in a clockwise direction - another (tall) mountain leaper heading up with the rope for pack hauling.
DSCN4265.jpg
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Sun 26 Nov, 2017 1:14 pm

There will still be plenty of mud on the Anne Plains, but the ground down there is the driest I've ever seen it, despite the fairly high water level in the impoundment. Can't swear to it, but it looks as though there may have been some track work and possibly new duckboarding east of the bridge.

ps: it is possible to detour around the Notch, but the ground is broken and rather loose (as well as being pretty steep), so don't try this if you aren't confident with that sort of terrain.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Return to Tasmania