Mount Montague loop walk [Map & Photos]

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mount Montague loop walk [Map & Photos]

Postby ben.h » Tue 29 Jan, 2008 8:36 pm

Full day loop walk from Betts Road, Neika.
Map, photos, (rough) gpx, elevation profile etc. available here:
http://www.sharemyroutes.com/routes/Aus ... tails.aspx

edit: Allow 7 - 8 hours to complete.
Last edited by ben.h on Sat 02 Feb, 2008 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
ben.h
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Mount Montague Loop walk

Postby walkinTas » Tue 29 Jan, 2008 8:44 pm

Nice site ben, well done. Is it your site?
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby ben.h » Tue 29 Jan, 2008 9:02 pm

walkinTas wrote:Nice site ben, well done. Is it your site?

I plotted the Mt Montague walk but the site isn't mine :) I found it about a year ago when researching a very similar idea for a site (I'm a software engineer).

It is an awesome site with hundreds of features that aren't apparent until you dig deeper like exporting various gps/mapping formats for upload to devices, auto export of EXIF camera data for each photo you upload (and will also plot them automatically on your map for you if they contain lat/long info), auto plot maps from gps logs, etc.
ben.h
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tasadam » Tue 29 Jan, 2008 9:30 pm

Ah Yes. Mount Montague. I remember it...
My first walk in Tasmania was a day walk of about 25 km to season in my brand new Scarpa's in preparation for a Frenchmans circuit - from the Glenorchy tip (or close to), to the Longley tavern. Up over the back of Mt Wellington, over Mt Montague and Cathedral Rock, down and out to a road and on to the pub to ring my mates wife to come and get us. Wait in pub til vehicle arrives. Complete circuit by being driven back...

I remember bashing way towards Cathedral rock, then looking back to see the cliffs that we could just as easily have gone over had we come out there...
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac
Region: Tasmania

Postby ben.h » Tue 29 Jan, 2008 9:37 pm

tasadam wrote:Ah Yes. Mount Montague. I remember it...
My first walk in Tasmania was a day walk of about 25 km to season in my brand new Scarpa's in preparation for a Frenchmans circuit - from the Glenorchy tip (or close to), to the Longley tavern. Up over the back of Mt Wellington, over Mt Montague and Cathedral Rock, down and out to a road and on to the pub to ring my mates wife to come and get us. Wait in pub til vehicle arrives. Complete circuit by being driven back...

I remember bashing way towards Cathedral rock, then looking back to see the cliffs that we could just as easily have gone over had we come out there...

Ah, Longley pub ... the best roast rolls available anywhere (when there's a band on) ;)
ben.h
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Tasmania