Pine Tier Lagoon Rd to Johnsons Lagoon - info?

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Pine Tier Lagoon Rd to Johnsons Lagoon - info?

Postby ollster » Wed 08 Sep, 2010 4:20 pm

Hi all,

Looking for some info on access routes out to Johnsons Lagoon/Layatinna Hill area via Pine Tier Lagoon Rd and Gowan Brae Rd.

Anyone been out there, or know about access? What's the track like? 4wd only/gates/bridges/river crossings etc?

We're looking to start there as a way onto the Traveller's Range, doing an anti clockwise loop of Layatinna Hill to Oana to Mountains of Jupiter to Spurling and down to Ida and back to the plateau and out along Traveller's Rest lake and back to Lyell Highway. Looking at 4 days. A couple of us have done the Travellers before, so I know what to expect as far as terrain goes.

Thanks! Oll.
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Re: Pine Tier Lagoon Rd to Johnsons Lagoon - info?

Postby abowen » Wed 08 Sep, 2010 4:58 pm

Hi Ollster,
Been into Johnsons Lagoon and Olive Lagoon a couple of times and across to Lake Malbena and Lake Ina. Nice easy walking and nice open leads through the forested areas.
There are many old 4wd tracks to follow through this area to start off and you need to be mindful of keeping on the right ones. I have unintentionally followed a 4wd track to the top of the eastern ridge overlooking Johnsons Lagoon when we were meant to be lower down near Pine River heading towards Olive Lagoon - easy to do when there are multiple tracks to choose from.
I generally park near the wooden bridge which crosses the Nive River at the end of Gowan Brae Rd. I haven't a map nearby but could give you a grid reference for this if interested. You are on private land in this area, but if you park off the road and be courteous you should be ok. There are no locked or shut gates to speak off. From the bridge it is a fairly boring trudge of 2 to 3 hours on a 4wd road to get to Johnsons Lagoon. It is possible to drive over the bridge and further in, but it is definately 4wd country. A lot of trout fishers use this road to access higher lakes like Olive, Naomi, Malbena and so on.
In the winter and spring - after heavy rains - the lakes, lagoons and tarns can get it can get pretty slushy. They fill and spill fairly readily and the draining rivers, creeks are difficult to cross - too much water and too fast running for my liking.
Be prepared for snow as well. Had 30cm dumped on us one night in late October - pretty speccy but curtailed any ambitions of going any further.
Cheers
Andrew
Recent Walks:
Mt Gell
abowen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby ollster » Wed 08 Sep, 2010 5:19 pm

Hi Andrew,

Thanks, that's brilliant. Reckon we can probably find our way through there then! As far as the private land goes, I'm guessing we don't need to ask permission, just respect the place and all will be ok (not that we'd do anything differently)?

This'll be Hobart Show Day long weekend, so a little while off, but we expect the unexpected anyway. :D

Cheers, Oll.
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby flyfisher » Wed 08 Sep, 2010 9:11 pm

Hi ollster, Years back I used to spend a lot of time out that way, going to l. Naomi and others.
Given reasonable weather you should have a great trip. The country is reasonably open with many clear leads.
As Andrew said there is a 4wd track to near Johnsons lag. but the right one heads a bit right across a flat instead of uphill, and soon goes through a gateway at the back end of Gowan brae .It continues up the left side of the Little river and Olive lagoon to the far end where a lead heads west uphill and a faint track may still be found which leads to Mary tarn.
Much of this area was fenced years ago and remnants can still be found.
I haven't been past Lake Malbena so cant help there but you shouldn't have much trouble picking up an exit track which is less than half an hours walk from Travellers Rest lagoon. and is a hundred metres or so from the river. Beautiful area.
John
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby abowen » Thu 09 Sep, 2010 8:37 am

Hi Ollster,
The grid reference for the bridge that crosses the Nive is Tasmap INA 1:25,000, 513470. Just back from this you will notice a track that branches west. This is where we usually 'abandon' cars.
As John has noted, it is the Little River that you follow much of the way, but you don't see it until you reach a bend in the river. I seem to recall that there is an old fence line with a gate opening near there and if you get to this point you have gone too far. The Johnsons Lagoon track goes north west up the hill before this point. Once you get up a bit on this ridge you will see the line of the river to the east.
Lake Tiddler, Malbena and Mary Tarn are all favourites - there is a photo in one of Leaman's books taken very close to Mary Tarn - well worth a visit, but probably off your line if you are taking a more westerly path. There is a hut on Halls Island at lake Malbena which I have yet to visit. I need to carry in a lilo or small inflatable or wait until summer and swim the 50 metre crossing. The hut is mentioned in one of Greg French's books about flyfishing.
Cheers
Andrew
Recent Walks:
Mt Gell
abowen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ollster » Thu 09 Sep, 2010 9:13 am

flyfisher wrote:I haven't been past Lake Malbena so cant help there but you shouldn't have much trouble picking up an exit track which is less than half an hours walk from Travellers Rest lagoon. and is a hundred metres or so from the river. Beautiful area.
John

Excellent, thanks for the info. Yes, last time we were up that way we entered using that track, it's very useful!
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ollster » Thu 09 Sep, 2010 9:16 am

abowen wrote:There is a hut on Halls Island at lake Malbena which I have yet to visit. I need to carry in a lilo or small inflatable or wait until summer and swim the 50 metre crossing. The hut is mentioned in one of Greg French's books about flyfishing.
Cheers
Andrew

Thanks for the GR. We're heading up there for primarily peakbagging duties, and may not have time to divert (at least not on day 1/2)... but this does sound VERY interesting! What a novel place for a hut. (Anyone have pics?)
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Thu 09 Sep, 2010 5:59 pm

Are the gates marked on the map always open do we know????
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby flyfisher » Thu 09 Sep, 2010 7:19 pm

I have been going out that way for probably 30 years or more and haven't seen a locked gate yet.Doesn't mean it can't happen though.
Been out to Ina by 4wd 3 times last summer and on the last trip a barrier was closed on that track just before a logging road which now crosses the track. Luckily an alternative was found. :D
I haven't driven out the Naomi track for a few years but last time we did we went a little way up the hill towards Johnsons lagoon and left the vehicle (mazda van) there, an easy walk to Naomi. But I guess trucks etc in wet weather would have rutted the road somewhat.
There used to be a pump up boat in a box in the ground at Malbena. It was around 442268e 5355462n. When I found it there was a pile of sticks on it with the top two sticking up in a cross. All adds to the interest. I think the old one died and maybe a newer one there now. Also of interest were tyre marks(old) in the Lake Loretta Mary Tarn area, and an old fence.
I believe the materials for the hut were taken in by helicopter. I think the island is still under lease but not positive on that.
ff
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Thu 09 Sep, 2010 7:41 pm

Awesome.
Thanks FF.

Really quite interesting about the hut.....
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby abowen » Fri 10 Sep, 2010 8:24 am

Great info FF. I will definitely look out for the inflatable. Hope it comes with a pump!
I am also not sure about the lease. Suspect that if you did a search on LIST you might come up with something. I think it is now Crown Land and inside the boundary for the Central Plateau Conservation Area, but will check it out.
I understand that float planes use to go into some of these lakes - there is an old wreck at Naomi which is mentioned somewhere else on this site.
Cheers
Andrew
Recent Walks:
Mt Gell
abowen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby flyfisher » Fri 10 Sep, 2010 9:10 pm

Yes there is a wrecked Tasair floatplane near the n.e shore of Lake Naomi which was used by Dick Reed to access the hut that he had there.
This was before Harold Riley showed him the delights of Lake Meston and he shifted his focus to that area.
The wreck of the plane was accessed with a tractor and trailer and most parts of value were taken out.
I was at the lake in 1978 when a landcruiser was driven to the wreck (by persons unknown to me) and a wing was cut off and dragged back to the hut and set up on edge between two trees .
Sadly the hut was burnt down in the early 1980's so another one was lost.
Lake Naomi is a beautiful lake and deserves more attention than it gets. It is easily accessed by the Pine tier- Gowan Brae road with an old 4wd track running right to the sw shoreline.This track crosses the Little river at the outflow of Olive Lagoon, proceeds about halfway up the eastern side then crosses the hill north of Burburys lookout before dropping down to the lake. Well worth a weekend.
ff
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby abowen » Mon 13 Sep, 2010 8:21 am

Hi FF,
Halls Island is still shown as leased. Still I would like to visit one day. I have heard that the flora on the island is quite different to that surrounding the lake. Fires have modified the lake shore, but have not touched the flora on the sland. A remnant population from a time before.
Also must get to Naomi - on my last attempt we got snowed out and the outlet crossing below Olive Lagoon was high and swift. It would be a great weekend walk.
Cheers
Andrew
Recent Walks:
Mt Gell
abowen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby flyfisher » Mon 13 Sep, 2010 10:12 pm

G'day Andrew, yes it (Naomi) could be done as an easy weekend walk and it's a very pretty lake with some lovely open shoreline.

Last time I walked in there we had a 3 nighter in the 3rd week of Jan about 1992 and we got 2 full days of snow.My son was 10 at the time and that was his first overnighter. A fairly harsh intro, especially when you've only got a japara coat. :shock:

John
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby flyfisher » Thu 04 Sep, 2014 5:46 pm

Unfortunately the Olive lagoon track is now impassable at the Gowan Brae boundary fence.

A large yellow barrier is now blocking the road.

It's a pity as the track has been traditional access to Olive Lagoon and prior to 1984 to Lake Naomi as well.

Hope we dont see too much locked up.

Flyfisher
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Fri 05 Sep, 2014 4:38 pm

As long as I can still get to Layatinnah from the Gowan Brae Rd, I don't care. (Much)
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby flyfisher » Fri 05 Sep, 2014 7:08 pm

north-north-west wrote:As long as I can still get to Layatinnah from the Gowan Brae Rd, I don't care. (Much)

It will add about 10k road/track bash compared to where you could drive to previously. (4wd)

There may be some access available in the future after the ALC have done their management plan. Hope so because there were some nice o/n destinations out there.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Fri 05 Sep, 2014 8:51 pm

flyfisher wrote:
north-north-west wrote:As long as I can still get to Layatinnah from the Gowan Brae Rd, I don't care. (Much)

It will add about 10k road/track bash compared to where you could drive to previously. (4wd)

Oh whooppeee! Might have to start rechecking the maps - this was going to be my Xmas/New Year ramble.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby gtc » Sun 24 May, 2015 9:38 pm

I haven't been out that way before but keen to check it out, and was just curious whether it might be possible to mountain bike in a good chunk of the way from the yellow barrier? Could be a quicker way to do the 10k road/track bash that used to be able to be driven?
gtc
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Rick » Sat 27 Jun, 2015 9:04 pm

Gowan Brae has been re named trawtha makuminya and is now owned and managed by the Aboriginal Land Council of Tasmania.

Anglers Alliance are in discussion with the ALCT in regard to accessing the WHA via the property but it has been sometime since I have seen an update on their site.

I hope something can be worked out because Lake Naomi is beautiful.
Rick
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby flyfisher » Sat 27 Jun, 2015 9:21 pm

Couldn't agree more Rick,

Fished Naomi quite a lot from about 1986 till the track got closed in 1984 and at infrequent intervals after that. It's such a pity that access has to be such an issue.

For people that liked a bit of 4w driving and a weekend or a few days out there, it was one of the great trips, as was lake Ina.

Both had good tracks, but a bit chalenging , but I have never been bogged on either. My wife and kids used to love Naomi too. Pity.

FF
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Richard W » Thu 20 Aug, 2015 10:03 pm

Every time I ring up the ALCT and ask for permission to walk out there they say no problem, easy.

You do have to walk though, and it is an extra 10km along a fairly uninspiring forestry road.
Richard W
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Rick » Sun 06 Sep, 2015 5:58 pm

Nice to know. Cheers
Rick
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby flyfisher » Sun 06 Sep, 2015 7:08 pm

flyfisher wrote:Couldn't agree more Rick,

Fished Naomi quite a lot from about1976 till the track got closed in 1984 and at infrequent intervals after that. It's such a pity that access has to be such an issue.

For people that liked a bit of 4w driving and a weekend or a few days out there, it was one of the great trips, as was lake Ina.

Both had good tracks, but a bit chalenging , but I have never been bogged on either. My wife and kids used to love Naomi too. Pity.

FF
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tortoise » Tue 20 Sep, 2016 7:22 pm

Has anybody been in this way lately? I'm toying with a visit to Mt Oana and Layatinna Hill. Ta muchly for any info.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby owyagoinm8 » Sat 15 Oct, 2016 1:02 pm

@ Tortoise
I'm planning on going up to malbena/halls island hut in the next few weeks, I'll post again if there's anything worthy to post.
owyagoinm8
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Tortoise » Sat 15 Oct, 2016 5:08 pm

owyagoinm8 wrote:@ Tortoise
I'm planning on going up to malbena/halls island hut in the next few weeks, I'll post again if there's anything worthy to post.

Much obliged, owyagoin. Thanks.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby owyagoinm8 » Sun 27 Nov, 2016 8:41 am

@Tortoise: A few weeks turned into a couple of months :roll: I'm heading up there today and will be back tomorrow.

Edit-
I was a bit dubious about seeing so many 'private property keep out' signs but I went on anyway til I got to the first bridge crossing of the Nive river. There was a pretty serious looking gate crossing the road, so I turned around there. Seems like the private property owners really don't want people up there.

On a side note, there were laminated temporary signs that said GPTT, and from a quick word with the general store manager in Bronte Park, he mentioned the private property being owned by something like the aboriginal traditional land owners, and we passed a guy who had a flat tyre saying he was going up there to meet them in a concrete bunker (he wasn't a local) so that gives me the idea that they might do workshops etc. up there.
Last edited by owyagoinm8 on Mon 28 Nov, 2016 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
owyagoinm8
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby flyfisher » Mon 28 Nov, 2016 8:45 am

I heard that a fishing guide has an application submitted to build a lodge on Halls island and fly people in to Lake Malbena. If it happens we lose more of our wilderness.

FF
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby owyagoinm8 » Tue 29 Nov, 2016 12:33 pm

Flyfisher- I heard about that too, from a teacher of mine. If we want to experience it how it is, we'd better get in there now. I'd be interested in finding out who owns the property with those roads leading in to it, then asking for permission.
owyagoinm8
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Next

Return to Tasmania