Styx Valley

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Styx Valley

Postby johnw » Tue 26 Feb, 2008 12:30 pm

Hi All,
Can anyone offer any information on the walks in the Styx Valley? Aiming to visit there when in Tasmania in May. Haven't been there (although son and I have done the big trees track at Mt Field on a previous trip). Found some info and a sketch map on the Wilderness Society web site:

http://www.wilderness.org.au/campaigns/forests/tasmania/styx/styx_walking_guide

It looks essentially like a forest drive interspersed with a series of short (easy?) walks. The map has no scale so I can't get a good perception of the distances involved, although the notes do specify some driving distances. Is it possible to do all of the walks they describe in a single day? Are most of the tracks easy enough for a reluctant non-bushwalker (my wife)?

Also would it be wise to take 1:25,000 map/s (which one/s)? I already own the 4 Tasmap 1:250,000 series if they would do the job.

Any info appreciated.

Regards,
JohnW
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Styx Valley

Postby scrub boy » Thu 28 Feb, 2008 7:43 am

I recently went to the Styx Valley to climb Mt Snowy North. the key which we obtained from Forestry Tas did not open the gate we required, and here is the problem. The main access through the valley is on Styx Road, which as far as I know is always open, however nearly every spur road has a locked gate, including it seems most of the roads needed to access the Wilderness Society's walking suggestions (based on a 2006 pamphlet I picked up). There is a lot of activist activity in this area, hence the locked gates, and FT could not be certain that the key they gave us ($100 deposit) would be the right one as the locks are often damaged or changed around. We ended up climbing Mt Styx. This is a fantastic walk with extensive and unusual views. Use the Maydena and Skeleton 1:25 000 maps to find Jacques Road but be warned this also has a gate which on this particular day was open so we took our chances. At the prominent T junction near the trans line go left and stay uphill but ignore the spur road to Hill 942. Park next to the burnt coupe before the large quarry and walk along the road which becomes a scratchy 4WD track. Just past the two large dead logs is good taped and cairned track which is easy to follow. It ascends directly up Mt Styx, allow about one hour to the summit (large historic cairn on top) and take water. This walk was described in the Mercury last year I think so it may be available online or on request. The Styx River is really nice and a bush bash along its banks might be worth while for a quiet spot (but be aware the bridge is in the process of being replaced). I would check the access status of this area with FT and the Wilderness Society before heading off.
scrub boy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Postby johnw » Thu 28 Feb, 2008 3:07 pm

That's excellent and very helpful information scrub boy. :D Thank's very much for posting it. I will get in touch with both TWS and FT closer to our trip and see what gives.

I think I found the Mercury article that you refer to but I'll refrain from posting the link here as it also describes an off track route to Mt Mueller (I don't know if that's a sensitive area).

Kind regards,
johnw
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby PeterJ » Thu 28 Feb, 2008 7:37 pm

johnw wrote:....I think I found the Mercury article that you refer to but I'll refrain from posting the link here as it also describes an off track route to Mt Mueller (I don't know if that's a sensitive area).

Kind regards,
johnw

If the walk leaves from Mueller Rd then it is the regular way up. The area is not particularly sensitive, especially given the low usage. it gets.
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Joe » Thu 28 Feb, 2008 9:06 pm

also...if it was in the mercury...with its readership...i doubt a forum with just over 200 members will make much difference :P
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Postby johnw » Fri 29 Feb, 2008 8:21 am

taswaterfalls.com wrote:also...if it was in the mercury...with its readership...i doubt a forum with just over 200 members will make much difference :P

Yep, that occured to me...just wanted to keep within the rules. :wink:

PeterJ wrote:If the walk leaves from Mueller Rd then it is the regular way up. The area is not particularly sensitive, especially given the low usage. it gets.

OK, the walk does appear to leave from Mueller Rd (AKA Barretts Rd by the look of things), so here is the link:

http://www.news.com.au/mercury/story/0, ... 44,00.html

Kind regards,
JohnW
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 29 Feb, 2008 8:31 am

I have no problems with posting links like this. I'm all for sharing information.

The rule against posting sensitive area information is partly to avoid the areas becoming overrun, but also for political correctness (as much as I generally despise political correctness for the sake of it). Ie, to avoid upsetting people who don't like this stuff being posted. If it's already out there on other sites, please exercise your own judgement about the sensitivity of the area, and whether you think it's a good idea to encourage others to visit the area or not.

If I got a lot of complaints about any such links, I may consider removing them, but for now, they should be OK.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby PeterJ » Mon 03 Mar, 2008 9:48 pm

It was interesting to read from the link that the forestry roads to both Styx and Mueller have locked barriers (or they did in 2006 when the article was written anyway). A friend is planning to go to Mueller in a couple of weeks time so i will find out if it is still locked
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Tasmania