Tas Traverse

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Tas Traverse

Postby Namib1 » Tue 21 Sep, 2010 12:01 pm

Hi All - if you'd like to follow Nick D's north - south Tasmanian Traverse go to http://www.tasmanianexpeditions.com.au
the page dedicated to his expedition will be updated periodically and when in contact with Nick D.
Cheers
Namib1
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Tas Traverse

Postby Phil » Tue 21 Sep, 2010 2:04 pm

I had a chat to him a couple of weeks ago in the Launceston Mountain Designs store regarding this trip; 54 days or so in total; he was obviously very excited to get going!! (and I was very jealous!!!)
Phil
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 21 Sep, 2010 3:44 pm

Namib1 wrote:Hi All - if you'd like to follow Nick D's north - south Tasmanian Traverse go to http://www.tasmanianexpeditions.com.au
the page dedicated to his expedition will be updated periodically and when in contact with Nick D.
Cheers

Does the page exist yet? I couldn't see it there. If so, please provide the link directly to it.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Phil » Tue 21 Sep, 2010 3:54 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:Does the page exist yet? I couldn't see it there. If so, please provide the link directly to it.

This one I reckon Nik; 'day 1' blog is at the bottom:

http://www.tasmanianexpeditions.com.au/index.php?section=adventure_news&id=268400
Phil

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 21 Sep, 2010 3:59 pm

Thanks Phil. One day I'll learn how to drive a web browser. If I'd just done a browser search for "Nick" I would have found it. Doh!
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby ollster » Tue 21 Sep, 2010 4:02 pm

Sigh... 54 days... (checks current leave balance) ... sigh.
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby stu » Wed 17 Nov, 2010 3:02 pm

Well done to Nick & Liz on their successful traverse - looking forward to a trip report & some photos guys;
(even tho i've already seen the photos on facebook, i'm sure everyone else on BWT will be equally as interested in this epic adventure).
2 days short of the projected 54 days too, you must have been moving :lol:
Hope civilisation isn't too disgusting for you both after an enviable time in our beautiful wilds.
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby NickD » Sun 21 Nov, 2010 12:36 pm

Cheers Stu
Sorry I haven't gotten round to posting up a report - its been quite hard to gain a retrospective of the trip at this stage - I guess I feel at this stage very much still out there!! After 6 days in civilization I found myself not enjoying the readjusting so I returned back to the wild for 4 days - out to the Walls & Cathedral Plateau!! I've now got another 6 days in town before the Port Davey Track.

I'll get round in the next couple of days to a decent sized trip report, but I don't think I'll upload photos. My internet is simply too slow, I'll see if I can make it so people can view them on facebook & I'll post a direct link!

oh and the trip was always going to be 52 days - i don't know where 54 came from! there was no way I wanted to come home early, if we were ahead of schedule, I'd have simply taken two days rest on the South Coast!! :lol:
NickD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Liamy77 » Sun 21 Nov, 2010 3:55 pm

ollster wrote:Sigh... 54 days... (checks current leave balance) ... sigh.

:mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
like he said...

lucky folks! look forward to hearin more, thanks.
Taggunnah
GRAVITY... IS A HARSH MISTRESS!
knowledge's lighter than gadgets..but gadgets can be fun!
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Location: Southern Channel, Tas.... but sometimes i leave n walk around elsewhere!
ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Woodbridge Organics

Postby wayno1007 » Mon 07 Feb, 2011 9:59 am

Thanks Guys,
Actually caught up with Nick out there yesterday and had a chat about his route.
I was considering doing it in bits when time permits and have done many (including the hard) sections already. The guy who I had heard of and still not sure of his route was Mad Phil, a caver I met and did some caving with about 10 years ago. He moved back to the UK. I will have to track him down.
The route I have considered involved traversing the POWs, Frankland-Wilm Ranges, P Davey, S Coast tk from the Penguin-Cradle, Cradle-Rufus etc. So great to hear of other routes and looking at them on my Memory Maps.
wayno1007
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Erica » Tue 22 Feb, 2011 6:33 am

Mad Phil has done it? I might be able to get you into contact with him if you'd like me to try, he's involved with the caving club I was part of when I was living in the UK last year.
Erica
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Liamy77 » Wed 23 Feb, 2011 12:59 pm

Hi wayno1007... you might be interested in this review of the Holuxs' capabilities with the Memory map application.... good little unit... VERY good with memory map in it.... :)
Taggunnah
GRAVITY... IS A HARSH MISTRESS!
knowledge's lighter than gadgets..but gadgets can be fun!
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Location: Southern Channel, Tas.... but sometimes i leave n walk around elsewhere!
ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Woodbridge Organics

Postby geoskid » Sun 23 Jul, 2017 3:58 pm

NickD wrote:Cheers Stu
Sorry I haven't gotten round to posting up a report - its been quite hard to gain a retrospective of the trip at this stage - I guess I feel at this stage very much still out there!! After 6 days in civilization I found myself not enjoying the readjusting so I returned back to the wild for 4 days - out to the Walls & Cathedral Plateau!! I've now got another 6 days in town before the Port Davey Track.

I'll get round in the next couple of days to a decent sized trip report, but I don't think I'll upload photos. My internet is simply too slow, I'll see if I can make it so people can view them on facebook & I'll post a direct link!

oh and the trip was always going to be 52 days - i don't know where 54 came from! there was no way I wanted to come home early, if we were ahead of schedule, I'd have simply taken two days rest on the South Coast!! :lol:

G'day Nick,

Did you get around to writing up a report on this trip anywhere?

I have been considering and researching a trip like this for a while, and came across a post of yours regarding your probable route in the thread below :-
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4522&p=53469#p53469
I did a search to find out if you actually ended up doing the walk, and was stoked to find you did!
The route I am thinking of is the same as yours. Whilst I think I will be fine with the planning of the physical aspects, and walking the off track sections between KW , Denisons, Stepped Hills, etc, I am looking for insights into what might be beneficial with regards to mental preparation - for whilst walking and after the walk. I will be going solo.

If anyone else can offer any advice, please do.
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid

Return to Tasmania