Sentinel Range

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Sentinel Range

Postby Mickeymoo » Thu 06 Mar, 2008 5:32 pm

Gday all, I am looking at spending a few days at the Sentinel Range and The Coronets, does anyone know if the Pedder Track still exists? as the maps I have are fairly old, and is there any suitable places near or on the ranges to camp that anyone may know of?

Thank you.

Michael.
Mickeymoo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Sentinel Range

Postby PeterJ » Thu 06 Mar, 2008 8:12 pm

Camping in the area is not great, but you can probably stay overnight at the Wedge River picnic ground under the Sentinel Range. The walking track starts there too and takes you to the top of the range, you can walk along the top and descend on the obvious ridge at the western end that comes near the old Pedder track. The last time I went to The Coronets the track was getting pretty overgrown, but I imagine should still be followable.
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mickeymoo » Thu 06 Mar, 2008 8:25 pm

Thanks for that Peter, I was sceptical about camping between the ranges as it didn't look too good on the maps.
Mickeymoo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stu » Wed 25 Jun, 2008 3:59 pm

I tried to get to The Coronets twice via the Pedder track last year (officially closed for regeneration). It was pretty / very overgrown, followable, but you'd want to be careful. The first time I had to 'burrow' sections of the track it was so thick with cutting grass & bauera & ended up getting lost in the thick stuff off the track for a good hour - not a fun experience. I made it down the backside but turned around due to increasingly heavy scrub. The second time, with a mate in tow we made it up onto the far northern part of The Coronets range with a fair amount of scrub bashing again, we turned back from here as it was going to take alot more time to the summit than expected. I've heard up & over the Sentinel Range from the Wedge carpark is the way to go to the Coronets, I'm sure there is still some heionious scrub but a shorter option; will try that option again later in the year. Another option would be boating / kayaking in from Pedder, then just up the open leads from the lake shore to the summit. As a side note, on my first attempt at The Coronets, whilst 'burrowing' my car keys came out of my pack; I didn't even know until I came across them crawling on the way out - suprise / relief would be an understatement. I also lost my sunglasses the first time only to tread on & break them the second attempt. This walk is my nemesis.
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby PeterJ » Wed 25 Jun, 2008 8:02 pm

stubowling wrote: ......I've heard up & over the Sentinel Range from the Wedge carpark is the way to go to the Coronets....

Some years back some friends went over the Sentinels to the Coronets and at the time it sounded like the best way. Since then the old route through the valley lower down could only have thickened with scrub, so the high route is probably the only viable option now
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mickeymoo » Thu 26 Jun, 2008 1:09 pm

Thanks for the info, I still haven't managed to go there yet but I'm still wanting to sometime soon.

Michael.
Mickeymoo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby whynotwalk » Thu 26 Jun, 2008 2:04 pm

Hi Michael - as a day trip the Sentinels are a bit of fun. Very steep, but quite easy to access via the picnic area. Once you're up it's narrow and scrambly, a little like a miniature Lightning Ridge on the Anne Range. Views are spectacular in clear weather - it's worth picking your day.

I didn't go beyond, so can't help there.

cheers

Peter
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tasadam » Thu 26 Jun, 2008 2:05 pm

stubowling wrote:whilst 'burrowing' my car keys came out of my pack; I didn't even know until I came across them crawling on the way out - suprise / relief would be an understatement.

GASP! :shock:
I was once in the practice of hiding my keys somewhere within 100 metres or so of the vehicle and knowing all members of the party knew where they were. Not any more.
Stories like that make me want to rethink.

Sure sounds like tough going. Isn't scrub bashing fun! Pushing your way through all manner of vegetation, not knowing where you are or for how long you will be in the scrub, just following a general compass direction. Great.......
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby stu » Mon 13 Oct, 2008 7:16 am

Finally got over to The Coronets via the Sentinel Range on Saturday. It was a tough day with its fair share of thick south west scrub & dense forest. It took us 9+ hours, at pace - up and over the Sentinels (descending into forest from just below the summit), bashing through a horrendous scrub belt near the valley floor (tea tree, banksia, cutting grass - all held together by bauera & very tiring), traversing the Coronets ridge line from the north eastern end (a difficult & in sections tenuous / dangerous scramble on rock & scrub - maybe not the recommended route) to the summit. The return we headed straight down & across the valley & up to an obvious saddle on the Sentinels via a very dense & tiring forest route. Then descended to the road via a few more scrubby sections. Up there with one of my hardest day walks & probably not recommended to those without a penchant for pain (physical & mental). We were just glad to get back to the car before night fall. The Sentinels however are a great little day walk tho & highly recommended to all.
Stu.
Attachments
clip_image002.jpg
The Coronets from just below the summit of the Sentinel Range.
clip_image002.jpg (19.06 KiB) Viewed 20485 times
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ollster » Mon 13 Oct, 2008 10:39 am

LOL @ Stu Bowling. Almost ran into you again! Azza and I and a few mates were up Mt Wedge on Sat arvo admiring the Sentinels thinking what a cool trip it would be...
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby stu » Mon 13 Oct, 2008 10:54 am

it is uncanny ollester, we were probably staring at each other from respective summits :D - Wedge is a great walk, tho when we did it it was zero visibility & howling winds on the top - hope you had a civilised lunch on the heli pad? We hunkered down in the doorway of the building, ate some lollies & ran back down into the forest when we were there, I should go back when I get a chance. We had chilly south west winds on the summit of the Coronets, but got baked as soon as we were sheltered from the wind. I'd be surprised to see anyone on some of our recent, obscure missions.
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mickeymoo » Mon 13 Oct, 2008 12:13 pm

Sounds like a tough but fun trip, maybe the kayaks are the go for easier access :D
Mickeymoo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stu » Tue 14 Oct, 2008 7:17 am

Hey Michael - those 'open' leads that I thought would be on the Pedder side of the range were pretty non-existent from what I could see from the summit; heavy forest & scrub seemed to cloak this side of the range down to its base (& confirmed by google earth). It would be shorter than our route but still steep & heavily vegetated to the top from the lake. Doesn't seem to be any real 'easy' access to this one, guarded on most all sides. Any which way you'd be looking at a long day from any access point. A base camp on the lake below the range probably still the easiest / shortest option. I'd hate to be carrying a full pack the way we came in / went out, it was frustrating enough with day packs on. Good luck if you decide to have a go! :?
Stuart.
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ollster » Tue 14 Oct, 2008 8:30 am

Yeah, that helipad on Wedge, eh? I reckon on a good 35deg summer's day you could fry an egg on the sucker.

Just so I feel like I'm making a contribution... pic of the Sentinel Range from near the top of Wedge last Sat.
Attachments
Sentinel Range.JPG
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby Mickeymoo » Tue 14 Oct, 2008 10:24 am

Thanks for the info Stuart looks like its gonna be a tough walk anyway you look at it! I'm considering a bit of a paddle round pedder at christmas time so I might have to put that one on the agenda. It certainly sounds like you definantly wouldn't want to be doing the walk with full packs from the sentinal range then.
Mickeymoo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Tue 14 Oct, 2008 11:59 am

Spooky.... We would probably be gone by then but spent the Fri night at the wedge river (Ollster- if not then we are in your photo somewhre also!) Had to be in Smithton that night so no climbing (was looking for kayak access/tracks from Lake Gordon/Pedder) but the Sentinals looked a treat through the clear night :D
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jntomlin » Fri 17 Oct, 2008 12:36 pm

Nice work stu

I did it in 1999, started at 9am and finished at 9pm. A ball tearer at the very least. On par for ball tearing day walks are the stepped hills over Mt Wright in a day. About 12 hrs with little scrub.

Josh
jntomlin
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby stu » Fri 17 Oct, 2008 3:18 pm

Cheers Josh, yep, Coronets up there with my hardest day walks for sure, scrub tends to sap the energy pretty quickly.

I have been to Mt. Wright with the intention of the Stepped Hills, but unfortunately almost killed a non-walking mate just getting to there so just explored that range (awesome arch feature at the Nothern end a must see - natural engineering wonder!). Good work on that one, I might go via Lake Gordon next time.

Probably my other three hardest day walks were Clear Hill & The Thumbs in a day (probably similar to Stepped Hills terrain wise) - about 9.5 hours, Jubilee Range in 6 hours at pace & definitely Mt. Bobs in a day at 11.5 hours (my favoutite day walk ever!). Not sure if that ones been tackled as a day walk before.

Do love the big day missions; Saturdays always best tho as you're not gonna move far on the Sunday :!:

Stu.
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby pazzar » Tue 11 May, 2010 2:27 pm

I am hoping to head out to the Sentinels and Coronets soon. It looks like the Coronets have been burnt out recently so it doesnt look too scrubby, but no doubt I will be proven wrong. I'd never been out that way until Saturday when I took my parents to Gordon Dam, but after seeing the Sentinels I have to climb it!
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Tue 11 May, 2010 6:03 pm

Enjoy the Coronets. The fire only went up the first hill about 500mtrs.
Me and a couple others did it only a few months ago, took 9.5hrs.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby pazzar » Tue 11 May, 2010 6:09 pm

How do you think it will be in winter though? Or is it best to leave this one until summer? I am planning to go for a 1-2 nighter in the middle of my exams in June.
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Tue 11 May, 2010 6:17 pm

Definately summer. Not very nice being in wet scrub for 9+ hrs.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby pazzar » Tue 11 May, 2010 6:20 pm

I thought that might be the case, maybe thats for semester 2 exams then. Might just head somewhere a little less remote, like Mt Field. I dont wan't a repeat of my last trip during exams :wink:
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Tue 11 May, 2010 6:25 pm

The Sentinals itself is a great walk anytime of year. Only takes 3 or so hrs. You'd get a good view of the route to the Coronets too.......
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby pazzar » Tue 11 May, 2010 6:28 pm

I might have to take a day trip out there soon then
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby naturelover » Mon 23 Nov, 2015 12:35 pm

It's probably a good thing I didn't read this lead before I signed up to tackle the Coronets. Perhaps I might have been turned off. The references to thick scrub are all too accurate. If thickness of scrub is to be measured by hideously slow km rates, and by the amount of debris my hair unleashes into the shower recess after a walk, then this is the worst scrub I have ever been in. I could not untangle my hair after this one, and in frustration cut half my plait off - a plait that has been growing since I met my husband at the age of 17. It is, of course, very beautiful, with amazing views over Lake Pedder and more.
You can read my report and see pictures in my blog http://natureloverswalks.blogspot.com.au if you wish
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Tasmania