Lake Ada to Silver Lake

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Lake Ada to Silver Lake

Postby shazcol » Fri 29 Oct, 2010 2:26 pm

Looking to do the walk into Silver Lake but I am not familiar with the conditions around this particular part of the highlands and I know many on this forum fish and walk through there.

What would the conditions be like at the moment?
How does one find out if the gate at Augusta is closed before going or is it seasonal?

Any other helpful advice on what to expect or better times to go?
Navigation looks pretty easy through there and should not be a problem?

Looks like I should take the fly rod if we go from some of the other posts.
If common sense is so common, why don't you see more of it?
shazcol
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Lake Ada to Silver Lake

Postby daznkez » Fri 29 Oct, 2010 3:16 pm

Hey there shazcol,
Lake Silver is a top spot.
Call parks at Liawanee for an update on conditions and road status
The walk out to Antimony hut is fairly cruisy (flat), with a light chance of getting bushwacked near the hut. If so, follow the creek towards Antimony and you should see the hut on the left
The hut is a bit pokey for sleeping, maybe bring a tent
Definitely bring the fly gear, and maybe a licence, as i have seen the fishery boys out there a bit this year
Note there is no 'track' to Lake Silver, just wander in that general direction
Have fun and put up a pic of all yer trout for the rest of us

Daznkez
daznkez
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby abowen » Fri 29 Oct, 2010 3:54 pm

From Antimony Hut to Lake Silver you need to cross a large creek. Be prepared for a wet crossing. I remember it being about knee to thigh deep when I crossed it last - but that could be due to picking the wrong spot. It was difficult to get to the water's edge.
Camping around the hut is good - not much of an outlook though. Next time I wander in, I will probably push further across to Lake Silver and camp on the lovely grass bank on the western side.
Great walk.
Cheers
Andrew
Recent Walks:
Mt Gell
abowen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby BarryJ » Fri 29 Oct, 2010 4:17 pm

Camping is definitely better around Silver. In early December 2009, both the crossing of the creek running into Antimony and then the Pine River were accomplished with relatively dry feet. As already mentioned, the track gets a little hard to follow as you near the Lake Antimony hut and from there to Silver is cross country.
BarryJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby norts » Fri 29 Oct, 2010 7:28 pm

Definitely find out which gates are closed before heading up there, We had to walk from lake Augusta and thats one of the most tedious walks I have done. That road is long straight and boring from Augusta to Ada.
DSCN2746a (Large).jpg
DSCN2746a (Large).jpg (71.02 KiB) Viewed 12275 times
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Fri 29 Oct, 2010 8:48 pm

Read in the local paper Fishing notes that the gate is open but would phone the Rangers Station to be sure.
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby BarryJ » Fri 29 Oct, 2010 8:57 pm

Gate is definitely open ATM and should remain that way unless we get a massive downpour which causes Augusta to overflow. However, a quick call to the Liawenee ranger station (6259 8148) is recommended.
BarryJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Drifting » Fri 29 Oct, 2010 10:59 pm

how much of that road is suitable for 2wd?
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby BarryJ » Sat 30 Oct, 2010 7:22 am

It isn't in great condition ATM (current pic ~20th Oct "borrowed" from FlyLife forum - don't think McFisto will mind) but provided you drive according to the road condition, you will have no problems reaching the car park at Lake Ada in a 2WD vehicle.

BTW, this is it's "normal" condition; it very rarely gets any maintenance. From memory, the last time it was maintained to any great extent was about 4-5 years ago just before the Mark Webber Challenge entourage ventured out that way. :?
BarryJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby shazcol » Sat 30 Oct, 2010 10:59 am

Thanks all for the various comments. I had seen the creek crossings in my planning but they looked like they would not be anything to worry about but maybe after all the rain forecast for this weekend they may be running a bit and the lakes may be fuller for a while. Could get those trout out onto the shallow edges maybe.

Last time I was in the area the gate was locked and the road had LOTS of potholes that sneak up on you. Maybe that is a good thing to possibly turn people off who are there for the wrong reasons if you know what I mean.

From BarryJ post's people have been in the area recently so hope we can get there soon, maybe next weekend if things go to plan.

If anybody is up their between now and next weekend a quick note on conditions could be useful.
If common sense is so common, why don't you see more of it?
shazcol
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby BarryJ » Sat 30 Oct, 2010 11:13 am

shazcol wrote:..................................
From BarryJ post's people have been in the area recently so hope we can get there soon, maybe next weekend if things go to plan.

Fishermen are out in the Nineteen Lagoons (the near Western Lakes) pretty much weekly (even daily) as soon as the fishing season opens in early August even though they need to walk past the gate. Vehicles are out there as soon as the gate opens in early October (usually); the gate can open and get closed again if Augusta is likely to spill as a result of rainfall.

4WD access is available for another 8km (?) beyond Lake Ada to just beyond Tallinah Lagoon if the boom gate at Lake Ada is open.
BarryJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby greyim » Mon 06 Mar, 2017 5:05 pm

I wonder if this rule is being relaxed a little in present circumstances anyone left vehicle at Talinah Lakes lately?
IMG_20170225_171857.jpg
greyim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby pazzar » Fri 10 Mar, 2017 2:42 pm

I've been in this area several times this summer. Plenty of cars left at the Talinah Lagoon car park. You would want good clearance to drive in there though, and it won't save you that much time anyway.

There is a log crossing on Powena Creek below Lake Antimony, and then the Pine River is shallow in summer. I crossed it with dry feet, but I have seen both creeks after heavy rain and they get quite deep.

As for the gates, the Lake Augusta gate should be open as of October 1 every year, depending on road conditions. The Inland Fisheries website has the most current info. The other tracks are usually locked until they are passable, which can vary from year to year.
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby greyim » Tue 14 Mar, 2017 11:50 am

Many thanks for that Pazzar. We decided to walk it and found that just fine. Indeed there are some large patches of rock.... cheers Graham
greyim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Tasmania