Mt Anne in May - are we crazy

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Anne in May - are we crazy

Postby geoffmallo » Thu 24 Apr, 2008 11:09 am

We're thinking of doing (well attempting) the Mt Anne circuit in mid May. We have some experience in our party and our biggest question is the weather. Are we mad even trying it? Should we look at doing something a little less exposed?
geoffmallo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Mt Anne in May - are we crazy

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 24 Apr, 2008 11:18 am

Anything can happen in May (as any time of year in Tasmania). You're certainly not crazy to be considering it, however, you need to check the weather forecast for the few days leading up to the walk, and be prepared to cancel (or change) your plans at the last minute. You are certainly more likely to have abysmal weather in May than in February, but less likely than in July. It is possible to string together a few good days in May, but it will almost certainly be very cold, even if the weather is still and clear.

Additionally, Mt Anne is far enough into the South West that it can get the typical SW rain/fog/sleet/snow for days on end, even when the weather forecast for the entire state is for fine and clear. BEWARE! and be prepared.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby wello » Thu 24 Apr, 2008 7:23 pm

I walked part of the circuit with the Launceston Walking Club in May one year and had perfectly clear weather. Only problem was it was very very cold. We camped at Judds charm I think, which is a sizable lake, and it partially froze over during the night. There's a lot of that circuit that's quite high, so the weather can get nasty. Also had 2 full days in the fog at shelf camp one time at Easter.

Good luck if you go.

Wello
wello
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tasadam » Wed 30 Apr, 2008 3:22 pm

We were geared up to do the circuit in February this year but the snow kept us at Shelf Camp.
We went along the ridge toward the Notch but turned back about 200 metres short, would have liked to see what it was like first hand.
Climbing Anne - from the last saddle you head diagonally up Anne across a cairned route through a boulder scree. Then you hit the cliff and think, ok, where'st eh track now... Then you look UP and see a cairn ABOVE you.
There are 2 tricky sections here - two short ascents that you don't want to get wrong. Once up there, you head along a ridge - there is a sloping section of rock you need to cross that was wet when we were there. In May at that altitude and on the south side, it is likely to be ice. That would be very dangerous.
Having done it myself now on a reasonable day, if there were snow up there I wouldn't attempt it.

I imagine the circuit is a lot like that.
Take care, think wisely and conservatively, and enjoy!
A NextG phone works at Shelf Camp - good for weather updates.
I hear it's a big day from Shelf Camp to Lonely Tarns in one day so as the days are shorter, if the going is slower still due to snow / ice, you might run out of time.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Pedro » Thu 22 May, 2008 8:50 pm

Here are a few pics of the difficult bit on Anne. When you hit the cliffs, look up to the left and you will see the cairn. The move to get up to the cairn isn't hard, but don't step back!
Mt_Anne1.JPG

Mt_Anne2.JPG

Here is the sloping ledge immediately above the crux. Its always wet and would be nasty on a frosty morning. you can see that cairn further along the ledge beyond the wet spot.
Mt_Anne3.JPG
Pedro
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Pedro » Thu 22 May, 2008 8:52 pm

Of course, when you get to the top, the view is stunning
View from the Mt Anne Summit.jpg
Pedro
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Pedro » Thu 22 May, 2008 9:14 pm

If you want to see what The Notch involves, there are some pictures here:
http://mchugh.gallery.netspace.net.au/notch
Pedro
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby angus4356 » Fri 13 Jun, 2008 2:04 pm

Mt Anne in late June - are we crazier?

Our party has moderate to good alpine (mountaineering) experience, very good backcountry experience and good gear. We're keen to poke around Mt Anne (or at least the Mt Anne area) for a couple of days towards the end of June.

My questions:

- Is High Camp Hut the best spot for shelter/camping? Where are the best alternatives?
- where is the best site for weather updates of relevance to the area?
- would snow shoes be of value on the approach? I assume ice axe and crampons are essential on the ascent.

I appreciate anyone's insights.

Regards

AH
angus4356
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby tasadam » Fri 13 Jun, 2008 2:43 pm

Well the good news is in Summer, Mt Anne can be done as a day walk, so you are "close" to your vehicle if you have to bail.
Boulder hopping is the first issue I see as an issue that might stop you - there are a number of large boulder screes you will need to cross. The boulders are very large and crevices may exist between them - not super-deep like the K2 movies & the like, but deep enough that if the top is blown over with snow, you may fall into a gap deep enough to sprain your ankle, or worse.

High camp hut is the only real shelter you will get up there (apart from the outhouse, which I wouldn't recommend). There are limited tent sites there too.
Your only other option as I see it is Shelf Camp.
Shelf camp is very exposed, and you have probably already read it has a reputation for blowing tents away.

Weather in late June??
Cold, windy, icy, snowy, all of the above?
Snow shoes? The snow cover would have to be pretty significant on those boulder fields for SS's to be of benefit as the boulders are so large - to cross over the top of them with snow shoes, you would need metres of snow, which is unlikely unless we get a big dump - in which case you wouldn't want to go anywhere near the place.

You really need to dig out as many photos of the ascent as you can find and imagine them being covered in snow and ice, to detirmine for yourself whether ice axe and crampons would be of benefit for you. Or indeed snow shoes as I have never used them so don't go by what I say.
I myself would not attempt this ascent in winter.
I'm not saying it cannot be done, because I don't know. But having seen it all covered in snow in summer (Feb this year), I wouldn't even try.

Weather - http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/tas/tas-o ... -map.shtml

Scotts Peak observations for June 2007 - http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/20070 ... 0706.shtml

Strathgordon observations for June 2007 - http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/20070 ... 0706.shtml (note the column "sun hours")

Low rocky point (limited data) June 2007 - http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/20070 ... 0706.shtml

Have a look around the sites and compare June / July last year and may & June this year. Can't help you much more than that.

A mobile phone on the NextG network would be of assistance - good coverage from Shelf Camp when I was there.

When I was there in Feb and the front came across while we were camped at Shelf Camp, with the wind and snow, I had an evacuation plan in mind, something along the lines of:
If things turned dire (tent ripped / can't get dry; tent blown away; some other unforseeable event that meant chances of survival reduced if we stayed there), we would get dressed into as much clothing as we could put on, get the head torches on, compass & whistle around neck, keep the spare batteries at the ready along with all the readily edible high energy food we could muster (dried fruit, chocolate etc), water easily accessable, full wet weather gear on inc. beanie or balaclava and snow gloves, GPS at hand with waypoints already set from the journey in, pack our gear as quickly as we could but try to keep the sleeping bags dry, hydrate (have a good drink before setting off), and head for Shelf Camp hut in a slow & steady & sure-of-foot manner. At the hut we would decide, based on how we felt, whether to get into our sleeping bags for some warmth and rest, or proceed to the car, the food stash, the welcoming heater, and guaranteed survival.
Sounds extreme, but having experienced a demolished tent in the middle of one night on an exposed ridge in southern Tassie some 16 years ago, it doesn't hurt to at least consider your options if a situation eventuated. The weather sure can turn it on!!
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby norts » Fri 13 Jun, 2008 3:10 pm

I have done the circuit in Sep with waist deep snow in places. Didn't even try for the summit as there was an entry in the hut log that said a party had tried and failed and they had crampons. We only had some rope.
We had really good weather but the snow slowed us right down.

High camp hut is ok but I don't remember much in the way of camping

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby PeterJ » Wed 18 Jun, 2008 10:06 pm

If there is frost and ice about be very very cautious. Experience is everything for this walk and I have seen and heard of many parties turning back even in good conditions.
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby geoffmallo » Wed 06 Aug, 2008 5:55 pm

Well a delayed update. Due to party injuries we did not even attempt any walk and had a slow May. Perhaps next time. Thanks everyone for your advice.

http://mycampgear.com
geoffmallo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Tasmania