Desktop version
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.

Forum rules

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.
Post a reply

Warners & Havelock Falls

Sun 08 May, 2011 2:29 pm

Yesterday we climbed up Johnsons' Track and onto Sales Lakes - on the Western Tiers. :D
We noticed that in the next valley to the east of Johnsons' Track are the Warners & Havelock Falls .
Does anyone know if there is a track into Warners & Havelock Falls :?:
Any information would be greatly appreciated :?:

Re: Warners & Havelock Falls

Tue 10 May, 2011 4:34 pm

roseart wrote:Any information would be greatly appreciated :?:
+1

Where did you start your walk?

Tue 10 May, 2011 4:59 pm

We drove along Bessells Rd - a forestry track until we encountered a sharp elbow turn in the track
that had us heading west for about 200 - 300 meters where there is another forestry track on the left
At the junction of these tracks we built a rock cairn - it has some red painted rocks on top of it.
Drive down this track for about 300 - 400 metres where there is good place to park the car.
After walking on about 100 - 150 metres on your right there is a ribbon on tree
this is the commencment of Johnsons'' Track
it is an easy track to follow up to the rim of the Western Tiers
If you continue to drive to the end of Bessells Rd
-about another 2 kms there there is another place to park your car
you can easily find the commencment of Sales Track which also gets you to Sales Lake.
We went up Johnsons' Track and came back via Sales Track.
It is another very lovley spot to experience.
Have fun :P

Mon 13 Feb, 2012 3:08 pm

I have done a few walks to Havelock Falls and it is well and truly worth the visit.
First time we started down in the Meander forest, as far as we could drive (lower down than Bessells Rd, there were several locked gates). It was a horrible slog across regrowth forestry area (starting near Dunning or Sales Rivulet from memory) until we reached the Duncansons Rivulet. We headed up to the west of the creekline and it was very slow and rugged going. We only just made it to the highest set of falls and it was a very arduous day.
SInce then we have gone in from Pine Lake on the Lake Highway. It is a very acheivable daywalk from there. Once you pass the saddle below Adams Peak, it is open and easy walking all the way.
If you make the trip an overnighter you will have time to go right down to the bottom of the chasm below Havelock Falls. There is a steep route in from the east. The gorge below the several sets of falls is equally spectacular. It is then possible to come up very close to the four or so sets of waterfalls, getting a good view of each one. There are some very impressive rock spires on the ridge to the north of the falls, giving an excellent view upstream. I have a few pics which I will attempt to upload if it isn't too technical to manage.
It is one of the most impressive falls I have seen, and the walk from Pine Lake is one of the most delightful off-track daywalks you will find anywhere.
I would be keen to head in there again soon if anyone is interested. Maybe take a few 50m ropes and have a really good look at the gorge. Could also be a worthwhile canyoning trip (overnight) from top to bottom.
Cla

Thu 06 Sep, 2012 2:14 pm

We had a trip up Staggs Track and back out the Johnstone track last weekend and visited both these falls. The views over the cliffs around Warners and Havelock falls are fantastic as already indicated in this thread. A full view of Lake Huntsman from this angle also looks pretty good. There is plenty of evidence of a past fire coming up through this gorge and onto the plateau. It's well worth a trip just to see the view of the gorges and the falls. Both falls are reasonably accessible and access from Staggs, Johnstone or from Pine Lake are relatively easy walking and not very far.

Here are a couple of pics as clarence has not posted any and I could not find any others on Bushwalk of these falls?
Warners-9021030.jpg
Part of Warners Falls
Warners-9021030.jpg (117.78 KiB) Viewed 4253 times

Havelock-9021017.jpg
Havelock Falls (not enough time to walk down to them this trip)
Havelock-9021017.jpg (113.99 KiB) Viewed 4253 times

Valley-Views-9021004.jpg
Valley Views - Lake Huntsman is just out of shot on the left in the distance
Valley-Views-9021004.jpg (112.93 KiB) Viewed 4253 times

Fri 07 Sep, 2012 6:19 pm

Hey, thanks for that Shazcol. It is nice to see some pictures of this walk.
Post a reply