Bastion Cascades Saturday 3rd May

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Bastion Cascades Saturday 3rd May

Postby corvus » Sat 03 May, 2008 6:35 pm

No herding Cats !! We did it with motivated participant's and even a member travelling up from Hobart to join us ,many thanks to John Hobart ,Simon Turners Beach, Simon Devonport and particularly Hal Ulverstone for planting the seed in our collective minds .
I was a fantastic walk through our wonderful Rain Forest with spectacular rock formations and waterfalls (shees all the adjectives) this walk is obviously not well frequented yet perfect for a day walk from the Devonport region ,left at 9:00am back in Devonport at around 4:30 pm so how easy is that.
I am looking forward to further day walks with this group and I believe that Quamby Bluff is our next destination with the "to do" list still full.
Again many thanks to our drivers and to all for such good company from a comparative bunch of strangers (John and I met up before on the anniversary walk to Lees) it was a really good day.
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Bastion Cascades Saturday 3rd May

Postby Speculator » Sat 03 May, 2008 7:16 pm

corvus wrote:No herding Cats !! We did it with motivated participant's and even a member travelling up from Hobart to join us ,many thanks to John Hobart ,Simon Turners Beach, Simon Devonport and particularly Hal Ulverstone for planting the seed in our collective minds .
I was a fantastic walk through our wonderful Rain Forest with spectacular rock formations and waterfalls (shees all the adjectives) this walk is obviously not well frequented yet perfect for a day walk from the Devonport region ,left at 9:00am back in Devonport at around 4:30 pm so how easy is that.
I am looking forward to further day walks with this group and I believe that Quamby Bluff is our next destination with the "to do" list still full.
Again many thanks to our drivers and to all for such good company from a comparative bunch of strangers (John and I met up before on the anniversary walk to Lees) it was a really good day.
corvus

Thanks for that Corvus. I'd like to repeat my thanks to everyone who came along today too. It was great. A thoroughly enjoyable day. The walk itself was great, and I think it could do with a bit more publicity. The falls were very nice, and some of the rock ledges, caves and overhangs were really brilliant.

It must have been a good day because I'm back home now and I don't even mind that I broke my camera (it's my own stupid fault anyway). Thanks to pomysi and flyfisher for driving. It was handy having someone with a 4x4. It meant we didn't have to walk up the road.

All in all, a good experience. Not that hard to organise either. Next on the todo list is probably Quamby Bluff, but like I said today, if anyone is keen for anything else let me know, I'll be happy to fit in any walks where I can.

L8r.
---
Peak bagging points: 10. Peak bagging bagging points: 10000.
Speculator
Optimus Imago
Optimus Imago

Postby flyfisher » Sat 03 May, 2008 8:34 pm

It was indeed a top day.It's great how friendly you fellers are. All in all makes for a great forum and the future prospects are exciting.

Great also to put faces to names , and make new friends. We have no enemies only friends we haven't met yet.

Flyfisher
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby sthughes » Sun 04 May, 2008 12:31 pm

Ditto to all of the above! :D

Just to answer the queries of yesterday the walk was 5.2km and took 4hrs 8min. Although this doesn't include the first 140m because I forgot to reset my GPS so I guess 5.4km and 4hrs15min or so. I've attached the track log file if anyone wants to check it out (I have joined it up in three spots where the GPS dropped out for a few seconds and I;ve also deleted the bit where we went trying to find the junction past the rock hut).

A great walk and I look forward to the next!

DSC07662.JPG

DSC07664.jpg
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby gorby » Sun 04 May, 2008 10:50 pm

A nice piece of walking up there,If you came across the sign "Crowdens Croft" it gets its name from Charles Crowden,an avid bushwalker of this area who must be well into his eighties now.He is a member of the deloraine walking club and he was our scoutmaster in the seventies.
My interest in bushwalking came from walks to meander falls and other places in this area.

The stone hut was a dissapointment for my wife,she was expecting something like a hut made from smaller stones :)
gorby
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby shanehugh » Mon 05 May, 2008 9:56 am

Great to see you had a good time guys, nice area to explore and some of those overhangs are fantastic . Is that intrepid little gnome adventurer still holed up in one of the caves there near the stone hut?
shanehugh
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Tasmania