Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.

Forum rules

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.
Post a reply

Re: 'The Abels' It's Here !!!

Wed 06 Jul, 2011 7:20 pm

So I finally had a look in these fabled books. First I had a look in the new one and couldn't figure out why he left out all the northern part of the state :? Then I realised we're not talking about 2nd edition here but volume 2 :lol: Anyway, nice books. Would want them both but it would be nice to see a 2nd edition of volume 1 with some better maps etc. ANother 15 years? Not that will ever climb a fraction of those peaks. But still :D

(And the map shop in Hobart got copies of all three as of yesterday but it seem the rush is over by now)

Sun 10 Jul, 2011 8:39 am

Hi all my just like to let you know that Volume 2 ( The Abels ) By Bill Wilkinson is now on the market and it is just fantastic and selling like hot cakes

ozzie041974 wrote:This will excite a few of you. I know it put a smile on my face when I walked into the book store in Launceston today. 'The Abels Volume One by Bill Wilkinson' has just been re- released. There is also a small slip of paper with a few updates and a mention of Volume 2 on the way.

It has not been released it will be it is Volume 2

ILUVSWTAS wrote:Grrr, I thought you were going to say Vol2 is out!! Vol1 has been availabe down here for as long as I can remember. And I've been hearing reports of Vol2 due out "any day now" since before last xmas.

What exactly does the slip say regarding Vol2??

It is on the market now Volume 2

Mon 11 Jul, 2011 10:08 am

Nutmeg01 wrote:Hi all my just like to let you know that Volume 2 ( The Abels ) By Bill Wilkinson is now on the market and it is just fantastic and selling like hot cakes

ozzie041974 wrote:This will excite a few of you. I know it put a smile on my face when I walked into the book store in Launceston today. 'The Abels Volume One by Bill Wilkinson' has just been re- released. There is also a small slip of paper with a few updates and a mention of Volume 2 on the way.

It has not been released it will be it is Volume 2

ILUVSWTAS wrote:Grrr, I thought you were going to say Vol2 is out!! Vol1 has been availabe down here for as long as I can remember. And I've been hearing reports of Vol2 due out "any day now" since before last xmas.

What exactly does the slip say regarding Vol2??

It is on the market now Volume 2

ummmm :?

Mon 11 Jul, 2011 10:15 am

Phil wrote:ummmm :?

I couldn't agree more.
It was 3 posts but they have been merged into one. Most strange.

Tue 12 Jul, 2011 10:11 pm

OK, ok (fwiw) i bought a copy, couldn't help it. I was thumbing through it at the local bookshop and was pretty impressed. Whatever else... it just contains an amazing collection of info and thoughts on 'mountains', how could anyone resist. Well done!

Wed 13 Jul, 2011 7:41 pm

I hate this book.
All except the SW section, because I've done so many of those. But the rest just keeps adding to the list of walks I really, REALLY desperately want to do. :(

Fri 19 Aug, 2011 5:51 pm

Is it just me or do others find that while The Abels are great resources they are not user friendly? (Or perhaps I've been spoilt by the Chapman books.)
- no legends for the maps
-brief summary of walks in Vol I (grade, time, track/no tracks, overnighters, etc) but not a simple find in Vol II
- no main map location

I realise that it may be deliberate to deter inexperienced walkers (especially with regards to Vol II) but shouldn't that fact be clearly stated (the inherent dangers) & let them decide/prepare/take necessary steps for themselves?

mmmm, not a criticism just an observation....

Fri 19 Aug, 2011 5:58 pm

No I think it is perfectly easy to follow. He does say on many of the more difficult sections these walks are for experienced walkers only. Many of them are multi day trips, so times arent really relevant.

Sat 20 Aug, 2011 4:48 pm

Okay, thanks for that, ILUVSWTAS.
I like a quick reference/summary that simply throws up possible suggestions, then I read further into it...
It is just a different format I guess that requires reading all the essays to get a handle on the climbs. :)

Mon 22 Aug, 2011 7:52 pm

lyndoor wrote:Is it just me or do others find that while The Abels are great resources they are not user friendly? (Or perhaps I've been spoilt by the Chapman books.)

I've had more useful info out of the Abels books than Chapman. On top of that, what's in there is accurate, while the more I refer to Chapman, the more errors I find.

Thu 03 Nov, 2011 10:25 am

I've got a copy of the Abels volume 2 for sale, details here - viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8013 Sold.

Sun 22 Apr, 2012 1:32 pm

The Abels website has been updated with some pretty pictures - scans from the covers and in particular, a number of pages from the Abels Volume 2.
More info here - http://www.theabels.dreamhosters.com/

Sun 05 Aug, 2012 3:57 pm

Any news of a reprint or updated 2nd edition of volume 1?

'The Abels' It's Here !!!

Mon 06 Aug, 2012 9:07 am

In short, it won't happen.
I do have another idea though, and have had a preliminary discussion with Bill. Nothing definite, just an idea.
If there is any update to this I will post details.

Mon 06 Aug, 2012 1:17 pm

tasadam wrote:In short, it won't happen.
I do have another idea though, and have had a preliminary discussion with Bill. Nothing definite, just an idea.
If there is any update to this I will post details.

Damn! I had a slight win at least yesterday - located a copy of volume 1 in excellent condition via google so that and vol.2 should be arriving in an Express Post satchel tomorrow.

Mon 06 Aug, 2012 1:19 pm

tasadam wrote:I do have another idea though, and have had a preliminary discussion with Bill. Nothing definite, just an idea.

Would be nice to release a special hard copy of the Abels 2 as there was a hard copy of Abels 1

Wed 08 Aug, 2012 6:18 pm

frenchy_84 wrote:Would be nice to release a special hard copy of the Abels 2 as there was a hard copy of Abels 1

I would settle for a hardcover I & II combined (together with the Addendum).

Thu 09 Aug, 2012 3:55 pm

north-north-west wrote:
frenchy_84 wrote:Would be nice to release a special hard copy of the Abels 2 as there was a hard copy of Abels 1

. . . or a PDF version that I can carry on my iPhone/iPad. :D

'The Abels' It's Here !!!

Fri 10 Aug, 2012 7:51 am

tas-man wrote:
north-north-west wrote:

. . . or a PDF version that I can carry on my iPhone/iPad. :D

Something like that, toying with the idea of an e-book. My computer's dead at the moment but I will be discussing further with Bill.

Fri 12 Oct, 2012 8:25 pm

Just as a by the way, I have a copy of vol. 1 for sale in the marketplace. I know I found it a little tough to find when I was looking for my first copy, so thought others might also be searching!

But also, some form of re-release would be awesome. Or an e-book.

Fri 12 Oct, 2012 8:44 pm

Nevermind...

Tue 02 Jul, 2013 11:18 am

The Abels Volume 1 reprint discussion here - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14020

Tue 08 Mar, 2016 8:56 pm

For anyone interested in Volume 1, I just posted THIS post.
Post a reply