Forth Falls

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Forth Falls

Postby Escape To » Wed 17 Aug, 2011 2:03 pm

My name is Karen Charleston and I am the land owner at Escape To where the Forth Falls walking track begins. I just wanted to bring everyone up to date on what is happening with the track.

To start with the cafe that was here closed in January 2010 and the signs at the main road which had the falls directions on them have been taken down. After some extensive renovations I now run a luxury accommodation place called Escape To. I have still allowed the track to be accessible by the public via the old car park for the café. If you travel down Buxton’s Road or Lake Barrington Road towards Lake Barrington you will see the Escape To sign, turn in here to the car park (not down the drive) as you park with your back to the lake you will see a farm gate with a Parks sign for the track on here. Go through this gate and follow the pink ribbon. The first half of the track has been well maintain, with some work still to be done on the second half but it is well marked with pink ribbon.

The car park and the first 900 meters is on private property but I am fine with anyone accessing it, if you do have a dog keep it on a lead to you get passed the dams. After the private land it goes onto Forestry and then onto National Parks. As they don’t do any maintenance on their parts it has been left up to us which we try and get to as much as we can, so please feel free to move anything of the track that is in the way.

If you have a look on our website http://www.escapeto.com.au you will see some information about the Forth Falls and also a map on how to get here, we are also on Google places.

Hope this information helps.
Escape To
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Forth Falls Land Owners
Region: Tasmania

Forth Falls

Postby corvus » Wed 17 Aug, 2011 5:14 pm

G'day Karen,
Welcome and many thanks for this information and in light of the article in today's Advocate I suspect you may get a bit of an increase in numbers.
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Forth Falls

Postby north-north-west » Fri 19 Aug, 2011 6:37 pm

Thank you very much, ma'am.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Forth Falls

Postby walkinTas » Mon 22 Aug, 2011 11:37 pm

Hi Karen,

The track takes one into two sets of falls (three if you count the drop into the Lake). Can you tell me how many sets of falls there are in total? My understanding is that before the dam there were seven drops, but I'm not certain of this.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Forth Falls

Postby Escape To » Tue 23 Aug, 2011 10:44 am

Before the damming of Lake Barrington in 1969 there were seven falls. After the damming only 1 and a half of the falls are now under water. Before the damming the original track only went to the first 5 falls. Now it goes to the top fall which back then would have been the 7th fall. The track into the falls takes about 30 minutes until you come to a spot we call Quoll Point from there you can go either to what we call the Lower fall (would have been the 5th fall) or the Top fall (would have been the 7th fall). There is a small faded yellow sign showing you where to take the track to the top fall, recently there was a huge tree that fell and took most of the track with it, this is where the sign is. When there river isn’t up to high you can walk down the side to the other falls.

How they got their name? It is Falls Creek that the falls are on at it was the Forth River that the falls ran into before Lake Barrington came about.
Escape To
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Forth Falls Land Owners

Forth Falls

Postby walkinTas » Tue 23 Aug, 2011 9:12 pm

Thanks,

So I have been to what must be the fifth and seven falls - is that correct?

The "Top" falls in my photos, are they the seven falls? And are the bottom set the fifth falls?
Attachments
Top_falls.jpg
Top falls and cascade
Top_falls.jpg (111.11 KiB) Viewed 4239 times
Bottom_falls.jpg
Bottom falls and swimming hole
Bottom_falls.jpg (119.95 KiB) Viewed 4240 times
Cascade_closer_to_river.jpg
Cascade closer to the river
Cascade_closer_to_river.jpg (149.23 KiB) Viewed 4239 times
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii